Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Odd Problem With Graphic Bullets in RoboHelp 8

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2010 Oct 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm converting an old RH project to RH8 and have been having and correcting the usual problems with bulleted lists, etc. However, I'm having one very odd problem with graphic bullets and was wondering if I'm missing something. The details:

• The client has two bulleted list items that use graphics instead of the bullet.

• The first is a graphic of the word "Note". I created a new style in RH8, selected the Note graphic as the bullet graphic, and it worked fine. The Note graphic was a BMP, which I converted to PNG using Snag-It.

• The second is a graphic of the word "Important". I created a new style in RH8 that's identical to the new style for the Note graphic, selected the Important graphic as the bullet graphic, and it will not display. No matter what I do, this item shows the standard bullet rather than the "Important" graphic as the bullet. The Important graphic was a BMP, which I converted to PNG using Snag-It.

• I've checked the CSS for the project and the codes for the two styles are identical, literally, except that one calls the Note graphic for list-style and the other calls the Important graphic for list-style. Note works; Important does not.

Before I start adding the CSS code to this post, does anyone know of any really odd bugs regarding the width of a graphic or something like that?

Thanks,

Neil Perlin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if anything in this helps?

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/rh8_lists.htm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reference. I'd done what you described in the RH8 section - create a new graphic bullet style as a list style and specify the button graphic, indents, etc. there. The results are still weird, like so...

- I created the new style as a list style in a new test project, using the same graphic that's not working in the real project, the word "Important". It worked correctly in all modes - Design, Preview, and AIRHelp.

- I then created the new style as a list style in the real project using the same settings as in the test project. It worked correctly in Design and Preview modes but still substitutes a standard HTML bullet for the "Important" graphic in AIRHelp.

- I then copied the style settings from the new test project's CSS to the real project's CSS, so the two CSSs are using the same settings. I also checked in HTML view to make sure the code was the same, which it is:

• My first important bullet item.

When I generate THIS output for the real project in AIRHelp, using what I think is the exact same code that worked in the new, test project, it's fine in Design and Preview modes but still substitutes a standard HTML bullet for the "Important" graphic in AIRHelp.

- My initial thought was that there was some odd length limit for graphics that would make AIRHelp ignore the graphic bullet if it was too long, like the problem you describe in the Print Documentation section at the end of your post. However, this obviously isn't the problem since the graphic bullet displayed correctly in AIRHelp when generated for the test project but not for the real one. So there must be something in the real one's CSS that interfering, but I'm not seeing it.

Thoughts?

Regards, Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thought is the order of things in the CSS. Can you try the temp CSS in a copy of the real project? Or just specify that in the layout of the real project where it will just affect that output.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

Good suggestions but no luck, I'm afraid. Specifically...

- I created a copy of the real project and put a copy of the test project CSS into the copy of real project to see if it would fix the problem. No luck. I still get the HTML bullet in place of the "Important" graphic.

- I moved the "Important" style to the top of the CSS and regenerated the output. No luck. Same result.

- I looked through the entire CSS from the real project - not as much fun as you'd think - to see if a tag may be interfering with the "Important" graphic. Again, no luck.

- Re the possibility of the bullet graphic being bad - I recreated it and displayed it in various graphics viewers and it looks fine.

- Re the possibility of there being SOMETHING in the CSS that might still interfere with the "Important" style - I created another list-based style called Neil - LI.Neil - and put it at the end of the CSS so that it would override anything, not that there's anything in the CSS called Neil anyway, and applied that Neil style to the material. No luck.

I thought there might be SOME limit to the width of a graphic button that AIRHelp will display, but the same wide "Important" graphic bullet worked in the test project.

I'm stumped...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil

You said at the outset you had applied the usual corrections, define usual.

Have you seen Using RH8 on my site. The topmost item might be worth a look.

If that gets you nowhere, I'm as puzzled as you. Could you strip the copy down to just a couple of topics that exhibit the problem? If so see my Contact page and send that and the working project. I'll try to look tomorrow but if I can't then I'm away for a few days.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Go to Tools > Options and tick the Convert RH Edited Topics to HTML.

It only affects the output, not the source.

See if generating with that set makes it work.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Already tried generating with this setting off and on. Currently on, no effect I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2010 Oct 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Hope Peter doesn't mind me jumping in. Can you post the css for the lists and the html from a list you made? I'd like to have a look.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem at all. Glad to have your expertise on board with this one.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good. The more fresh eyes, the better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willian,

Feel free to jump in. Given the condition that I describe, there has to be some stray piece of code in the CSS that's interfering with this style but I've been staring at the code so long that I'm probably not seeing it.

I do need to get the client's permission to let other people see this, so I won't be able to push it out until about 9 AM ET at the earliest. Where are you located?

Regards,

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's understandable. You can PM me if you can't put the code on the internet al large.

I'm in Holland GMT+1, that's about 6 hours+ to ET if I'm correct.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good. Thanks.

Do me one favor (and Peter, the same request to you) - I'm sure the client will be OK with this but they may not want the project open-posted on the forum. Can you both email me at nperlin@nperlin.cnc.net and let me know your regular email address. And assuming that the client is OK with this, what do you want me to send you - the CSS and a topic that contains the offending style, or the entire project? It's tiny, about 35 topics, so it won't cause problems with the attachment size. It just depends what you guys want.

Regards,

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My preferred solution is on the Contact page of my site.

Suggest use cutesendit or similar then you can send to both Willam and myself in one hit. If you send today, email is OK though.

I prefer the whole project as then I know I have anything that might be the cause and importing just CSS and HTM into a new project might fix it anyway.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

By "usual", I meant converting the bullet styles to li styles, that sort of thing.

I'll look at the Using RH8 section on your site, though I won't be able to get to it until Thursday morning. (I'm on the East Coast, outside Boston.)

I probably won't be able to get a copy of the project to you before you go away, and I'm supposed to present the project to the client on Monday at 9 AM, so that doesn't leave any slack time. However, I've already warned the client about the problem and told them that the workaround, hopefully a temporary one, would be to create a two-column table and put the graphic bullet in the left column and the text in the right - the usual... But if it is a fixable problem, I'll go back, fix it, and send them the fixed version on my own. I don't like leaving problems unresolved.

I imagine it must be right in front of my eyes. But after staring at code for hours, I may just need a fresh pair of eyes. I'll be in touch tomorrow. Thanks.

Regards,

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp