• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Burrito Mobile Apps Extremely Slow

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just deployed a simple little app, built with Adobe Burrito. it has a list view for locations and a map view for Google maps. You touch a location in the list and it displays your location (obtained via GPS) and the selected location. Simple. Yet, it deploys as a 650K app and runs like tortoise in quicksand. And, I'm on a HTC Evo, which has a snapdragon processor.

First, seems like the deployed apk is way to big, and second, it's an embarrasment in terms of performance when compared with other apps. The painting of the map is like watching a 300 baud modem display an old telnet session.

I hope Adobe plans to make big improvements or this is going nowhere in the arena of mobile app development.

Ron Grimes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not good news. Can you talk a little bit about what components you used if any and if your code is mxml heavy or you used more as3 classes? Not to try and back up adobe or throw dirt at you but it could very well be the way you developed the app and what includes were compiled with the application that make it big and slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly. I would be glad to share the specifics. I have the following classes:

StationLocator (MXML class):         1,627 bytes

Views

StationLocatorHome (MXML class):     2,597 bytes

MapView (MXML class):                4,789 bytes

Supporting Classes

Location (AS3 class):                4,132 bytes   

GeographyEvent (AS3 class):            349 bytes

GeographyWSAO (AS3 class):           5,641 bytes

3rd Party Components

map_flex_1_20.swc                   90,278 bytes

Of course, when you generate a new Mobile App project, it creates the StationLocator and StationLocatorHome MXML classes, based on your project name. So, I have those two MXML classes, plus a MapView class for Google maps. The rest are AS3 classes, along with the Google mapping component.

I've tried deploying it both with the Framework linkage set to "Merged into code" and "Runtime shared library(RSL)". Both perform basically the same. Lousy!

I'm going to re-do this project in Eclipse Java environment with the Android plug-in and SDK, and see how that performs.

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking at the size of the release APK or the debug APK?

(For release APK, go to Project -> Export Release Build.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the release apk. The debug apk was 1.5 meg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why, but this application is now seeming to perform well. So, I'm going to chalk this up to "unknown" at this time. I can't really say whether the previous slowness was due to Adobe Burrito, something in my design that has gotten resolved, slowness of Google maps, or what. But, right now, I"m happy with its response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my last post for "solution".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe other apps on your device were slowing it down? Just throwing that out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm new to Burrito and FB development and i detected the same issue during my work. I completed this tutorial here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/employee-directory-android-flex.html

and when i test it on my Google Nexus S, the List seems to be very slow and

compared to lists done in eclipse with the android SDK it's just awful.

Is this because of the testing environment? Perhaps the compiled apk file will

work better. i didn't try it..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines