Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to calculate video size?

Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 30 minute video here and I need to know what the outcome file size will be.

it's 512 x 512, each pixel is 6 bits and I want to render in 24fps. Do I multiply all of this together? It doesn't really give me a number I can regcognize

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

File size is calculated simply using duration x bitrate.  Other things like frame rate, dimensions and bpc will have little effect.

It ain't necessarily so.

While that is true if you are exporting to a format and codec that has variable bit rates, if you are using an uncompressed format or a lossless codec (like Lagarith, for example), those other elements--frame rate, dimensions, and bit depth--are primary factors in file size.

For example, I just did a quick test using 6 seconds of a simple red s

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

30 (minutes) x 60 (seconds) x 24 (FPS) x 6 (BPC) x 3 (RGB or 4 x for RGBA) x 512 (horizontal dimension) x 512 (vertical dimension). This is in bits, not bytes.

But I don't think you can export with 6 BPC, only with 8 or 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a page that has some additional information beyond Harm's answer:

"Storage requirements for output files"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File size is calculated simply using duration x bitrate.  Other things like frame rate, dimensions and bpc will have little effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It ain't necessarily so.

While that is true if you are exporting to a format and codec that has variable bit rates, if you are using an uncompressed format or a lossless codec (like Lagarith, for example), those other elements--frame rate, dimensions, and bit depth--are primary factors in file size.

For example, I just did a quick test using 6 seconds of a simple red solid matte in a 24p sequence, exported using Microsoft AVI/None in three different frame sizes. Here's the results:

100x100: 4,407 KB

512x512: 115,212 KB

1920x1080: 911,262 KB

Huge differences, due to just one of those other factors. However, when using something like MPEG-2 or H.264, you can control the bitrate, and each of those three encodes would be pretty similar in file size.

Jim--I know you know all this, but I just thought it prudent to point out that there are those other factors to consider when dealing with certain encoding scenarios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines