• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Winhelp Index

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2006 Jun 07, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recompiled a Winhelp file (after a Microsoft windows update) and now when I click the index tab, my help file crashes. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2006 Jun 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vhendra,

Can you provide a little more detail on the error messages that are being displayed when the help crashes?
What version of RH and windows are you using?

Also, you may want to check out the following link:

http://www.helpware.net/FAR/far_faq.htm#Index_tab_crash

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2006 Jun 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using Robohelp X5 and Windows XP Professional. The message is: Microsoft Help has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. I have sent an error report to Microsoft, but no response as yet. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 09, 2006 Jun 09, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you check the link? Does that shine any light on your problem
Re:This problem is generally caused by the "stoplist" feature (A small text file containing words that should be ignored by the full text search engine). Lists greater than 512 bytes (characters) will hit a bug in the compiler that then fails to create the keyword index. They work fine if you stay under that limit. The problem no longer seems to show under Win XP.

Are you using the stoplist feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm quite sure I'm not using a stoplist as I have no idea what it is or where to find it. How can I find more info on stoplists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vhendra,,

1. Click the File menu and select Project Settings.
2. On the General tab, click Advanced. The Advanced Settings for Localization dialog opens.
3. Click the Stop List tab.
What do you see?

Can you also creat a brand new project and create on index entry, compile and see if you get the same error?
thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see a list of prepositions and articles -- 60 or 70 of them, it looks like. I assume these are standard. I created a new project with an index and it seems to be fine. Where do I go from here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2006 Jun 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vhendra,

process of elimiination. Take a backup copy of your project, remove the stop list .stp file, recompile and see if you get the same problem. If not it may well be another issue - hard to tell without looking at the project. If you like, zip up your project and send it to me and I'll take a look over the next couple of days.

Cheers
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2006 Jun 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t have a .stp file in my project. The documentation I do is for proprietary software. I’d like for you to look at my project, but need to know what your procedure is for handling files of this type. I’d welcome you to log onto my computer to view, if that’s an option. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 16, 2006 Jun 16, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi vhendr,

There is no procedure, this is just an informal offer to help out and take a look at your project. Just zip up your project and send it to me at craig.clarke @ helpsolutions.co.uk.

Lets just make one thing clear - I am not an Adobe employee or offering an alternative to Adobe support. Adobe Community Experts are volunteers helping with peer to peer support via the forum.

Going back through this thread, I'm now starting to wonder if this is an issue with the way that the help has been linked to the applciation. Do you get the same error when the help is opened from a folder on your c:\ drive or is only happening when you open the help via the applciation?

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp