Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confirm Stream Loss Message

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2006 Jun 06, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I appreciate this forum so much. It is the only place I can go for assistance with RoboHelp issues.

I recently received a translated (French) version of our English help system and tested the links, popups, and drop-down text. I recompiled the help system and printed several reports. I noticed a file called “thumbs.db” on my Unused Files Report and attempted to delete it in Explorer but could not find the file. When I tried to copy the help system onto our network for backup, I got the following message.

The file ‘Thumbs.db’ has extra information attached to it that might be lost if you continue copying. The contents of the file will not be affected. Information that might be lost includes:
:encryptable:$DATA
Do you want to proceed anyway?

I clicked “Yes to All” and the system copied OK.

Can you tell me what this message means and whether or not the performance of the help system will be impacted if I distribute the .chm file? I’ve never seen this message in our English version and I don’t know what to do to resolve this message. What causes this message? Any suggestions for resolving this issue????

Any information you can provide will be very much appreciated. I maintain this help system and I am a novice user.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 07, 2006 Jun 07, 2006
John,

Thanks!! You are so right...a quick response is worth its weight in gold! My thanks to you and to Rick.

(:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Saro 58,

The ever annoying thumbs.db file is an operating system file that helps the system browse for images. Windows adds these to every folder unless you tell it not to. It could be that it is turned on on your French colleagues' computer but not on yours or that your Windows version just doesn't have it. If you try to copy it from one folder to another, Windows will scratch its head and ask "how can this local file leave home and still work?" It would be best to delete this file. Since you couldn't find it in explorer, you probably have system files 'hidden.'

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your response. People like me depend on people like you...so thanks!

I looked in Control Panel and I am set up to show hidden files. I still can't find the file so I can't delete it. Do you think this is going to cause any performance problems in the .chm file?

How can I tell Windows NOT to add this file to every folder? Exactly where would I do that and how?

I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Saro 58

Obviously I'm not John, so I do hope he will pardon my intrusion into the thread.

To prevent Windows from creating the thumbs.db files, from Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options... > View tab.

Click to place a check mark in the "Do not cache thumbnails" check box.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2006 Jun 07, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for the response. I've selected that Windows option so this probably won't happen again. However, more importantly, since I can't find the thumbs.db file, will leaving it in the help system cause any performance or other types of problems?

I have great respect for your knowledge...you've helped me before. I need to get the .chm file to the software developers soon so hope reassure me that that pesky thumbs.db file won't cause any problems in the compiled file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for the response. I've selected that Windows option so this probably won't happen again. However, more importantly, since I can't find the thumbs.db file, will leaving it in the help system cause any performance or other types of problems?

I have great respect for your knowledge...you've helped me before. I need to get the .chm file to the software developers soon so hope you can assure me that that pesky thumbs.db file won't cause any problems in the compiled file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm sure the unused file won't cause any problems.

Rick,

You can intrude on my threads anytime. My philosophy is that quick responses are important on the forum and I try to answer whatever questions I can and often hope for others to add their two cents. We are all in different time zones and available at different hours, so the relay approach often works.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
John,

Thanks!! You are so right...a quick response is worth its weight in gold! My thanks to you and to Rick.

(:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp