• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ActiveX Controls Error in .CHM

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a RH project and generated the .CHM file. The file is being called from the users C:/ drive and the original file has not been touched or altered in weeks. The user has accessed the file since the last modification and has not ecountered errors until now.

When opening the .chm file, the user receives this message:

ERROR.jpg

I checked this on my computer and all works fine. I have also asked them to check out other Online Help .chm files that are being called from the H:/ drive to see if they encounter the same error.

Does anyone know what could cause this error and if this is something on the user's computer or with the project settings?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Their security settings on their IE browser have been tightened up it looks like. Try having them turn on ActiveX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now two more questions...

First, if this is something to do with "tighter settings", does that mean it has nothing to do with the actualy RH project or .chm output file?

and

Second, what does it mean if they are not having this problem with any other .chm files run from the C:/ drive or network?

Your response is definitely pushing in the direction I was assuming, but I need to make sure I have plenty of proof and justification when tackling this one.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got 2 contradictory ideas going on here - if it's only their machine that's got the problem, then that tends to leave the .chm and its project off the hook; however, if they only have an issue with your .chm and nobody else's (which I doubt), the fault seems to indicate something in your .chm is off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

Unless specific measures have been taken that allow it, running CHM from a network location is a no no.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe network is an incorrect term; however, we have worked with our N/T department to ensure everything works properly. Everything has been working properly for some time, no problems; however, this user has used the .chm since its posting to the public user community and nothing has changed with the file. It worked ok for them until this afternoon when they received the message and now they cannot open any topic in the Online Help without receiving the error.

I have asked them to check out other projects but no response at this time. Does it look like this is more of a security settings issue on their computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Apparently they are having this problem with two .chm files, not just one (however all others are working properly).

I had two users test the one .chm file and they did not encounter any problems. I had one user test the other one and they did not encounter any problems.

Does this still sound like a security settings issue since it is happening on some and not all of them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If on the same machine, one .chm works (on the c:\ drive) and an identically located one (also on the c:\ drive) doesn't, then there's something wrong with the one that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if other users had no problems with the exact same .chm file on their computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then that would lead you to think that there's something with the person's machine & the offending .chm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp