• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I set Adobe Flash Player as the default program to open SWF files?

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2010 Nov 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic Overview

I have this working fine at my home laptop, however I need this working for projects at school.

Whenever I want to open an SWF file at home, I simply double click it and open it in Adobe Flash Player (Adobe Flash Player 10.0 r22) and I have no problems!

However, when I am at school I have to run SWF files within Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash Player IS installed, but the SWF files are not opened in that directly, they are opened within Internet Explorer.

At Home

If I right click an SWF file at home and select "Open With" and then "Choose Default Program...", Adobe Flash Player is already there under the name 'Adobe Flash Player 10.0 r22', so I can simply select it as the default. (On my home laptop)

At School

At school if go to "Open With" and then "Choose Default Program...", Adobe Flash Player IS NOT there, only Internet Explorer and some other programs in the other programs box. (On my school laptop)

Question

How can I assign Adobe Flash Player as the default program for opening SWF files (on my school laptop)? If I select "Browse..." and go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash there is no file with a description of 'Adobe Flash Player 10.0 r22', is the file for the actual program located somewhere else or have I just no looked properly in the folder?

I really need these files opening in Adobe Flash Player directly and not in Internet Explorer (I know you can set the view to 100% and have it sized correctly)

Thanks you to everyone who helps!
-Charlie! (Yes I know I don't need to write this in a forum)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 26, 2010 Nov 26, 2010

The standard Flash Player is a browser add-on, and not a standalone player.  So what actually opens when you open an SWF file at home?  Flash Player Projector?

If so, you also need to download it at your school, from http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html, then do the file association.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2010 Nov 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The standard Flash Player is a browser add-on, and not a standalone player.  So what actually opens when you open an SWF file at home?  Flash Player Projector?

If so, you also need to download it at your school, from http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html, then do the file association.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2010 Nov 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is opened like this...

fp10.png

Is that Flash Player Projector? If so, how do I get the files to open in that at school?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2010 Nov 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that is the Projector.  Download it from the link I posted earlier, then do the same as you described in your original post (right-click and "Open with...").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines