• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import master pages

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting today, I noticed that I cannot import master pages into Robohelp projects. I know that I could do this the week before last, but I cannot do it now. When I try, RoboHelp hangs up, and after a short time the window title includes "(Not Responding)."

Last week, I got a newer computer running Windows 7. Other writers in my group who are using RoboHelp 8 and Windows 7 can import master pages.

I searched the forums, but I could not find anything on this except for one person who could not import documents after installing Flash Player 10. I do see Flash Player 10 in my list of installed programs, but my coworker who can import master pages has the same versions in his list.

I tried deleting the .cpd, trying a simplified master page as a test, and creating a new project in which I tried the same task (and again failed).

Has anyone else run into this? Are there any known solutions or workarounds?

Tammy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Windows 7 does lots of funky things with file and folder permissions. You might want to download and use the Ultimate Windows Tweaker. This adds all sorts of features that may help.

Click here to visit the Ultimate Windows Tweaker page

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm very skeptical about any Flash Player update causing an issue with RoboHelp.

Personally, I think that one was a Red Herring or VooDoo. But you never know.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded the tool you mentioned, but I have no idea what to check in it for this problem. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I believe one of the check boxes in the tool controls whether you see a new option in your Windows Explorer context menus. So when you right-click a file you should see an option labeled "Take ownership".

My thought is that if Windows 7 isn't allowing you to be the owner of the RoboHelp content, perhaps that's why things are failing. But it's just a theory at this point.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the option you talked about, and I chose "Take Ownership" for the folder. Then I tried again, but I still can't import master pages. I get "Not

Responding" as before.

Tammy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the projects located on your C:\ drive (they should be)? Do you have local admin rights to the c:\ drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking - when Vista came along, the old "I've got full rights to by local machine" went out the window - you had to give yourself rights to your own c:\ drive explicitly (unlike good old XP where being an admin was implicit)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2010 Nov 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not having any luck with this. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried doing it with one of the sample projects that ship with RH? If you get the same result, you know then that it's part of RH & Win7; if you don't, then you know it's your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Results have been mixed. Last week I could not seem to import any master page at all. In the last hour or so I have been able to narrow the problem down to specific master pages. I'm going to try creating variants of the master pages leaving out some of the code to see what section is causing RoboHelp problems. This should get me to the source of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got my answer. There was a problem in the code that was quite hard to spot. Once I fixed it, RoboHelp imported the master pages without any

problem.

Thanks!

Tammy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tammy

Glad you managed to sort it. Hopefully this thread will help others that may experience the same.

So could you please be a bit more specific? Was it an issue with the code in the Master Page you were trying to import? What specifically did you find that seemed to be the issue?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, of course. Sorry about that!

I had coded many changes in the master page manually outside of RoboHelp because of some problems I had with automatic changes to my code in the past. While doing this, I accidentally omitted the closing "?" in the tag that RoboHelp uses to mark the opening of the header. Once I fixed this problem, RoboHelp was happy to import the master page.

This does highlight the dangers of manual coding, but you have to analyze the risk vs. reward. After importing the master page, I still had to go back and manually fix <ul> tags that RoboHelp had changed to <ol> tags, but once I did this once, the tags stayed as they should because the master page had already been imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp