Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Import WMV Files - Header Error?

Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, talented and attractive Adobe Forum.  Weird problem with Premier Pro CS5 - when I try to import an AVI file I'm getting a message telling me that it can't import the file because of a header error.  Can anyone tell me what that means, exactly?  These AVI files were converted from MTS files using a freeware program, HD Converter, by Coyote.  I've used this app before without a problem and the guy who's using my old software (CS3) is using these files without a problem.  Any reason why CS5 might be having this issue with them?

Any advice or suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use/know Coyote, so may only GUESS that it is doing "something" that CS5 does not like

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John.  Excellent post you directed me to, though I'm hesitant to install the G-spot

program he mentions onto my Windows 7 machine, since it's 4 years old and doesn't mention Windows 7 support.

In any case, I can't see what codec issue would make the files work fine on a slower machine running CS3 and yet not work on my faster computer running CS5.  Also, I noticed a major blunder in my post - these files are WMV files and not AVIs.  I'm going to see if I can amend my post title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's too late for me to change it, so if there's a forum admin reading who can replace "AVI" with "WMV" in my post topic, feel free.  My bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, WMV is Microsoft's format and is, from what I've read, more of a delivery format rather than an editing format

As far as Gspot, I've never heard about any Win7 problems

And, are you sure about that 4 years old?

Did you go direct to http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ ?

I looked, and it does say Feb 2007 - but I've still not read about any Win7 problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in that case maybe I'll download G-spot.  It does look like a useful tool to have.

As far as the rest goes, If you were trying to convert MTS AVCHD files from a camcorder into a format that CS3 can import and edit, what would you suggest as the best format to convert to?  I figure now that Adobe Media Encoder works as a separate ap, I should be able to batch convert to whatever I want, right?  At least, that's the theory, though I haven't tried it yet.  I want to maintain the highest video quality for the conversion with the intention of compressing as needed for final output.  Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is in the CS5 forum, you may simply import AVCHD into PPro5 and export as widescreen DV NTSC... which is what I do to convert both AVCHD and MP4 to DV AVI so my wife may "play" with the files in PPro2 on her core-2 computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice.  Is there a way to set it up to do a batch conversion?  There are a lot of clips.  Can you accomplish the same thing by just using Adobe Media Encoder?  My impression was that it's basically some kind of hybrid of the output modules of Premier and AE, but as a standalone converter.  Am I close?

Sorry to bombard you with questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use AME standalone, so you'll need to read the user guide and find out about batch processes

CS5 User Guides - online and PDF
http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for-creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John.  I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2010 Nov 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem. I try to import a WMV into PP5 and I get this header error message. Hard to believe but true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally believe you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks.

after reading about movie headers, i have come to believe that adobe could support wmv formats. but simply chooses not to do it.

apparently a lot of other software providers have made the same decision.

here is the really funny thing....i tried to make a dvd from the wmv files using microsoft's own dvd maker program

that they ship w windows 7. guess what - that does not work either!!!

apparently no-one, including microsoft, likes the proprietary microsoft format and don't feel like taking the time

to figure it all out. i cannot blame them.

what would be great - if adobe would just let you know that they do not support it, instead of the cryptic error message

about not being able to read the header. but then, adode is like that. they are so obtuse.  they remain commited to

providing an incoherent user experience.

in the meantime, you just have to convert these formats.

I found a great shareware program called Hamster. It is totally free and has a lot of great reviews. It is easy to use. you

can get it on cnet.com.

I converted the WMV to AVI, which loaded into Premiere Pro and I was able to finish my video.

rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just could not believe it. So I kept poking around.

It turns out Premiere Pro CAN import WAV files. And it is easy.

You simply go to Import....

This puts up a dialog box.

At the bottom of the box is an entry box for a file name and a box thats says "Windows Media."

If you click on Windows Media (there is a pulldown arrow there) you get a list of all the media types

that Premiere can import.

You choose WMA, and it will then know to pull in the WAV file. It works great!!!

So I take back all the bad thoughts and things I may have said about Adobe. Except all

those things about their interface. Why does it say "Window Media" when it should give

the user some hint that this is a list of all the media types.

And why does it decode some file type w/o being told the exact type (e.g. AVI) while with other

files types you have to tell it explicitly what type is involved.

This is an inconsistent and obtuse user experience.

rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is crazy.

I cannot import .wmv files i need into Pr CC...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines