ordered list not acting consistently

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH7 in TCS1 on Windows XP.

I have numbered procedures that use steps indents.  For example:

1.      Click Next>>.

The Plugin page opens, displaying the available plugins.

Here's the code:

ol_example_correct.png

The numbered procedure works very nicely until I get to the end of the ordered list.  For some reason, the steps indent that is displayed immediately before the end of the ordered list does not indent.  Instead it looks like this.

10.     Click Save.

The main page refreshes.

For some reason, RH is ending the ordered list before the steps indent. Here's the code:

ol_example_incorrect.png

So why has RH decided to end the <ol> before the last steps indent, and how do I correct this?

Also, if anyone can recommend some good websites or books on css, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The second paragraph is not inside a <li> element and is technically not part of the list. RH rewrites your code so it is valid html (in this case ).

Add the </li> tag after the </p> tag of the second paragraph. That positions the text inside the list.

For learning HTML and CSS, try W3Schools. If you want a book, browse on a site like amazon. There are lots of books for getting started, but I don't know which you should pick.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William,

Thanks for reading my post. I use structured FM and add my books by reference into RH7. What you are suggesting is a manual fix. Any other way around this problem? Seems like a bug in RH to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't know much about the FM integration, of structured FM for that matter. The only thing I can think of is tweaking your import settings and/or your import style sheet. Perhaps an FM guru can help out.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know much about FM either, but I have enough (bitter) experience with RoboHelp lists to see what's wrong.

Willam is right - you're mixing up list items (with the li tag) and plain old paragraphs (with the p tag). I'm amazed that RoboHelp lets you do this - when I try, RH "corrects" my HTML and starts and closes a separate numbered list (the ol tag) for each list item.

What you need to do is make sure that all your list text comes across as list items of one kind or another. That means

• Adding either numbering or a bullet to your indent style,
  • Making the indent style the next lower outline level from your numbered style, and
  • Somehow hiding the number or bullet on the indent style.

If it were me, I'd prefer to set up the indent style as the alpha style under the numbered style, but I don't know if it's possible to hide the alpha numbering character without removing number (which you don't want). I can't even test this, since RoboHelp 8 is undergoing one of its periodic fistfights with our network and won't let me edit.

However, it's easier to hide a bullet than a number - you create a GIF image that's 1x1 transparent pixels (or 2x2; it just needs to be small) and use it as your graphic bullet image.

Let us know how this turns out,

Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I forgot - I like the Visual Quickstart Guide to HTML and CSS. It's a good beginner's book, and it's still useful as a reference afterwards.

HTH,

e

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Elisa,

Thanks for your kind reply and for the book recommendation. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am copying a FM book into RH7. The list displays appropriately in FM, but when it is converted in RH, it decides to take the last step indent in a list and place it outside the

. All step indents that occur within the list display properly.

As a last resort we will consider making the step indent a bulleted style. I will let you know if we do this and how this turns out.

I think this is a bug in FM7. Does anyone know how to report this bug, so someone can look into it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp