• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a project size limit for Captivate 3?

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2010 Oct 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using Captivate 3 and building a project that is currently approximately 19,200 KB.  I don't know if that's too large but as I continue to build, it seems to be acting funny like it's too big.  For instance, it closed on me without warning which it never did before.  Also it's taking longer & longer to prepare for previewing. My project is only about 1/3 finished so I'm concerned I'm going to get into more & more problems given its growing size. 

I thought to break it into smaller projects and link them using the MenuBuilder but I haven't figured out a way to get back to this menu page from the project.  In Advance Settings of a particular menu item, I can select "Open link in the same window."  This happens but at the end of watching that linked project, I just get a blank screen.  If I "X" out of that project at the end of it using the "X" on the menu, I get a white screen. If I use the MS Window's "X", then everything closes included the menu preview window.  Is it possible to somehow use a button to get back to the menu page and not have a 2nd window open for the menu item that was selected? Or maybe I can keep building in a single project b/c there is no size limit?

Thank you,

Jeanne

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2010 Oct 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Jeanne

Indeed Captivate 3 projects *DO* actually have a "size limit". But I'm unaware of any specific byte size that is to be concerned about. Typically we recommend folks keep projects at somewhere between 50-65 slides as a "rule of thumb" guideline for an upper limit.

There are a great many factors that come into play with this. Things such as:

Authoring PC Specifications (available memory, hard drive, processor speed, etc.)

How many objects are on each slide

Generally you are able to split things up and perform what is called a "Daisy Chain" approach. This is where one project ends and another is launched as the ending action. You may also specify that the end action for projects be to open the SWF that contains the menu.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2010 Nov 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thank you so much for this great information.  I'll try the daisy chain approach.

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick,

I tried to start a project at the end of another project (daisy chaining as you mentioned). I went into Edit>Preferences>Project>Start and End and used the "..." in Project End Options to locate the .SWF file of the project I wanted to start next. However, when I publish & run that first project, I get the error "Cannot find..." and it lists the file path that I designated.  I then tried to like to the CP file of the project.  That just opened a blank IE browser window.  Help!  Do I need to have all the .SWF files in the same folder maybe?

Thank you,

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources