Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Assistance Required in Duplicating Projects - RH8

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2010 Nov 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My team has been working with RoboHelp 8 and we have one huge project that we are updating, but would like to duplicate some pieces of the project (NOT the entire thing). Specifically, the existing project contains Books with up to 13 pages and we would like to 'copy' those into seven new separate projects.

Up until now we have been importing each HTML file into the new project. Some files are grouped into books, which cannot be imported into new project. Is there an easier, faster way to copy or duplicate each "book" from one project to another, without doing each of them separately?

As well, the documents we are dealing with have many links attached - some to other pages in RH, some to our server. Is importing or duplicating these topic pages and "books" detremental to the existing links, is there a risk of breaking the links altogether?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

I might think it would be almost faster to just duplicate the complete project, then pare away what is unwanted.

Just a thought... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

The existing project we are working with is enormous, and the reason for the spilt into seven separate projects is because of the many issues we are having with such a big project to begin with. We were under the impression that Robohelp was meant to be used in smaller projects, not one enormous one. That's why we are trying this.

We have until now imported pages of HTML into the new project, but it is time consuming and we are looking for an effective way to duplicate large amounts over.

Is there any known way to do this, or can it be done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's time to consider merged help. The output appears as one to the end user but is created from separate projects.

See Merged Help on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I'm not aware of any really simple way to coax mass amounts of topics into RoboHelp. The best you can probably do is use the File > Import and multi-select topics. I do believe there is a limit to the number of topics that may be imported this way. If memory serves, the limit was related to the length of the filenames involved as there was a character count limitation on the import dialog.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here with a brilliant suggestion.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think that RH is necessarily bad at handling big projects, but agree that it can be easier to manage smaller ones if only because the TOCs are shorter and they generate faster. I don't know of a way to do exactly what you're attempting (copying books or groups of related topics), but I agree that you are probably better off duplicating the entire project and then removing the topics you don't want. That way, you won't have to reapply master pages, rebuild the TOC, or re-do your links. However, you will need to manually delete each topic you don't want, which can take a long time but is pretty mindless. It would be a great project for those days when you're not particularly inclined to write yet another update to the material in the existing help!

Both your current approach and duplicating the entire project and paring it down are likely to take some time, but you only need to do it once and you'll be set going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp