• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IFrames in RoboHelp

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My group is looking into embedding IFrames into topics in RoboHelp, in order to single-source certain content that would otherwise have to be duplicated in multiple manuals; the same basic idea as using a snippet, except this approach doesn't require that the shared content all be in the same project. This seems to work fine with the compiled project, but the problem is we also need to be able to convert our RoboHelp projects to Word, then to PDF for printing. Unfortunately, Word doesn't seem to recognize the IFrame, or to pull in the content from the URL referenced in the IFrame, I'm not sure which. The result is that the content within the IFrame that displays just fine in RoboHelp simply disappears when the project is converted to Word; no error messages, or anything - it just isn't there anymore. Anyone have any insights on why this happens, or any suggested workarounds? BTW, we're using RoboHelp HTML 7. Our output format is FlashHelp, but I don't think this has anything to do with the problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I can easily see why IFRAME content isn't included in the Word document. Especially if the IFRAME is pointing to content that isn't part of the project proper.

About the only workaround I can think of is to copy the topic that appears in the IFRAME to the actual project before you create your Word/PDF output. You could condition them out for other builds.

One other thing I would really stress and encourage you should do is to report this as a need to Adobe. I'm not sure which version of RoboHelp you are using, but RoboHelp HTML 8 introduces a feature called the Resource Manager. What seriously needs to happen is to have the ability to store topics in common locations and have the Resource Manager as a means to keep them synchronized. (Link to the Wish Form is in my sig) It's my opinion that Adobe simply isn't understanding how helpful something like this could be.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had the same problem in a project. I applied a tag to the iFrame so that it only appears online. In printed documentation text is substituted explaining that in the online version whatever will be shown. Obviously that text is also tagged so it does not appear in the online help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp