Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording Browser Window

Jun 14, 2006 Jun 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to show a user navigating through a website. I hit record, and clicked from the home page, to about 4 layers deep. Captivate only recorded the first page and it's actions. How can I get captivate to record the whole progression?
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jun 15, 2006 Jun 15, 2006
Thanks Rick!
Are the other Macromedia/Adobe forums this responsive? Are there experts what monitor and assist as promptly as you have? My company is considering eLearning/LMS software, and support is a big part of the equation.
-Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2006 Jun 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fsodergren and welcome to our community

Did Captivate just end the recording? Or are you saying there were issues with what it did record? Captivate is known for capturing blank screens when recording things off the WWW. The reason is that it runs very fast on the local computer. So you click a link and the screen is captured. But that screen may not have rendered completely because images and whatnot haven't yet loaded up. Hence the blank or partial screens.

Cheers... Rick 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, thanks for the response.

My issue is a bit different. I would like Captivate to record my navigation through 3 consecutive pages, resulting in one slide. Instead, it stops recording with the first page, even while I contiue to navigate the other two pages. I then have to record three pages seperately, resulting in three seperate slides.

Is this the way the software is designed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again fsodergren

Indeed this is the way Captivate is designed to work. It is "event driven", where it simply takes snapshots of the assorted screens and blends them with mouse movement. The final illusion is a movie. ;)

You could try using full motion capture for this. You press F9 to kick it off, then F10 to stop it. However, I'll warn you up front that if you try it this way, it is way beyond the bounds of the intention for full motion in Captivate. Full motion is intended for very brief bursts, such as moving a window from one place to another. Or dragging a scroll bar down the page. Things that would normally take a couple of seconds to complete.

Cheers... Rick 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick!
Are the other Macromedia/Adobe forums this responsive? Are there experts what monitor and assist as promptly as you have? My company is considering eLearning/LMS software, and support is a big part of the equation.
-Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi fsodergren

LOL, I really wish I had the answer to that one from a 10,000 foot perspective.

I'm involved with only the Captivate and the RoboHelp and once in a blue moon, the Breeze forums. And the Captivate and RoboHelp forums have always had a long history of being, ummm, helpful. I think it may help you to know where they come from. See, I and others here come from an initial use of a product called RoboHelp. This is a product used to develop Windows help files. So it doesn't seem a stretch at all to think that if a person likes developing help files, they just might like helping folks out generally. So we try to be very helpful here. And it's not just me. There's Larry (CatBandit) and Paul DewHurst and Steve Shipe. All are a really great bunch of guys! Hmmm, thinking about it, hey gang, we seem a bit lop sided here. Seems we need a female or two for our Adobe Community Expert group for Captivate!

I wish you the best of luck with your projects! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources