• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will RH7 run on Win 7 64-Bit? Thoughts on Newer Versions?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just got new computers at work and I'm in the process of moving data and reinstalling software. Will RH7 run on my new computer? It's a Win 7 64-bit machine. Or is this a good excuse to upgrade?

Also, what are pros and cons of moving to something later than RH7? I've not had time to play around with anything new, and don't even know what the latest RH version is out there.

Thanks in advance,

Jared

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Various threads seem to indicate running older versions in the XP Compatibility Mode that you can run in Win7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2010 Nov 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, but according to this post...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/915801#915801

... it says that RH7 does not support a 64-bit system. Do anyone have an officially correct answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not sure if I'm to be considered any sort of an "official" response other than to report that I am successfully using RoboHelp 7 on a 64 bit Windows 7 system of my own.

But I don't do it by simply running it in XP Compatibility mode. What I did do was to install the Microsoft Virtual Machine with XP mode and install RoboHelp 7 in the VM. I believe this provides a 32 bit version of Windows XP to run in. I also had to upgrade my Windows 7 from Home edition to Ultimate. (I think Professional will work too) This was to run the VM.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick.

What about RH8? Do you have to do the same thing for that version? It looks like that's the latest out there. The Sys Reqs for that seem to indicate that only XP and Vista 32-bit versions are spported for that as well:

System requirements

Windows

• 1GHz or faster processor
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit editions)
  • 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
  • 1.2 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on ash-based storage devices)
  • 1,024x768 display (1,280x800 recommended) with 16-bit video card
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Broadband Internet connection required for online services*

Thanks,

Jared

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jared

So I have RoboHelp X5, 6 and 7 running in my VM in case I need access to those versions. I installed RoboHelp 8 directly in Windows 7 64 bit and it seems to work just fine for me. Admittedly I do see an occasional crash or where it goes belly up with a not responding, but then again that's happened to me for so long that it's just part of using RoboHelp. Long ago I accepted the fact it's simply software just like any other software and as such has flaws.

I understand that RoboHelp 8 on Windows 7 64 bit is likely to work but is not officially blessed by Adobe as them claiming it should work without issue.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to Rick's information, the point about RoboHelp 7 not being supported means that Adobe will not provide support through their Technical Support if you have problems. It is not a statement that it will not work, just they will not help you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth I had trouble making RoboHelp 7 actually work on my own installation of 64 Bit Windows 7. It just didn't like it and refused to even work. That's why I ended up installing it in the VM.

But hey ho, it may work for some folks so I'd say to try and see.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the replies. I'll play around with it and see if it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp