Exit

Adobe Reader X - Firefox integration Problem

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

My first post here.

I am having problem's with the Adobe Reader X integration with Firefox (v3.6.12). I have been using Adobe Reader always and it's been fine.

But I installed the new Adobe Reader X, and it integrates with firefox well, PDF document's open well within the browser.. BUT, I cannot save the PDF document from within the pdf.. I cannot click anywhere on the toolbar.. I cannot click on the pop up toolbar as well (the black one).. When i press F8, I can restore the toolbar or make it disappear.. but that's all I can do..

If I try to save the document from firefox file menu, it works.. but not from within the pdf...

This problem is also seen in IE, as well.

I have tried repairing the install and also uninstall / reinstall adobe reader X. But nothing worked..

For more info., I have been discussing this issue here > http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/534412-adobe-reader-x-available-3.html

I am looking forward to resolving this soon, because I use / read / work with hundreds and thousands of PDF, and they are extremely essential for my research work.. as some might know, all research articles are in PDF format these days..

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

Cheers, fondue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 120 Replies 120
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I tried reinstalling without the AV, just to be sure... but the problem persists.

I am attaching a screen cap here.. Now I also notice that the toolbar icons are greyed out sometimes...

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Firefox your default browser?

For me Firefox is the default browser

and it works perfectly fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, firefox is the default browser.

Btw, is there anything more specific than setting a default program (like .pdf files to open in adobe reader?) At the moment, the .pdf files are set to be open in adobe reader.. but I was wondering if there was a more specific setting for opening pdf files within the browser...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stand alone Adobe Reader is working perfectly fine.. no problems whatsoever...

The problem is only in the browser's (both firefox and IE).

I am wondering what else can it be. I really hope someone or some expert's can shed more light and suggest a fix or solution, asap.

Thanks a lot and cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted about this at the other forum.. anyway, here it is..

Update:

Alright - I went back to Adobe Reader 9.4.1 and everything is fine.

Browser integration is fine, I can click on the toolbars, I can save, print and everything...

Also, the right click menu pop' up right where the right click was done...

So.... it has got to be something with the integration of reader X with  the browser's, isn't it? At least in my case.. though there it seems to  be working well for others...

Hmmm..

Boh.. I don't know.. For now I will stick with 9.4.1 and wait to see if  there are any fixes.. Or else update to X again, and wait for a  fix...?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update

I went through one last uninstall / install process just to see if there was any way I could fix it..

I manually uninstalled 9.4.1 and manually installed 10.. but no change in the issue.. I still cannot click inside the pdf document properly, cannot access the toolbar items, cannot save (even with ctrl+s)... though Ctrl+Shift+S does work....

So, for the moment, I am going back to 9.4.1 and I am going to stick with that..

I have also submitted a bug report to Adobe.. Let's see what they say.

PS., btw, just wondering - how come no expert / adobe tech support personnel has dropped in here, yet???

Thanks a lot and cheers..

I am waiting and looking forward to the fix / solution...

Complete details here > http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/534412-adobe-reader-x-available-4.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.  This worked for me.

Close firefox and open Reader X.  From the edit menu open up the  Preferences.

Click on the "Internet" settings and uncheck the box "Display in Read Mode by default".

As a precaution, go to the "Document" settings and make sure that the box

"Allow documents to hide the menu bar, toolbars, and window controls"

is also unchecked.  Click OK and close Reader X.  Just to make sure,

open Reader X and close it again.  Now the print and save buttons etc...

will be visible in Reader X inside the browser next time you run Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your message @ dby123

The problem was not that I could not see the toolbar or the toolbar icons... I could see them fine and well.. but I could not click on them.. for example, I could not click on the save icon to save the PDF document.. and it's the same for all icons in the toolbar...

I can make a right click on the toolbar and chose more icons or lesser icons to show.. but nothing was functional.. nothing could be clicked.. That's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry this did not work.  One other problem I found had to do with

Java inside Firefox.  When a pdf opened up in Firefox and I clicked on

the "save as" icon in the Reader X/Firefox window or tab nothing would

happen unless the following box was checked off.

Under Tools in Firefox select the Options.  In the Options under

Content, the "Enable JavaScript" needs to be checked and to the

right of that setting click on the Advanced Tab and the box

"Disable or replace context menus" also needs to be checked.

I found that if the  "Disable or replace context menus" boxed

was not checked off, the "save as icon" in the Reader/browser

window was dead.  And of course, you need Sun java installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again @ dby123

But it did not work.. I tried what you said, but the issue remains the same.

I can see the toolbar / floating toolbar.. I can see the icons.. but I cannot click on them.. They don't respond.. So, basically this latest tip didn't work for me either..

I'm really wondering what could be wrong, because with 9.4.1 everything is just perfect and great..!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2010 Nov 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

No new information on this issue, still?

And I'm surprised no expert Adobe tech support personnel have stopped by

I hope this issue can be fixed or it would be nice to know if it's being worked upon..

Thanks and cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2010 Dec 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

1. Are you seeing this problem with all kinds of PDF's or some specific kinds like secure PDF's (with doc open password or printing restrcitions), reader extended PDF's or PDF forms.

2. Are you opening a locally saved PDF by doing a drag drop in the browser or right click and open with IE/FF or directly opening a PDF hosted on the internet?

3. Can you also check the version of the Reader X browser plugin? you could find it at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll. Right click -> Properties -> Details

If version is 9.0.x then you could try a clean install of Reader X.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My replies are in Bold.

Thank you for your response and message.

1. Are you seeing this problem with all kinds of PDF's or some specific  kinds like secure PDF's (with doc open password or printing  restrcitions), reader extended PDF's or PDF forms.

This problem is with all kind's of PDF's.

2. Are you opening a locally saved PDF by doing a drag drop in the  browser or right click and open with IE/FF or directly opening a PDF  hosted on the internet?

It doesn't matter. However I do it, I see this problem in Firefox, IE & Google Chrome.

3.  Can you also check the version of the Reader X browser plugin? you  could find it at C:\Program Files\Common  Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll. Right click -> Properties  -> Details

If version is 9.0.x then you could try a clean install of Reader X.

I have checked it. It's the latest plug-in (though at the moment, I have gone back to Adobe Reader 9.4.1, as I've mentioned before, because I need the reader to be working fine for my work and daily life. I am just waiting for a fix before I try Adobe Reader X again.

As I've mentioned before, I am seeing this issue ONLY on my Windows 7 Ultimate (Laptop). In the desktop's at work, with Windows XP / Vista, I don't see it. Adobe Reader is working fine, browser integration is fine, the floating tool bar works fine, the right click menu pop' up where the right click is done...I can also save PDF' from the main toolbar at the top and so on...

I really have run out of ideas.... and I am very surprised that no expert support personnel (if at all there is one) have dropped by or said anything or mentioned anything about this.

Anyway.... Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To confirm again:

I just tried a clean install (again) of Adobe Reader X (after uninstalling Reader 9.4.1) and I still see the same problem (with all updated plugins etc etc).

Now I have gone back to 9.4.1..... and wait for the fix.

I like Adobe Reader and Products, but this is turning out to be a bit annoying - not because 9.4.1 isn't doing what I want to do, but because I don't know what / where the problem is and no one from Adobe seem' to have any idea!!

Anyway, let' see... Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To dby123

Your solution seems to have resolved my problem - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have the same problem as I am having?

I'm asking just to know if this was the same issue fixed with dby's suggestion or was it something else resolved with dby's suggestion.

Also, because I saw somewhere, that this issue (the same as mine) was fixed with a few simple step' and setting' changes.. though it didn't work for me..

Anyway.. Good for you, though. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar but not exactly the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fonduekid

There is some discussion here about the toolbars, and the thought is that Reader X is processing the mouse location in the wrong place; that means that when you click on the toolbars, Reader X thinks you're clicking somewhere else.

Then he looked closely at your picture and your icons don't match those we have!  DId you have a beta or prerelease version of Reader or Acrobat X?  That might be being loaded in the browser, and there could have been issues that were fixed a while ago.

Launch Reader X outside the browser and go to Preferences -> Internet.  There is a path showing underneath "Display PDF in Browser" (I'd show pictures but I'm sending this from my mac and it's different).  Is it the path to what you think it is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much once again for your message.

Then he looked closely at your picture and your icons don't match  those we have!  DId you have a beta or prerelease version of Reader or  Acrobat X?  That might be being loaded in the browser, and there could  have been issues that were fixed a while ago.

Nope. It was not a beta release (and I don't use Acrobat, it's only the Reader). [I never use / install beta' releases of any software, as personal habit and rule]

Launch  Reader X outside the browser and go to Preferences -> Internet.   There is a path showing underneath "Display PDF in Browser" (I'd show  pictures but I'm sending this from my mac and it's different).  Is it  the path to what you think it is?

Well.. the path is fine and it is as it should be. These were among the first few things I checked, when I started seeing this problem.

Btw, I just abother user "reb1", saying he has some issues with Reader X isn't working for him / her too, in any browser. I just thought I'll make a note of this here. Link:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/534412-adobe-reader-x-available-5.html

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Toolbar.JPG

Interesting comment that fonduekid's toolbar does not match what you expected to see. A snip of mine attached, which is very much like fonduekid's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That IS true... I was thinking about this but then forgot to write about this in my previous reply.

So yes, @ browserpdfman, what exactly do you mean by my toolbar icon's not matching with your's? Because as far as I have seen around, I have the same tool bar and icon's as what other' have (and I am talking about the full, final Reader X release).

Also, as it very clear, for TravellingAnn all icons are functioning, whereas for me, they are all greyed out....

Thanks and cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toolbar Inactive Capture.JPG

For ease of comparison, here's mine in an inactive state - before opening a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

I have the same even when a PDF document is opened!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fonduekid,

We thought it was different because the icons didn't have the blue highlights and the plus and minus didn't have circles around it in your picture our icons have morphed over the development process and we thought you had an earlier release.

Given your response, I looked more carefully at your image and now I think those differences are just an artifact of the jpeg compression.  Can you confirm that the first few icons do have blue highlights, and there are circles around plus and minus?

My theory now is that there is something funny about the mouse-positioning code; this would explain the right-click menus appearing in odd places, and it would also explain why clicking on the toolbar does nothing: Reader X thinks you're clicking somewhere else.

Can you use F8 to show the toolbars, then Shift-F8 to move the keyboard focus to the toolbar, and the arrow keys to select tools?  <enter> should then select that.  This would bolster the theory that it's just the mouse-positioning that is strange, and we can concentrate on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines