• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to dynamically replace text in the WebHelp output?

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp HTML Version 8

I am currently implementing a WebHelp solution for a web application. I would like to use a variable to tailor information to specific customers. Is it possible to do so without having to generate multiple outputs? In other words, is there some way to replace text when WebHelp is displayed to an end-user?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As allways, you can do it with JavaScript, but you (probably) don't want to go that way. Using scripting take a lot of setting up, a lot of maintaining and may be very difficult for other authors.You need to have some way to determine what text you want to show and you need a script to change all the occurances of a viewed page. If you also want to use those variables in the TOC, you'll need to add you're own script to the WebHelp scripts.

From a usability perspective: use variables

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

Thank you for your reply. However, I'm still a little confused by your last sentence. Are you saying that there is a way to configure variables so that they persist in the WebHelp output? If so, can you provide a little more information as to how to accomplish that?

P.S. My limited experience with variables seems to indicate that the variable gets replaced with text when the project gets compiled. It would be ideal if the variable can persist to the WebHelp output and I could then set the variable on a per session basis.

Thanks,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Variables get replace with text when you create your output. In RH8 you have variable sets, so you can create different outputs with different text in your variables.

Dynamically changing content is done trough JavaScript. This involves a lot of scripting in your RH project and asking the question means that you don't want that.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I was looking for an alternative to using a custom script to display dynamic text.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp