Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH output with Google Analytics

Nov 29, 2010 Nov 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get Google Analytics to track individual page views in an HTML help set.  Every page viewed appears as the base or index file, and Google only seems able to count views of that page.  It cannot seem to see the individual pages within the help set as separate pages, even when I add the Analytics script to those pages.

Has anyone used Google to track page views?  Is there any control in RH7 that allows individual htm pages to viewed with separate URLs?

I notice too that anytime page source is viewed, it is always the index page, which has no body content.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can't help w/the Google analytics, but as far as tracking individual pages.  Can you just put a # sign following your original URL and see if you get data on the individual page this way?  We're doing this to see hits using another analytics tool and it works.

such as having your URL include --> WebHelp/Sample_Help#General_Info.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea, but I'm not sure how to make this work with Webhelp files.  When RH generates Webhelp, it creates a master file with no content.  When you open the help system, the URL is for the master file.  When you open topics from the TOC, the topic page displays but the URL remains that of the master file.  Each topic is in a separate HTML file, but the name of that file appears nowhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I remember reading about people's attempts to use Google Analytics on their WebHelp pages, you needed to add some Google code to each page in your project to trigger the counting action to occur.

RoboServer is the easiest way to track stuff like this according to experts (I don't use it myself & my help is all locally hosted)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I added the script to the index/master page, and it gets tracked, but it seems to record only one view no matter how many pages are viewed after landing on the index.  I tried putting the script on individual pages, but they still don't seem to get tracked.  I'll try some more.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Jeff, I think this has been covered before and I seem to recall that someone posted a fair amount of detail. Try the in forum searches.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, but I couldn't find a solution to my particular problem. Seems one other person had the same problem.  The answers were helpful but not complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the help publicly accessible? If not I believe it can be accessed if on an intranet but there are some special procedures or conditions, documented on Google's site I believe.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Googla analytics and it works well, except the relativelu minor trouble that it records hits to the site from search engines  as landing ion the welcome page.

The help is on a public site.

When we build the page we tick the 'add a master page to each topic', and the master page contains the following HTML code, which we got from Google. (XXXXXXX is our Google account code):

<?rh-region_start type="footer" style="width: 100%; position: relative;" ?>

<script type="text/javascript">var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));</script>
    <script type="text/javascript">try {
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-XXXXXXX-1");
pageTracker._trackPageview();
} catch(err) {}</script>
<?rh-region_end type="footer" ?>

Hope this helps,

Peter

gaJsHost [gaJsHost]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both Peters for continuing to help me.

Peter Braham, your solution sounds like it would work for me.  I cannot, however, find the "add master page to each topic" setting.  I'm generating WebHelp on RH7.  Can you direct me to the location of that setting?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Single Source Layouts pod, open a webhelp layout: the first page of properties has a group box at the bottom called Additional Options, in which is a check box labelled Apply to all Topics, along with a radio box called Master Page. Check Master Page and add your htt file that contains your javascript code.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Master pages and the apply to all option are RH8 only.

In RH7, they're called Templates. To apply a single template to all your topics, select all topics in the topic list. Right click and select Options. Find "Template" and select the template you want.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp