Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CS5 crash in new Mac Pro 2010

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two problems:

1. Sometimes when I make double cick in premiere icon, the program don't start. I see the previous premiere window with the 4 last projects, but I can not select anything, because the pointer mouse become a beach ball. I have to turn off the program with Alt+Cmd+esc.

2. The big problem. Premiere CS5 5.0.0 crash editing while I'm making marks In and Out in Source window or playing the timeline. The 3 monitors became black or freeze, mouse disapears, sounds freeze and I have to restart with power button.

I have last Mac Pro 2010, 2,8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X 10.6.4, 8GB RAM, ATi Radeon 5870, 3 x Hard disk 2 TB, 3 monitors connected trought DVI double chanel, and two minidisplayport-DVI double chanel.

Sorry for my english.

Any help or doubt about my explanation?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 108 Replies 108

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Premiere Pro the only application in which such problems occur? Did this problem just start happening? Did Premiere Pro CS5 work without these problems before; and, if so, what has changed?

I recommend that you install the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update. That update fixes a lot of problems.

Because you're on Mac OSX v10.6.4, be sure to apply the graphics update from Apple.

Also, please make sure that your graphics card drivers and other drivers are up to date.

Try disconnecting two of your monitors and just running with one monitor. Does the problem still occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd!

I install Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update, and the graphics update from apple but the problem persists. I disconnected two monitors, too.

It's very extrange because I had a configuration system running ok, premiere running ok, everything good, but the system hard disk crashes.

The problem is when I reinstall a backup copy of that system in a new hard disk, then Premiere don't start, and when start then crashes editing. All of the programs are running well, and other adobe CS5 applications, too.

The old hard disk is a Hitachi 2TB (originally from apple), and the new hard disk is a Western Digital caviar black 1TB.

I make the backup system from a *.dmg file. I tried with time machine, with disk utilities and with Carbon Copy Cloner. The result is always the same. Premiere won't start.

I think I have small ghosts inside my computer 😃

Maybe is question of a bad clone but this is not a complicated task.

Maybe is question of permits. But I resolve the permits question with disk utilities.

Do you think is question of the clone image?

Now I'm reinstalling a new copy of Leopard SO after formatting the new hard drive western digital 1TB. I will install only the CS5 adobe master collection, to tried in a clean system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I will install only the CS5 adobe master collection, to tried in a clean system.

That seems like a good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2010 Sep 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tood!

With the reinstaling system it's seems that the computer works better.

But sometimes premiere crash and appears this message while I'm playing the timeline.

Do you know that it means?  Thanks!

Captura de pantalla 2010-09-16 a las 11.38.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 17, 2010 Sep 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bits and pieces

1. delete your preferences http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/11/having_weird_behavior_with_an.html
  2. clean your caches
  3. Are you using Leopard or Snow Leopard?
  4. Can you describe your system
  5. Run the Apple and Adobe updates before you start editing anything
  6. if you downloaded the suite from Adobe.com, you might want to consider downloading again with a download manager.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis,

I tried all you recomendations, but premiere still crashes while I'm playing clips in timeline. All is updated, leopard and premiere.

I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.5, in a Mac (mid 2010). 2,8GHz Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 5870.

Error message:

Captura+de+pantalla+2010-09-16+a+las+11.38.45.png

Any idea?

Thanks

Pere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pere,

It sounds like you've tried to reinstall PRemiere Pro which would be one of the things I would recommend at this point.  Please confirm.  You may want to try and identify if it's related to a particular project or clip.  Open a new project and take 1-2 pieces of media to the timeline.  Play it, edit, beat it, etc.  Does it crash?  If the answer is no, I wonder if it is a particular corrupt clip or piece of media that is bringing your system down.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pere,

I agree with Dennis that the best course of action right now is to determine if this problem is just with a specific clip or kind of media.

Are you using AVCHD clips in the sequence where this problem occurs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm using AVCHD clips. MTS files from canon HF S21.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this problem only occur with a specific clip or with all clips of this kind?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem occurs with all clips of this kind. With big projects and with projects that have only one clip imported (and this clip can be different).

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2010 Nov 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this is going to sound crazy. I've recently had the same problem. I'm using the new iMac 27" with the ATI Radeon HD 5750, one month old. I would 100% crash hard lock up or even computer instantly shutting off the moment I tried to resize my sequence preview window while I was playing the timeline. I trashed my prefs, uninstalled PP CS5, nothing fixed it. This was happening with OSX 10.6.4, updated to 10.6.5, didn't fix it. Then I changed my preview from "fit" (which is what I always have it set to) to 20%. For some odd reason, now it's totally fine when runing the timeline and resizing. Changed it to other percentage options, no problem. Went back to "fit" and no issues now. STRANGE. But there is something definately funky going on with this ATI card because when I do have the window set to "fit" even if I have no clips in the timeline, when I go to resize the preview window I get white blocks of corruption in the black movie window on the borders. I'm not a programmer but I believe this is a redraw issue? Maybe that's a problem causing the crash because the one time I was able to get an Apple report dump there was a kore panic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem.  I even had my Mac Pro replaced since there was no real clear cause to the issue other than a Kernal Panic tied to the graphics card.  I did however find a a posting claiming that using the "FIT" setting for the clips viewers caused this issue.  I changed both of my viewers to specific percentages and CS5 PP has been stable.  Every now and then the graphics card will become glitchy causing me to restart PP.  Give it a try and see if it helps.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean, after replace MAC PRO, did the problem continue, or with the new machine you finally fix the problem?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean, after replace MAC PRO, did the problem continue, or with the new machine you finally fix the problem?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I replaced the machine and had everything reinstalled and started editing and it crashed.  I was dumb-founded.  So, that's when I started digging into the forums and found that it's a common occurrence even with 5.02 installed.  That's why I posted the "Viewer Size" work around. I've been editing for a few hours now and PP hasn't crashed. I've had the viewers at 20% and 50%.  This is an OSX issue.  I had a Win7 machine this summer with a Quadro 3800 and it ran flawless.  CS5 is still a good suite, Adobe and Apple just need to play nice and work it out.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2010 Dec 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is an oversimplification. Plenty of people are running PPro CS5 on Macs with no problem whatsoever. I myself use Premiere on a 2008 Mac Pro and a 2010 Macbook Pro. Both use nVidia cards, so perhaps there is an issue with Premiere and ATI cards in Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree the theory is simple, but it's working. I've edited for 8

hours with no crash, set the percentage for the clip to "Fit" and premiere

crashes.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally have both source and program windows set to "fit" and Premiere never crashes. What kind of footage are you working with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with Sony EX1 720P Footage. I think it really stems around the

ATI drivers. I just had the system have another Kernal Panic. The report

lists ATI3000..... As the error.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some sort of conflict with ATI cards on the Mac definitely seems a good possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, Premier crash always at the begining. So I discover and try this points to avoid Kernel panic:

(sorry for my english)

1. Start premiere before others programs, and let it charge all media clips.

2. Move cursor in the timeline until see the image in the preview monitor

3. Play timeline, and if the image in preview monitor star freezing or strobe, stop imediately to evite kernel panic.

4. Repeat point 3 until the timeline's cursor plays normaly without strobe.

In my case, the image become strobe before crash.

After this 4 points I can edit for a long time without crashing, but I have to do this everytime I run other programs without close premiere.

Is a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also seeing intermittment system freezes in PPro CS5 on my Mac Pro and I have updated to 5.0.3 (lates OS X as well 10.6.5). I  think have narrowed it down to only happening when using a second monitor for External device playback (playback options menu). Sometime the video will just freeze and the audio will continue but the mouse and keyboard have frozen and only a hard reboot will do. Unfortuantely this kind of crash does not engage the crash reporter for Apple or Adobe. ATI 5870 card in use as well. It may just be a conincidence but sticking to one monitor has not produced a crash yet (I would prefer to use that second monitor however).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines