Expand my Community achievements bar.

Windows Certificate Store

Level 1

HI:

I'm trying to disable the option for the users of my form to create a digital signature using the Windows Certificate Store option. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks,

Annika

4 Replies

Former Community Member

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are asking.  Is it that you want users to sign a pdf with a specific certificate, and that the certificate cannot be stored in the Windows Certificate store?

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to configure Acrobat or Reader to ignore credentials (to be used for signing) stored in the Windows Certificate store.  You can disable the ability for Acrobat and Reader to access the Windows Certificate store as it relates to certificates used to validate signatures (see attached screen shot).

If you are trying to force a user to sign with a specific certificate, you can set "signature seed values" in the PDF to determine a specific ceretificate that must be used to sign the document, or specific certificates issues by a specific certificate authority.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Level 1

Hi Steve:

Thank you for your response to my query. Just to ensure it’s clear, I have included a screen capture of the option we want to eliminate from our form when users create the digital signature.

We don't want our users to be able to select the "Windows Certificate Store" option from the "Add Digital ID" screen below. We want them only to be able to store their digital ID as a New PKCS#12 digital ID file.

If setting the "signature seed values" in the PDF will help us accomplish this, would you be able to provide us with or point us toward instructions that tell us how to do this in LiveCycle? There isn't any mention of this is the manual we have, and being new to LiveCycle, do not have any experience with signature seed values.

Thanks!

Annika

<<ole0

Former Community Member

Annika

The screen shot you mentioned did not get uploaded, but I have attached a screen shot that I believe you are talking about.  Setting seed values in a signature field will not prevent or disable this option. 

There is no way that I am aware of to disable this option.  Maybe it doesn't matter, but what is the reason that you want to disable or block this option?

Regards
Steve

Level 1

Hi Steve:

I didn't get your screen shot either.

The reason we want to disable the Windows Certificate Store option is due to the fact that the digital signature file itself isn't password protected. We are using this technology for a copyright transfer agreement form that is often filled out by users who share a computer. If we can't suppress this functionality, we will have to write documentation that makes it clear to the user that choosing the Windows Certificate Store option will allow their digital signature to be available to others who use his/her computer.

For legal reasons, we'd prefer to prevent our users from having this option at all. I hope this helps!

Best,

Annika