Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

16 temp files from [cursing removed]

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

For some reason a set of 16 temp files is created on my store drive (D:\) when i start up PS. its not the scratch drive. that is located on my ramdrive. these files are named "****_********_MVM_*.tmp" where the first and second line of stars is a random number while the last star is the numbers from 0 to 15. all the 16 files will be named the same but whith a different count at the end.

this is really bugging me since that disk is for storing ONLY (eco green crap 2tb drive), and it looks ugly to. anyway, all the temp files are at 0kb and i cant seem to find any way to 'fill them' so i have no idea what they are for.

what i want is to move them to a specific folder or at least another drive. A:\ in my case

--------

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0 (12.0x20100407 [20100407.r.1103 2010/04/07:14:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) x64 (CS5 Extended)
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Built-in memory: 8183 MB
Free memory: 4488 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 7183 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 55 %
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\
Temporary file path: A:\Temp\USERTE~1\
Scratch volume(s): A:\, 2,00G, 1,91G free  (RAMDRIVE)

C drive 25gb free (ssd)

D drive 1,5tb free (store)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't look like Photoshop. PS' files are simply called PS***TMP.tmp or properly Photoshop Temp **************, depending on version of PS and file system of the scratch drive. This is coming from somewhere else, e.g. a service, a security tool or a third-party extension in PS.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for some reason after turning my user access control (UAC) on and off theese files stopped showing up, so mabye it was service related that they ended up there in the first place. but when i checked with unlocker software they where all used by photoshop.. hmm

anyway the problem is no more and i rest my case. thanks for your quick reply m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They could have been security session files of the licensing service or some such thing and were probably stored there, because the global temp directory was inaccessible. that would match with your description of toggling UAC et al...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2010 Nov 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

for some unknow reasons, I have the same problem.

On my system, I have two internal hard drives, which are scratch drives for photoshop CS5. I have 3 external hard drives.

Each time I open a file with CS5, it creates some .tmp files (same pattern than Psych0HoliC) on the 3 external drives.

I'm on Windows Seven 7 64bits and this happens only with the 64 bits version of Photoshop CS5. With the 32bits version I don't have this problem.

It's actually quite boring, since the external drives are often in sleep mode, so it takes a while to enable the drives, and some times it makes a windows I/O error.

My UAC is set to 0, I tried to put it to 1 but it changes nothing.

++

Bruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you play a racing game called "Man Vs Machine" by any chance?

*_MVM_*.tmp files are reported to be temporary profile files/ racing names for Man Vs Machine games

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

no, I don't play any game, it's on my work machine. And those files ( ####_#########_MVM_##.tmp ) appear when I open one file in CS5 (not when I start the program), and disappear when I close CS5 (not only the file, but the main program).

It's really boring, I must mention I don't have this with CS4 64bits. It's really due to Photoshop CS5 64bits.

++

Bruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boring or not, you should expect people to suggest things because it doesn't happen on every Photoshop CS5 64 bit system.

I just opened an image and no *_MVM_*.tmp file appeared on my system.  So it's something that's different about your system.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, and I thank you for suggesting things, when I say it's boring, I refer to the behavior of Photoshop CS5 64bits, not the behavior of fellow posters.

I should have mentioned that I have friends with similar system (seven 64bits, a bit less ram than me, I have 12gb, they have 6 or 8), and who do not experiment the same problem than me, so I know it's not a common problem. Still, common or not, it's boring

Cheers,

Bruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you by any chance use a ram drive? i do and i've changed the windows tmp and temp and user tmp and temp directory to this drive. it did not solve the problem to set them back to its original c:/temp folder for me though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been an ongoing discussion on this topic in the Bridge Forum for some time now.  (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/679238?tstart=0).  There have been no conclusions as to where they come from.

Since this threaed started I have seen the mmm temp files on at least 2 different drives.  All 0 bytes.  The appear in the root directory, even though this is not where the image files are stored.  I just delete them when they show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, is every user seeing these files running Windows 7?  Notably I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with UAC turned off.  Notably also I don't run Bridge.

The interesting thing is that, while I don't see any of these particular files, I *DO* see Photoshop spin up my external backup drive sometimes during application startup (I do not have this drive listed in the Edit - Preferences - Performance dialog).

The presence of these temporary files doesn't seem like any sort of problem.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and by the way if this helps understanding. when i open photoshop. these files is not on my drive, they will turn up first when i open a photo for editing, i do not have the 32 bit installed so i cant check if the problem is only with the 64 bit version. that would be wierd though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, those are not Photoshop files as far as I can determine.

That leaves the OS, third party plugins, drivers, and malware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ chris: those files are used by ps only. they are created when i open a file inside ps  and disapears when i close ps. its not malware the os is freshly installed, leaves os and drivers..

but here is the solution. VHD drives. i didnt really think about it but all files i work with lies on a *.vhd image located on my d:\ drive. on system startup this image is loaded as my b:\ drive. where i keep backups and a lot of write and read data so that these sectors are left alone on my storing drive. now i just tried to edit a image lying on my d:\ drive and the files did not appear....

EDIT:

pooper. when i copy the folder of images that where on my VHD drive to d:\ root and try to edit them, the same problem accures. mabye its because of the compression or bitlocker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't guessing, I was telling you: those files are not created by Photoshop.

I can find nothing in the Photoshop code that would create those files.

Again, you need to keep looking for what is creating those files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try on monday to determine what process could create those files. But that would be strange it's not PS CS5 64.

I'm not using virtual drive, nor I'm using image drive. I'm just opening .tiff or .jpg files.

As i previously said, those files are located on external drives only when opening a file in photoshop cs5 64bits (not when starting the program) and those file could not be removed until photoshop is closed, and when photoshop is closed, the files remove themselves).

For information :

I tried with illustrator cs5, it doesn't create such files.

I tried with photoshop cs5 32bits, it doesn't create such files.

I tried with photoshop cs4 64bits, it doesn't create such files.

Tomorrow I'll try to use process explorer to see what handle this files, except if you have better suggestion.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snugyo wrote:

But that would be strange it's not PS CS5 64.

You are a True Skeptic.  Other people are telling you their installation of PS CS5 x64 doesn't create them, a top Photoshop engineer has told you the code can't create them...

Out of curiosity, how many processes are running in your system right after you boot it up?  How many Add-ons do you have listed in Internet Explorer?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is about 72 processes running, but the very odd thing is that thoses files are created only when opening an image in photoshop cs5 64b. they do not appear in any other situation. They also disappear when I close photoshop. I hope you are able to understand this coincidences make me skeptical?By the way I never said I don't beleive a "top engineer", I just say I'll check which process has handle to this file.

And please, don't take this as a personnal offense, everyone could see this is a photoshop related problem, even if photoshop do not create the files itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense taken, and I'm sorry if I seemed blunt.  I'm just trying to guide you into looking at whatever else is installed and running on your computer.

You might consider using the (very good) free tools Autoruns and ShellExView to get a complete view of what's running on your system.  Also you might want to review all the non-Adobe plug-ins you have installed.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respect Cris Cox's messages, but I am also as skeptic.  There are many users, me included, that see the mmm. temp files file  such as this one on my dedicated internal scratch drive  (:///S:/4248_27721174_MVM_12.tmp).

The people reporting the mmm temp files all run different programs,  and the only common thread is that they use photoshop.  I suspect it is generated within Bridge, but that is just a guess.

Noel - Can you give me a search string that would bring up mmm files?  Even copying the above file does not bring it up in search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try entering this in Explorer's search box:

filename:*MVM*

Keep in mind that Explorer's search is inaccurate and misses things sometimes.  It's a real failure by Microsoft in my opinion.

Even better, install a freeware tool called grepWin.  From what I've seen it never misses anything, but it's a bit geeky to use.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mmm* does not work.  Have tried variattions of it and none work.  Even a copy and paste of the file name does not work.

Thought if I could get a search routine that worked, others could search their computers for mmm files.

Does MS even search for temp.  Am using Win7.

Message was edited by: Curt Y  that should be mvm, eyes tricked me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft has pushed this silly "Indexing" facility on us.  I call it silly because it's ridiculous to even think to pre-index an entire hard drive onto itself.  Either it will at least double the storage demands or the index has to exclude things.  They chose the latter, but how can they possibly know what you will want to look for?  Chances are what it excludes will be just what you'll be looking for (Murphy's law, and observed in real practice).

Plus the logic is just plain wrong.  It cannot index nor find things in older Microsoft Word documents, for example.  If not those, then what do they think we want to search?

Unfortunately indexing does nothing but muddy the water re: Microsoft Search results in Windows 7.  I personally have disabled indexing entirely, and without it Windows Search still functions - it becomes more of an actual SEARCH rather than some kind of database BS.  Plus indexing isn't using system resources all the time.  Plus there's an "atomic oplock" bug with indexing that can be devastating.

Disabling indexing increases the chances of actually finding what you're looking for, but STILL not to 100%!!

Microsoft Windows Search can be shown to miss files that clearly match search criteria, and (if you consider that a flaw) that makes it a failure no matter how you configure it or what syntax you use for the search.  The bottom line is this:  You cannot craft a Windows 7 search that will prove whether files do or don't exist on a given system - hence my reference to grepWin.

I just searched my entire system with grepWin, with Photoshop CS5 x64 running, and I have no files as described above containing MVM in their names.  Notably I don't run Bridge.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also use a utility to see what application/process has those files open.

Yes, this may be *related* to Photoshop, but I don't see how they could be created by Photoshop.

Again: third party plugins, other utilities (maybe even Bridge), the OS, etc. are all still possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines