• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Generate PDF

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that I want to export to pdf format, however the "create pdf" icon is grayed out. Reading the posts on forum it sounds like Robohelp produces a .doc file first and then converts that to a pdf. I didnt have word on my system so i went and installed the trial, I restarted the machine and am still having the same issue. I dont understand why Adobe would rely on Microsoft in their process to create an "Adobe" pdf file and still havent resolved the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Im running from a Robohelp trial?

Thanks Again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Word are you running? You need to be using Word 2003 - 2010 isn't supported yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Indeed the first step toward a PDF is generating to Word. And here's the rub. If you just downloaded and installed the trial, you likely installed the trial for the latest version of Word. 2010. There is no compatible version of RoboHelp to date that supports this version of Word. So that's likely the issue.

As for RoboHelp and Adobe and all that, you have to understand RoboHelp's pedigree. Adobe only acquired it in recent years. So they haven't yet worked out all the kinks for making it output directly to PDF. Unfortunately we still first must side trip into Word before seeing a PDF.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, the only copy of Word on the pc that I have is 2000... And since I cannot download a trial of word 2007, does this mean I cant test the pdf creation capablities of Robohelp without first buying the 3rd party software? My goal here is to test drive the application to see if this is the best solution possible for my company, without knowing if its going to work I cant authorize the purchase of the software. So Im kind of stuck between a Rock and a Hard place.

Thanks Again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your workflow? Creating PDFs from RH projects has never produced as good looking docs as those from FrameMaker (IMHO). That's why our operation went the TCS route to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robohelp appears to accept Word 2000 as a source for the files it needs to create a pdf, however now Im fighting with getting Microsoft Word to even run on the machine. Once I make it through the extensive documentation of issues related to this, Ill post back on here to let you know if it works properly.

As far as the workflow goes, thats what Im trying to establish. Im new to this realm of things and am not sure what the best avenue of approach is. Basically I have a several 200+ page manuals as INDD files that we want to convert to an online manual. The original output was to PDF format and we need to keep that functionality and still have a single source after I have converted everything to html for the online documentation that we are trying to create. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question with this sort of stuff is, where do I want to maintain the authoring of the content (that's the single sourcing part) & what sorts of help do I need to produce? You've got these manuals in In Design (correct?) - are you looking to continue authoring in In Design? Do you want (or need) to change your authoring tool? What sort of outputs are you looking for? You mention PDF and online documentation, but what format for the online docs? WebHelp, browser-based AIR help, a wiki format, etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 2 forms of output need to be pdf and WebHelp. All of my files are currently inDesign format (it would be great to keep it this way but I dont know if its possible), so Im ok with switching to a different source. My thought was a one time transition to HTML and then from there, use that as my "single" source for further editing, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know inDesign, but isn't one of its products HTML pages? Why not continue to author in ID, produce good looking PDF output from there and HTML pages for import into RH projects for WebHelp production?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp