Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to create links between child projects in Merged Webhelp

Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had recently created a merged webhelp project according to Peter Grainge's directions, which worked as advertised. However, when trying to set up another merged webhelp project I find that I am unable to create the links between the child projects (step 4). I've backed out all of the environmental changes that have occurred (different antivirus and firewall, Adobe Security patch released recently) since setting up the first merged project, but I am still unable to create the links between the children. In fact, I can no longer create links between the children in the previously working merged webhelp. I'm at the point of trying to reinstall Robohelp, but thought I'd first ask if anyone else has had this problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner.

I think first step here is to download the sample project afresh, or unzip afresh, and see if links can be created then.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, Peter, I'm sure you are very busy.

I am not able to create a new link from child1's first topic in the source folder (child1_1) to child_2's first topic in the source folder (child_2)in a freshly unzipped folder of your sample project.

Here is what I have done since Friday:

Over the weekend I installed a trial version of RH8 on a PC at home and was able to create a new merged webhelp project. No problem creating the links between the children.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled RH8 on my work PC thinking that it may have been fallout from the security patch that I applied last week. No such luck! I still get the same "dunk" sound from Windows when I click OK to create the link.

Our company had installed a new security package on all of our PC's on 10/29/10. Last week I "exited" the software by right-clicking it in the status bar, and still got the same result; but I think that it was still resident, as I did not reboot, so I should not rule it out as the culprit. I'll talk to the admin to see if he can change the settings (I can't), but if not, I think I'll try uninstalling that software temporarily to see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, I'll take the new project from my work PC tonight and try to create the links on my home PC to prove that it is something in this environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do think it is an environment issue. Right now I am up against a deadline but should be clear in a few days.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks.

When you do get some time, I'd be interested to know if I accidentally responded "yes" to the prompt about external links, would a simple uninstall and reinstall work, or would I have to deactivate the product on this PC, wipe out every related bit (files, registry) to get back to square one. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but the program leaves a lot of stuff about and I'm wondering if that could be the problem. I'm hesitant to deactivate, etc. if it is not needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reinstating warnings should just require an uninstall and reinstall. Not sure if that one is covered in Snippets on my site.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp