• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open some pdf files

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. Sorry to bother you guys but i'm really puzzled about something. Recently I've had problems opening some pdf files (they open fine on a pc). When i try to open it, the preview window opens but i am told "For the best experience, open this PDF portfolio in Acrobat 9 or Adobe Reader 9, or later." I have on several occasions downloaded the latest version, but this does not seem to solve the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW I am using a macbook running on leopard. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you're trying to open them in Reader and not Mac Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where bubbles went, but this just happened to me for the first time EVER using Mac OS X. I just received a pdf from a co-worker that gives me the  "For the best experience, open this PDF portfolio in Acrobat 9 or Adobe Reader 9, or later." when trying to open it with Preview. Like I said, I've never had Preview fail to open a pdf before. Has this been seen before? Is there something new r different about how this pdf might have been created that Preview doesn't handle?

I had recently downloaded a demo of YNAB (You Need A Budget) which also installed Adobe AIR (ugh). Thinking that might have changed something, I uninstalled AIR, rebooted, but no change. This pdf is still unopenable in Preview.

BTW, I am totally uninterested in installing Reader on my system and am hoping I can deal with this singularity.

Thanks to anyone with any insight...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I'm here!

Still having the same problem!! It's kind of a hit and miss situation. I'm wondering if its a problem with Adobe, or Preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To both of you, PDF porfolios need to be opened in Reader, not Mac Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Portfolios utilize Flash.

My understanding is that Preview does not support Adobe Flash.

So, yes - gotta use Adobe Reader (9.x) to effectively view a Portfolio.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, graffiti and ctdave... are Adobe portfolios new?

The person that created this doc said she'd tried to assemble several docs into one pdf, as she does often, but was unable to this time, so created a portfolio instead. Interesting thing is that after she created and forwarded the doc to someone else, who included it in an email sent out to many others on a team, she could not open the very document she created - it gives her the same "For the best experience..." message. She is using the latest Reader, btw.

Thanks for the info - I'm getting somewhere in my quest to understand, but there's more to this particular mystery, it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And oh by the way...   ...dare I say it considering the 'spat' between Adobe and Apple regarding Flash? But what a ridiculous use of Flash! What is the point, other than to 'compile' documents into yet another "gotta have this special tool to create and use this doc" utility. Sorta like what Outlook does when it compiles some attachments into a proprietary winmail dat file. Messes up Win and Mac users who don't converse thru Outlook.

What's wrong with the pdf standard that Adobe feels it necessary to use Flash to embellish it? Ugh!

That's my soapbox - sorry. But regardless, I really do appreciate the answers received to my and bubbles' query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks CtDave, Graffiti and Kevin! I can finally open those files! I feel rather silly now that I think about it. The adobe reader I've downloaded has been sitting in my apps folder for the longest time but it never did occur to me to use that to open those files :X

Once again, many thanks and hope you guys are well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what was the final outcome of this problem?

I have been receiving this error constantly and I need some guidance to work around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The outcome was, use Adobe Reader and not Mac Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem happening on a PC and not a Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may want to start a new thread on this since it would be a different cause. Be sure to include OS, Version of Reader, type of file, how the file is being (or trying to be) opened and exactly what happens (error messages...etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines