Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Burrito Mobile Android App - Can't Debug On Device

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I followed the TwitterTrends tutorial on how to build a mobile android app.  I got to the point to debug on the device (phone, mine is Motorolla Droid - Android 2.2 os), and it just doesn't work.  Here is what is set up on my phone:

• Phone is connected with USB
  • USB storage is on
  • USB Debugger is turned on
  • The phone is connected to the wireless network that my computer is plugged into - development computer can ping my phone
  • My computer's firewall is off
  • I have followed all the instructions on how to debug on the device, nothing, can't find a device

So, my coputer sees my phone (I can browse its directories) and my phone sees my computer.  What else could be going wrong??  Not much on the internet about people having problems and seems like it should be easy.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!!

Thanks,

Peter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the error you are seeing and which OS is your computer on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it working - needed to shut down flash builder and restart... The

usual kill it and re-open did the trick.

Was no error, FB just reported it couldn't find a device...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but the restart didn't work.

Anyone have some other advice?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the 2.x components of the Android SDK:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

This was not explicitly mentioned in the Sample Tutorial, but i found out in other blogs/forums.  So your computer needs to have this installed separately even though Burrito comes with the android mobile app framework.

Follow the steps that Google provides and install everything you need, takes a while.

Then it will work - i also did a restart, but i think this was the real solution

Let me know how it works!

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck...

I installed everything Google wanted to, but it didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check my original post - make sure you have done all the things in the bulleted list.

Some other questions:

1.  What phone are you using

2.  What type of computer and OS are you using?  I was using Dell desktop with Windows XP.

3.  Get the IP address from your phone (go into wireless settings, etc..), and be sure your development computer can ping your phone.  Even though you are connected via USB, you still need to be visible on the network.

4.  Did you install the USB and droid drivers so the phone can communicate with your machine?

Other than that, i am not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all

I had some problems in debugging mobile android app and the reason was that even the laptop and mobile phone was on the same wi-fi somehow they didn't get thru to each other....

What worked for me was that i turned the wi-fi tethering on( Nexus one ) and hooked my laptop to that....after that debugging started working like a charm.

I think that the wi-fi tethering is available in android 2.2 and later...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not have to do tethering on my Motorola Driod - but good to know that

is a potential requirement for other phones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

It's not a requirement but more of like a potential solution for debugging.

wifi tethering -> turns your phone to a wifi router to which a laptop can hook on to and there wouldn't be any strange rules to prevent your debugging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I didn't answered earlier.

For some reason my company had all the USB ports blocked and Burrito couldn't write to the device.

I unblocked them and it worked fine

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here but I'm using the HTC Desire

I've installed the driver but FB cant connect to the device whether its on debug or run mode.

Windows 7 32 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But does it still add your app to your device ?

and it keeps asking for the debugger location ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nop, the .apk file doesnt get to the device at all.

I've tried running the app without connecting the device, the builder notified me that no device was connected, so I plugged it again and hit refresh. The device was recognised, I selected it but after running it again, still nothing on the device. :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is your phone in debug mode ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, the debugging setting is enabled. Flash Pro was communicating with my device perfectly! the problem is with Buritto for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's weird...

maybe the usual restart burrito / pc would help...

or check the usb driver  installation instructions from adobe site

..cant remember the url now but google...i think i remember that they had instructions how to add the newer android phonesto the usb driver support list...that might be the problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem, mentioned earlier, was that I did not have all the android SDK

files downloaded from google. This was not explicitly spelled out in the

burrito tutorials. This took a while to download and install, but that

solved it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed the Android SDK (win xp) and still unable to debug from my Nexus One.

The device is properly detected in FB, but shows nothing in the OS Version column.

FB also throws an error "Device's OS is not supported by AIR.  Minimum supported OS version is 2.2 (Froyo)".

Seems like a bug in FB because I actually run 2.2 Froyo and AIR is installed on my device.

Anybody encountered that type of behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double check the OS, as I tried to debug/test on HTC Eris Droid, and it was

dropped from the Android update list - it is stuck forever at 2.1. I

thought it was at 2.2, then I checked and it never got the update.

If yours is really at 2.2 and you installed Adobe Air, check that your phone

is in debug mode and that it is connected to your wireless network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks pmcalenney1 for your quick response.

• OS is 2.2 under Settings -> "About this phone"
  • Phone is in Debug mode
  • Both my laptop and my device uses the same wireless network.

Also, please note that Flash Builder is showing the correct AIR version number installed on my device in the configuration menu, but nothing in the OS Version column.

Anything I might have missed?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem on a Samsung Epic 4G from Sprint, I updated to Froyo manually using an official release from google. For some reason my app (air.com.justinbuser.BuzeyTunes) doesn't show up in the market when I search even though Air itself does and my app runs fine on the device when I install the apk manually. I'm thinking there is some setting in the Android OS somewhere that indicates what the devices capabilities are that for whatever reason doesn't get updated when installing non service provider updates. Ergo I don't believe it's actually an issue with FB so much as an issue with the capabilities reported by the phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  How did you manage to export your Flex app to an apk?  Using command line?

My Nexus One is brand new (Videotron), was coming with 2.2, and FB just won't let me export it correctly.

Could this be related to the USB drivers that comes with Flash Builder?  Is there some updated version of the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Burrito builds the apk automatically every time you choose run/debug on device, it also builds an apk when you export release build. You did create your project using new->mobile application right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is a mobile application.

Thing is there is no way for me to run/debug on my device as FB detects lower than 2.2 Froyo and just throws an error.

Did you ever ran into this.  Is there any other way to generate my apk file using Flex's SDK? (without Flash Builder)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines