• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incorrect location of popup windows in RH8 after conversion from RH Office X4

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a CHM file created with RH Office X4. We need to Japanise it. We downloaded a trial version of RB8 and converted the project files to the new format. When we built the new CHM file with RH8, all worked OK, except the pop up windows. We noticed three issues, two of them were really frustrating.

1) The location of the pop was window was incorrect. In the old CHM file, the windows popped where your cursor was when you clicked. In the CHM file created with RH8, on one page, the location of the pop up window was correct, but on all other pages, the windows popped up at the top left corner.

2) The size of the pop up window was always fixed and didn't adjust to the amount of texts it contains. We only have text in our pop up windows.

3) The pop up frame in the old CHM file had a light drop shaddow. The new frame has no drop shaddow.

Can some one please help us? Our CHM file is quite simple and straightforward. What other software can we try? All we want to do is to support the Japanese language. We did build a project in RH8 supporting both the English and Japanese texts to make sure that the Japanese texts were correctly handled and to understand what need to be done to convert our help project. We were happy with the results, but we didn't know how to resolve that pop up issue.

Popup issues with RH8.jpg  

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this thread helps.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2207677

Try the second supplied file.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for you reply. No, the JS file doesn't fix my issues.

I assume that you work with Adobe, if not, please accept my apologies. Is it OK that I sent our project files to you for a quick look? Or I could also raise that issue directly with Adobe support group.

Thank you again for your time.

Regards

To

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter, but the new JS file didn't solve these issues.

1) I copied the second file JS file to Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML and Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHELP, turned on 'Convert RoboHelp edited topics to HTML', then re-generated the CHM file. (I noticed that the js file under the project directory was not re-freshed). And tested it.

2) I also copied the js file to the project directory, and tested inside RH8 using the 'View Selected Item' button on the RH8 tool bar.

None of the 3 issues was resolved in my tests (1) and (2). The first two issues are the most critical (location and size).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2009 Sep 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHMs are not really my area but I was hoping that JS file would help you. However I just realised too that those are text popups rather than topics appearing as popups so not too surprised it hasn't fixed the issue. Sorry to have wasted your time on that.

I just created a popup in RH8 and it is coming up where it should and with the shadow.

I think my next step in your situation would be to import a good topic and a bad topic into a new project. If things change, you know it is the project. If they don't then a look at the HTML might reveal something.

Any other CHM users out there having similar problems?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2009 Sep 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, the problem occurs when there is dropdown text in the topic. Basically, the location of the pop up windows is incorrect when in the same topic there is dropdown text. And this can be easily reproduced with a new project under RH8. Please see attached.

POPUPIssueWithDropDown.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2009 Sep 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good detective work. There is a bug but we are both seeing something slightly different.

You get:

1] No shadow in all text boxes

2] Box not sized to text in all text boxes

3] Appears top right if there is a dropdown.

I get:

1] No shadow if there is a dropdown

2] Box not sized to text if there is a dropdown

3] Position correct regardless of whether or not there is a dropdown.

There is obviously a bug so please report both findings. The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 05, 2009 Oct 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi To,

Please find attached Script file, you need to download the attached file and rename as .jsx and then import this file in RoboHelp 8 script manager pod.

Back up your project before proceeding further.

Open the project and run this script file. And try the chm output again.

Hope this will help you and other users who are facing issue with Popups in CHM output.

I have shared the file @ https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=bd9b822a-6a2a-4495-9255-260c4d6c718f

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2009 Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar problems. I tried your file, and it did not seem to make any difference. However, I have a question: You said to "run the script" -- what do you mean by that? I imported it into the project and recompiled. Was there something else I was supposed to do?

(I didn't have to rename the file, either. The file you shared already has the JSX extension.)

Thanks.

Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, now I figured it out: Right-click the JSX file and select Run after importing it.

This solution worked in my project. Thank you very much.

Adobe should issue a service pack or something. It's ridiculous to make all users have to discover this problem for themselves, and spend hours testing, experimenting, and searching for a solution.

Thanks again.

Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eileen,

Well, You need to follow following steps for running the script file

1. Download the script file.
  2. Open Script explorer pod, and import this file.
  3. Open the project where the popup issue is coming
  4. Opne the script explorer pod, select the popup fixer script file, right click and select Run option
  5. This script will edit all the topics and fix the popup issues in the topic files.
  6. Generate the CHM file.

Be sure to back up the project before running the script file.

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

In addition to the location of the popup window issue, there is also an issue with drop shadow box and the size of the popup window.

1) The location of the popup window issue is fixed with the JSX script that needs to be imported and run inside the help project.

2) The issues with the size of the popup window and drop shadow box are fixed with a new ehlpdhtm.js script that Pradful nicely sent it to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Pratful Jain,

After running the wonderful script that fixes the popup position, I'm discovering that some of the popups are still a bit too small for the text they contain. How can I fix this? Do you have a new JS file (mentioned by SadandSad, above) that fixes it?

Thanks.

Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eileen,

Did you check the forum post @ http://forums.adobe.com/message/2205883.

also can you share the CHM file where this popup issue is coming up.

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I have since discovered that the problem only occurs in the topic preview in RoboHelp. In the CHM file, the popup sizes seem to be ok.

Thanks (and sorry I misspelled your name before).

/Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No Issues, good to hear that the issue is not happening in CHM output.

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, well, good news for this particular issue, but I still don't have a viable (non-temporary) solution to the "Related Topics control via "JavaScript:RelatedTopics.Click" broken in RH8" issue, and unless I get a solution ASAP, I'll have to go back to RH7 -- at least for projects that include many of those links! Do you know anything about it?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1877744#1877744

It's standard RoboHelp functionality -- and it won't upgrade correctly to RH8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

one minor update regarding the popup issue in case of CHM generation. Some users started facing some issues with popups in RoboHelp 8 project after using the popup placement fixer script file. I tried to find the root cause of the issue, and found that I had to modify the script a bit to make it work correctly.

I am uploading the latest script file @ https://acrobat.com/#d=eJBek5hwjBpfC0gmP36n3w

User need to follow the below stepts for executing the script file.

1.  Back up your project before proceeding further.

2.  Download the script file and import in script explorer in RoboHelp 8.

3.  Open the project which is having popup issue related to CHM, and run this script file.

4.  Once the script file execution is complete, Click on Tools>Update DHTML Effects in Topics.. menu item, and click yes on the message box.

5.  Generate CHM output and see if popup are working fine as expected or not.

Hope this will help other users who have issue with Popup placement while generating CHM output.

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Praful,

Is your script still available? I am unable to download it from that site.

Thanks.

Jenny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenny,

I see you haven't gotten a reply.

I don't have that last change Praful made (so that the script works if you upgraded from X4), but I do have the previous version (which works great for us) that I could email to you if you wish. In that case, email me (hover over my picture and you should see my email address) or send me a private message with your email address, and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Regards, Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all,

The script is there on Acrobat.com @ https://acrobat.com/#d=*jVe*gnSEca1AsdOG9gNoQ

Do let me know if you find some issue with the script file.

thanks

Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Praful. It looks like this fix worked, and the bug was related to having drop-down text on the same Help topic as pop-up windows. I opened a bug report. I still had to test all of my Help topics, but this fix has saved me a lot of time in modifying the affected Help topics.

Jenny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2010 Dec 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this script twice. Once it seemed to work, but when I tried to compile the .chm file, the Help compiler crashes with:

HHC6000: Error: An internal file could not be created. Make certain there is enough disk space on the drive where you are compiling your file.

HHC5007: Error: Fatal navigational compilation error. This is likely the result of an invalid contents (.hhc) file.

This never happened before.

The second time the made a complete hash of my project. Topics had text moved between them in a real scramble.

Now I don't know what to do to fix the placement problem. There are no drop-down links in any of my topics.

Message was edited by: Margaret Becker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Praful,

I am facing the same problem of incorrect positioning of image-map pop-up window (showing at top left corner) on the pages which have a drop-down text.

I tried to download from the link you have provided here, but it goes to the homepage of acrobat.

Could you please email me the file?

Thanks

~Vimal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another thread someone reported a similar issue but it was found to be in preview only. In the published help it worked correctly. Have you checked that?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp