Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Monitor For Graphic Design

Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to hear what everyone uses for graphic design with print/publishing in mind. I am new to researching monitors.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Unfortunately, this is a very subjective topic. It also gets stale quickly too, as new monitors are always arriving. You can search on the internet to find out about the computer monitors that video editors like to use most of all. Here are some examples for early 2013:

A lot of editors like the HP Dreamcolor, here's an article describing how to set it up.

Many pro video editors use a second

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some alternatives:

LaCie 730: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11095

NEC Spectraview: http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Series/?series=f52d7f47-df4d-4223-b75e-c23e8b085ed7

Eizo GC303: http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cg303w/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I would highly appreciate it if you give me your advice upon your experience about which monitor/s from the following list is/are very good for graphic design work.Please tell me one or two monitors from each brand so I could make my decision. I hope you could help me.

Thank you in advance!

EIZO

- CG223W-BK

- SX2262W-BK

- S2433WFS-BK

- EV2333WH-BK

- S2243WH-BK

- S2243WFS-BK

- S2233WH-BK

- S2233WE-BK

- S1932SE-BK

- S1932SH-BK

NEC

- PA241W Black

- PA231W White

- PA231W black-black

- LCD2490WUXi²

- LCD2190UXp

- P221W Black

- EA232WMi

- EA231WMi Black

DELL

- U2410

Fujitsu

- P27T-6 IPS

- P24W-6 IPS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Dell U2410 feed from my Decklink HD-SDI via an HDLink Pro. Top-notch monitor for sure, at least as good as my HP LP2475w. I put these 2 monitors as the best for broadcast video work just after the HP DreamColor. The factory tuned settings for sRGB and aRGB are very accurate (they even include a test results printout with the monitor).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, those are tremendous. Now, what sort of shinanigans can a person pull with a small budget?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is small?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about anywhere from $150-$300? Or is that impossible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samsung SyncMaster F2380 should fit that budget nicely and offers PVA quality. But you asked for the best, and though the SyncMaster IMO is the best for your budget, it is not the best overall. BTW, I have three of these myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to the Viewsonic website.  I'm currently using the ViewSonic VP2365, but they offer cheaper options.  Make sure it is an IPS display for starters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are snazzy monitors. And yes I did ask for the best. you must have three people working at once otherwise I would surmise you'd have one expensive vs. the three budget minded options?

Why is it that I see no mention of Asus monitors anywhere? Just curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the Samsung is the only PVA monitor in that budget range with those specs. Asus only has TN screens, and as you know TN is not as good as PVA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive software playing up again. This stuff happens about 1 - 2 times a week, but only on the PR forum. Not on other Adobe fora.

TN panels are the garden variety with only mediocre quality, PVA panels are the next step up with much better color fidelity and the best, but also most costly, are IPS panels. Asus only has TN panels. Samsung is the only PVA panel in that budget range with full 1080p resolution.

The reason I have three of them is because two are used in dual monitor configuration on my video system and the third one is used as a second monitor on my laptop, that I use for my Office applications, so it looks like a dual monitor setup as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2011 Feb 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had good experience with Dell Ultrasharp series, these are generally IPS panels. My first was the 2001FP (too old to consider now) and I'm now on a 2209WA. My work isn't majorly colour critical (web rather than print) but these screens do a very good job for the price, I can't really fault them. I'm currently looking at upgrading to the U2410 or doubling up my 2209WA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My old CRT just gave up the ghost so I'm looking to replace it. C-NET reviews says the NEC P221W is good (@ around $550.) except for limited connnection options. Any thoughts?

http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-3174_7-318.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I just purchased and am now going to return a Dell U2410. I read so many excellent reviews from everyone about this monitor. The one I received is very pinkish in color toward the bottom half of the screen and bluish in color towards the top half of the screen, impossible to calibrate. Also I notice that when I stand up and change the vertical viewing angle the appearance of the screen changes radically. I had read so much about IPS panels having excellent viewing angles that this surprised me. Is what I am seeing on this monitor typical?

Unfortunately there is no way to view in person any of the recommended monitors before purchase, so every time I buy one and return it I am out 15% restocking fee and return shipping. If they let you return at all.

I am now on my 3rd attempt at finding a new monitor to replace my Apple Cinema Display 23 inch, the older antiglare version.

Currently considering Lacie 324 or NEC LCD2490WUXI2-BK.

Am I likely to encounter the same problems I saw in the Dell?

My Apple Cinema Display had a uniform color overall and looked very natural. Unfortunately it has developed screen defects which are making it unusable. What monitor would be most similar to my Apple A1082 model?

Thanks very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that V Silly. It seems tinting is a known issue on some of these screens. I don't have one btw but I was planning to get one for my next upgrade. It seems strange as this screen has such good reviews, you must be one of the unlucky ones. IMO it's faulty so Dell should replace it free of charge although judging from this thread it may take a couple of goes http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19297120.aspx I haven't read the whole thread but there might be some useful info in there.

I still think they look like a great screen, my previous dell IPS displays have been top notch. Hopefully if you get a good unit you'll have a very nice screen.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is a very subjective topic. It also gets stale quickly too, as new monitors are always arriving. You can search on the internet to find out about the computer monitors that video editors like to use most of all. Here are some examples for early 2013:

A lot of editors like the HP Dreamcolor, here's an article describing how to set it up.

Many pro video editors use a second "color critical" broadcast monitor for grading and setting up the best signal for broadcast. Why?

• A computer monitor won't show interlacing.
  • A computer monitor can't be properly calibrated for broadcast.
  • A computer monitor may not show an accurate representation of the framerate (for example editing a 24P sequence while monitoring it at 29.97).
  • Without a broadcast monitor, you can't accurately gauge quality (for scaling, etc.).

If that's what you're looking for, check out these sites:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines