Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 10.1 Randomly going corrupt

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am a technician with a school district.  This summer most of the computers in our schools were re-imaged with our latest images, which includes flash 10.1.53 Active X.  We are now getting tons of calls from schools reporting that Flash Player is not installed.  The funny thing is, its just happening on random computers (ie: in a lab of 30 computers, only 5 are affected).

When we try to uninstall/re-install Flash with the MSI package, the installer completes but Flash still does not function.  The only way we have found to fix this is to log into each computer and re-install Flash by going to adobe.com and installing via the web site.

1)  Is this a known issue with 10.1.53? 

2) Is there an easier way to fix each computer?  We use SCCM to push software packages and images, but like I said, the MSI installer does not remedy the issue on the computer.

3) Are there some things that I could specifically look for on these computers (ie: some sort of log file) that may explain whats happening?

Other info that may be helpful, we are running Windows XP, IE8 and NOD32.  This issue seems to be affecting multiple different images we use.  Our users do not have administrative rights.

Thanks

Rosy_55

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rosy#55 wrote:

our latest images, which includes flash 10.1.53 Active X.

Not sure, but this may be the problem.  Many sites test if the latest Flash Player (10.1.102.64) is installed, so maybe installing an old Flash Player version is not a good idea.

Installing via MSI should work without a problem - I have used it many times in the recent past.

You can download the latest MSI installer from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Additioal information can be found in http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I mistyped in my original post.  The image with 10.1.53 isn't our latest image, its just the one thats currently deployed.  10.1.53 was current when we imaged.

I'm pretty sure (about 95%) we tried using MSI installers for newer versions (10.1.85 and 10.1.102) as well to try and correct the issue, but I will try that again to be sure.  I currently have a couple other work arounds I can do for now.  I can push firefox and flash plugin to the computers. I have also built a new installation of Flash using AppV which seems to work good.  I have rebuilt our images with 10.1.102, hoping that will resolve the issue on anything imaged going forward....but mass imaging is tricky mid school year.

It would be nice to figure out the underlying issue, but if I don't I guess I can use my workarounds for now.

Thanks again,

Rosy#55

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried pushing a newer version of MSI to fix the problem, and like I thought it doesn't seem to correct it.  Are there some basic troubleshooting steps that I can use to troubleshoot a broken Flash Player on a workstation (log files, registry entries, missing files on the hard drive etc)?

Thanks

Rosy#55

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

But this is not how I would start investigating; my first steps would be:

1. does the Flash animation show at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ ?
  2. is the Shockwave Flash object add-on enabled in Internet Explorer?
  3. what files are in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash?
    • Flash10l.ocx
    • FlashInstall.log
    • FlashUtil10l_ActiveX.dll
    • FlashUtil10l_ActiveX.exe
  4. what is the content of FlashInstall.log?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Further steps to try:

• does disabling Hardware Acceleration (Flash Player Settings) fix the problem?
  • does updating the device drivers for the graphics/video/display adapter fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines