16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2010 2:09 PM by Don26812 RSS

PSE9 Organizer Backup

jonel33

I cannot backup my catalog in PSE9.  I'm trying to do a full catalog backup but when the program shows the dialog box "Calculating Total Media Size" the program seems to stop at that point.  I've let the program run for an hour or more with no change.  I've checked the task manager and it shows PSE9 as running but there is no CPU activity.  I am running Win 7  64 bit with 4 GB of memory.  As far as I can tell everything else is OK with the program (at least everything I've used so far) but I would really like to get my catalog backed up.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

John

• 1. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup
          Ashish_Kumar Community Member

Hi,

Try to repair the catalog and optimize it once, Are you the administrator of the computer ?

• 2. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup
            jonel33 Community Member

Thank you for your response.  I had already tried catalog repair and optimization with no success.  And yes, I am the administrator of the computer.  Hopefully something will turn up that will resolve the situation.  Again, thank you for the quick response.

John

• 3. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup
              Don26812 Community Member

John,

I have never had this problem in the several years that I've used the Backup/Restore command with PSE. But that step does take a long time with no PSE progress bar letting you know how it is progressing.

About how many items are in your Catalog? For a large Catalog, calculating the media size can take several minutes, not an hour with no end in sight. My Catalog has almost 28k pictures and this step takes several minutes.

You've already indicated you have repaired the Catalog. When the Repair command came back saying there were no errors, did you click on Repair Anyway or stop the command at that point? If you stopped it, you may want to run it again and let PSE proceed to run the repair routine.

Are you backing up the catalog to an external hard drive or CD/DVDs? This is probably not relevant, but...

Don S.

• 4. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup
                jonel33 Community Member

Don S.,

Thank you for your advice.  When I did a Catalog repair I did get a no error response but I went and did a Repair anyway.  This did not make any difference to my problem.  My plan is/was to back up my catalog to a second internal hard drive but I cannot even get to the point of directing to where I want the back up.  I have about 2200 pictures (about 9 GB) to back up so I wouldn't think that it would take long for the "Calculating Total Media Size" process to take place. When I try to make the back up and the "Calculating Total Media Size" dialog box appears it shows 4GB scanned and a slight graphical bar showing but there is no further activity.  Everything seems to stop at that point.   I am not concerned about losing any copies of my original photos but for obvious reasons I really would like to have the back up.  Again thank you.

John

• 5. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup

Hi,
                      Here is the list what you can do--

1--    Reset preferences from--Start--run--%appdata%--Adobe--Elements Organizer--9.0--move Organizer folder to desktop.
                      also move online services folder to desktop from--Start--run--%appdata%--Adobe--Online Services
                  2--    Try to launch editor and goto--edit menu--preferences--performance (increase the performance to 85%)
                  3--    Try to recreate the problem.
                  4--    Create a new user (admin) account and check it there, make sure you have read and write permissions on the disk.
                  5--    If issue still persists uninstall and reinstall the software.

Waiting for your response--

• 6. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup
                    jonel33 Community Member

Thank you for your suggestions.  I'm not sure that I understand everything that you have said but I'll give you a run down on what I have tried.

I have tried starting the Organizer directly from its folder (not going through the welcome screen) and it made no difference.  I'm not sure how changing the performance preference in the editor would effect the organizer but I did try it but again, no difference.  I also tried the new user account suggestion and again no success.  I hesitate an uninstall and reinstall step because I am afraid of losing all of my keyword tags, etc.  I will continue to be open to advice, hoping to someday have this problem taken care of.

Again thank you.

John

• 7. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup

John,

One thing that I can offer as a suggestion is uninstalling/reinstalling the program should have no impact on the Catalog file nor your photos. I know it is scary to think about losing your tags etc, but it won't happen. To confirm that, you could search the forum. I suspect you will find many related questions that confirm that. That's what I would do.

By the way, I discovered a couple of errors in my earlier reply regarding the time to do certain steps of the Full Backup command. I successfully backed up my Catalog to an external drive last night and made a point at noting certain elapsed times. Right now my Catalog has just over 28K photos and the backup folder is about 190 Gb.

After setting up the backup location etc and clicking on Save Backup (I believe that was the term on the button) there was  with the progress steadily and slowly moving right. After that, the main progress bar appeared. It takes a couple of minutes to get off of zero. That is when I figure things are working right and leave the area. Last night the successful backup took well over 4 hr. I don't know how long, because I went to bed. :-)

Sorry for the misinformation in my earlier post. It's not a good idea to go from one's memory at times.

Ashish, I too don't understand everything you wrote. For one thing, I was not sure if theses were different things to try or a step-by-step instructions. If they were the former, I was wondering what to do next at times if I were the one trying to follow your suggestions.

FWIW

Don S.

• 8. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup
                        jonel33 Community Member

Hi Don,

Thank you so much for your advice.  Today I will try the uninstall and reinstall of PSE9.  I do hope it works.  And no apologies are necessary.  Your advice was well received and much appreciated.  Hopefully I can get past the "Calculating Total Media Size"  dialog box and be able to point to a destination for the back up.  Your encouragement and suggestions are greatly appreciated.  I'll let you know how it goes.

John

• 9. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup

Alright Don,
                              let me put it in this way.....these are the steps which needs to be followed up sequentially.
                              Step 3 says to recreate the problem, otherwise we can try new user account, actually new user account is tried to eliminate the problem of permissions on computer. And as you said is correct, reinstallation will not delete keywords and tags. I have done it several times. After all it seems to be a problem of performance

John, this is for you--Increasing the performance for editor will also effect Organizer, as this option only resides inside editor not Organizer.

1--    Reset preferences from--Start--run--%appdata%--Adobe--Elements Organizer--9.0--move Organizer folder to desktop.
                              also move online services folder to desktop from--Start--run--%appdata%--Adobe--Online Services
                          2--    Try to launch editor and goto--edit menu--preferences--performance (increase the performance to 85%)
                          3--    Try to recreate the problem.
                          4--    Create a new user (admin) account and check it there, make sure you have read and write permissions on the disk.
                          5--    If issue still persists uninstall and reinstall the software.

Otherwise try two more steps,
                          1--Run the software as administrator
                          2--Try creating a new test catalog ,put some images in there and try to backup to analyze the problem

Regards,
                          Ashish

• 10. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup
                            jonel33 Community Member

Hi to both Ashish & Don,

I just finished uninstalling and reinstalling PSE9 and sorry to say my problem is still there.  For review here are the steps I'm going through and the point at which everything comes to a halt when I try to back up my catalog:

1)     Click on "Backup Catalog to CD, DVD, or Hard Drive" in the file menu. (Cntrl B)

2)     Designate "Full Backup" and then click next.

3)     Dialog box "Calculating Total Media Size" appears with 4% and a very short blue graphic bar showing.  This is where everything stops.

I have checked my CPU usage during this process and when "Calculating Total Media Size" process is suppose to be running I am showing 0% CPU activity.  The program seems to lock up at this point.  I can cancel the "Calculating Total Media Size" process and that box will close.  But when I click on the cancel button to close the Backup dialog box nothing happens.  I have to click on the "X" to get the box to close.

Oh well, we tried.  Thanks!  Maybe something will show up.  PSE10?

John

PS:  I may try to create a second catalog and see if the problem exists.  I have tried renaming the current catalog and then tried the backup but no luck.  I need to take a break from this for now and get some other items done.  Thanks again.

• 11. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup

Thanks for the carification, Ashish. Your suggestion to run the program as an administrator (right click on the link to see that choice) is really a good one, and one to try first. I keep forgetting about that choice. It has made certain problems go away for me in the past. It definitely should be one of the first things someone should try when things fail to work right, because it is so easy.

Also, thanks for the tip regarding the Performance setting in the Editor also affecting the Organizer's performance. I was not aware of that.

Take care,

Don

www.donstouder.com

• 12. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup

Try the Administrator as suggested by Ashish. It's quick and just may work. I'm sorry I could not be of more help. I'm beginning to think it is a Ctalog issue, which means it will work proprly on a new test Catalog.

Take care,

Don

www.donstouder.com

• 13. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup
                                  Bruce Lull

I don't know what you are using as your backup media, but I found a problem using DL DVD's although regular DVD and CD's worked for my small databases. I was also using Win 7 64 bit shortly after a complete system rebuild because of a hard disk crash - about as clean an install as possible.

Have you tried backup up to a hard disk and then backing up to removable media using another app (I use Nero)? I is less convenient but may be a decent workaround.

If the backup to a disk directory works then you will have learned something too.

• 14. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup
                                    jonel33 Community Member

Bruce,

Thank you for your suggestion but I couldn't even get to the point of picking where to locate the back up.  But thanks to the advice from Don S. and Ashish I do believe that my problem has been taken care of.  I just recently created a new catalog and imported a few photos into it then tried the full back up and it was successful. Since then I have imported all of my photos into the new catalog and after I've checked it for errors and correct name tag placements I will try a full back up.  I will let everyone know if I'm successful with it or not.  Again, a big thanks to everyone.  Everyone take care.

John

• 15. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup
                                      jonel33 Community Member

Hi Ashish,

I've just completed a successful backup of my catalog.  I created a new catalog and imported all of my media into it and then made the backup.  No problems incurred.  Thanks again for your and Don's advice.

John

• 16. Re: PSE9 Organizer Backup

That's great, John.

Take care,

Don

www.donstouder.com