Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 8.0.2 locks up when trying to open files

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

I have found similiar posts but none address my problem directly.

I am running XP professional w/RoboHelp 8.0.2

When I try to open a file from robo help, or I'm attaching a style sheet and have to browse and open a file, or when I am looking for graphics and I have to browse then open a file - RH always locks up at the "open" part.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just wanted to add that i have uninstalled and reinstalled RH twice to try to fix the problem, but it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things to check:

1. Is your project on a network? If so, move it to a local drive.
  2. Is this only occuring on one project?

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response!

The project is not on the network, I'm working on a local copy. (resides on my desktop)

This error does occur on other projects. I also just created a new project to retest the issue, and the same thing is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the project's local - are the files that you're trying to access local too? How long are the path names to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, All the files are local as well.

They are all contained in the same folder with the robohelp project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the path names vary in length, but i don't even get to that point of being able to see them.

i do a file > open and it just locks up.

I get the same error when trying to retrive graphics, associate style sheets. Anytime an "open" command needs to happen, RH just locks up on me.

it's very odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just to confirm then......

If you create a test project in for example the C:\Source\<projectname> directory and go to add an image, open the project, the same issue arises?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Yes, it also happens with a completely new project as well.

The problem also happens if i want to add style sheet I created and have to do an "open" operation (for example, when you associate a stylesheet and select a folder)

lockup.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You might want to ask your IT folks to log in using one of their admin profiles and see if the problem persists. If the problem vanishes, ask them to create you a fresh profile.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing, when you say "on your desktop" do you just mean your computer? Or the "Desktop" folder on your computer? If it's the latter, as this resides in the "Documents and Settings" folder sometimes this is actually a network location (to allow people to work on different computers) and this would cause problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 26, 2010 Oct 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello this is Aleeesa, for some reason, I coudn't get in using my old screen name.

What eneded up solving the issue was when I came into work today. For some reason, plugging directly into our company LAN fixed my robohelp locking up.

In case anyone else is facing this issue, don't use your vpn, also when I did not use my vpn that did not work either, i had to be directly plugged into my companies LAN for it to work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

btw, when I had mentioned desktop, i did mean a folder on my desktop, but not in documents and settings.

Thank you for pointing that out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also thank you to everyone for responding!

i hope this post will help others who have problems working from home with RH. not sure why mine did this, but i'm hoping it helps others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm! Can I remind people that each RoboHelp licence allows you to install the application on PC and laptop (e.g. Office and Home) which would negate the need to run over a LAN. Of course I realise company policy may not allow this. Also the advice is always to have your source file local. By all means back up over the LAN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your response!

To be honest I ran this project from my desktop in the beginning, so I'm not sure why the file kept locking up on me. Although I was connected to a lan when I began the project. (there were no files that i accessed over the lan though, it was completely self contained, and there was no source control implemented either)

But it could be there that's some sort of company policy in place that got in the way of this, as you mentioned - hopefully that was it.

this could also be a "one-off" or fringe case based on some odd configuration of my desktop.

at the very least this post is a good record for anyone else. So if the issue comes up with another user, we might be able to narrow it down a bit.

Thank you again for the responses

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp