• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat read-only error message

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m having trouble with read-only error message when I try to save my pdf files to a network server. Do you know how to fix this or if this is a problem that might be solved in next update patch?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Network drives have always been a problem for Acrobat. A lot apparently depends on the specific network. Just save locally and then copy to the network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Acrobat and what exactly is the error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acrobat 9. There are no updates available.

Error message:

"The document could not be saved. The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and you have no problem saving a file to that folder from other applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem with other applications. And all my licence and rights on the network and computer are ok.

I can save the file locally (hard drive) and copy it back. But can not make any changes to it if it is on a network drive.

I sometimes get an error from Excel when I try to open files that the file is in use by another user. But then I have just closed the file and then open again without any problem. But no problem with save after I can open it.

I´m also experiencing that files are slow to open and if I delete or copy files between folder, it´s slower than usual. I have the feeling that when I close a file it takes some time for it to really close even though it disappears from my screen. So all actions with pdf and acrobat are a little slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2010 Nov 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey THorum, can you do a little experiment.

Open the file and do a SAVE AS of the same file. Now try to save this file on the network location. Also can you try storing it to some other network location??

Please update us with your findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do SAVE AS if I save under another

name. Aslo to other network locations. But then I can not change the file and save again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please physically check if the file has been marked "Read Only"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the file is not marked READ-ONLY. This happens to all my pdf files on the network drive, new files and old. Also sometimes I can not even change file names using F2 or rename because it is like the file is open or someone is using the file. Even though it is not. Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2010 Dec 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, I was unable to save or open files with Adobe Reader X from Network-drives.

So my solution was:

Turn off Adobe's Protected Mode

go to Edit->Preferences -> General and

uncheck Enable Protected Mode at Startup.

Worked for me!

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mcaubert's solution worked for me.

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem on Acrobat Pro 9. I tried to find Mcaubert's solution but could not find the Protected Mode at Startup check, and when I searched help, it came up blank too. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no protected mode in Acrobat 9. It was introduced in Acrobat X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that info, Try. So does anyone how do I solve the problem in Acrobat 9? And please don't say "Upgrade to X". I have no control over what version I am allowed to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines