Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attaching debugger to particular instance of Flash Player

Nov 01, 2010 Nov 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two instances of Flash Player 10 on a web page.  One instance runs a very small SWF for server communication and the other is the primary interface for the enduser.

The issue comes up when debugging.  When I launch the debugger it ALWAYS connects to the server comm SWF and not the one I want to debug.

In Flex 3 I could just launch a blank page and right-click to attach the debugger.  This no longer works in Flash Builder 4.

Any tips on how I can target a particular instance of the Flash Player for debugging?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2010 Nov 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you trying  to debug a remote application or an application that FB launches when  you click debug? Could you also let me know what projects you have in  your workspace? I am assuming you have a project for the primary  interface. Do you also have a project for your server communication swf?

You  should be able to launch a blank page from FB 4.0 and attach a  debugger. What is not working about this? Is that because you can't  launch a blank page or the player doesn't connect back to the running  debugger in FB 4.0?

Thanks,

Sedat Akkus

Computer Scientist, Flash Builder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are you trying  to debug a remote application or an application that FB launches when  you click debug?"

I am running an ASP.NET website that launches a page with the two Flash Players embedded.

I have tried launching a "blank" page to get the debugger monitoring, then launch through the website but the "Debugger" option on the right click menu is disabled.  This used to work with Flex Builder 3.  When I do this, the debugger attaches to the network comm SWF.

"Could you also let me know what projects you have in  your workspace?"

I have 12 different projects or libraries open in this project(8 flex libraries and 4 SWF/Modules).  This does not include the network comm project/swf that is being loaded.

"What is not working about this? Is that because you can't  launch a blank page or the player doesn't connect back to the running  debugger in FB 4.0?"

I can launch a blank page but the "Debugger" option in the Flash Player(on the webpage) is disabled.  The other Flash Player is not visible since it's only used for network comm.

If I launch through the "Debug foo" menu option, the debugger automatically attaches to that lite weight network comm SWF rather than the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The debugger option is usually disabled if the SWF that the player running is not a debug version. Are you sure that your application SWF is a debug version but not release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a debug version.  I've mapped a virtual directory in

IIS to the bin-debug folder of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you could direct me to a site that would explain the process of doing this, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  I did have it working in Flex 3 but have not been able to use the same process to achieve this in Flash Builder 4.

I did a quick look on Google for the instructions I had but have not been able to locate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the late response. What you are doing sounds right to me. In fact, you don't even have to try "blank" page trick for this project, the debugger should connect to you primary swf when you launch the app from FB. What I can recommend right now is to file a bug so that we can do further investigation.

My last advice would be to use the release version of the server SWF. I believe that would solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines