• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrapping issues with higher rez/wide screen monitors?

Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use RoboHelp 8.  When I view my RoboHelp-created pages on IE8 on an older computer, the text wraps fine, regardless of how you resize the Web browser window.  However, recently I tried viewing the same pages on IE8 on a newer computer that has a monitor with higher resolution and a wider screen and I noticed that the end of nearly every line of text gets slightly obscured no matter how you resize the browser window.  I have two questions:

1) Is this problem simply the result of the differences in the monitors?  Or is it the result of some other issue I'm not aware of?

2) How do I prevent this from happening?  What do I need to do to my pages in RoboHelp?  Currently, I don't set a width for the text on my pages -- even when I use tables -- so it generally goes 100% and just wraps. 

Here is an example of the problem:

wrap problem.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps try configuring the table so there is a right margin you can adjust? That would work for tables.

For the text, I'm wondering if perhaps you could introduce a DIV tag and specify the width so it would cause the wrapping to work properly.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2010 Sep 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It might be easier to directly add a style to the body element. Then you don't need to modify the topics, only a style sheet. Add

body { padding-right: 10px; }

to your css. Amend the value to increase or decrease the white space.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam -- So I would just add that bit of code to the HTML for my stylesheet and it should pad the whole page regardless of whether the text is in tables or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The css adds the padding to the page itself. So everyting on your page keeps a distance from the right side of the screen. It does not affect the text inside table/dropdowns etc. However the tables and dropdowns themself are padded.

Try adding the code to a css in your output and see what happens. Thats the easiest way of seeing what happens. If it doesn't work, simply delete the code and everyting is back to the way it was.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested this solution outside of RH and it seems like it might work.  My question, which seems silly, is how do I directly edit the style sheet within RoboHelp?  The internal help is telling me the style sheets should be listed in the Project Manager pod, but I don't see them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard my last question about unhiding css files.  I figured it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Probably the easiest thing to do is just right-click the Project Manager and choose Explore from the context menu. This should open Windows Explorer at the project location. Then you may locate the CSS file and edit using Windows Notepad if you like.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2011 Jan 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same issue using RH8 and IE8. Text wrapping isn't working proprely on Internet Explorer 8 (everything works fine on Firefox or Chrome): some of the text appears in the foreground of the scroll bar or the end of the line is hidden.

I try to add  a " padding-right: 10px;" property in my css file but I still have the same issue.

This is quite strange because it occurs only when I display my robohelp project with its skins.

Capture1.png

If I directly display the topic, text wrapping works just fine.

Capture2.png

Any idea about how to fix that issue?

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It hasn't worked for me, either. I've added the padding to my stylesheets as well with the same result. No issues like this in Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2011 Jan 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the cause of the problem in my case. The default font size in my stylesheet was 11pt ( I use the Verdana font). I changed it for a 12pt font size and my wrapping issues disappeared in Internet Explorer 8.

Maybe you can try this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 10, 2011 Jan 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "default" font size? Do you mean the font size associated with the "p" class? I use Verdana 8pt font size for most of my "body" text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2011 Jan 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default font size, I mean the size defined within the "body" tag in the css stylesheet.

body {  

font-family: Verdana;

font-size: 11pt;

}

I did not try, but I guess you probably have to change the font size used in the "p" class too (if it is different from the one defined form the class "body").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried adjusting the body padding to no avail.  Actually, I tried increasing the p body font size and it looks like that did the trick.  I'm not really sure why, but the smaller text was obscured and didn't wrap properly. Larger text seems to wrap properly and doesn't get obscured or overlay on the scroll bar.  It's not an ideal solution, but works for the time being.

Thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply, Rick.  Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  The issue I'm having isn't just with text in tables -- it's all text.  Just a regular block of text will get slightly obscured when viewing it with my wide-screen monitor.  I don't have this issue at all when using older computer with regular screens.  BTW, I'm assuming that the issue is with the wide-screen, but it may be something else; it's just that it only appears when I'm looking at it with a wide-screen monitor.  I should try it in Firefox, because so far I've only tried it in IE8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue doesn't seem to appear in Firefox, only with IE8 on a wide-screen monitor so maybe this is just an IE issue.  Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp