9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2011 11:44 AM by GRIP54 RSS

Opening Collage Project Crashes PSE

dorich24 Community Member

Background:

OS X

PSE 9

When I click on Create>Collage I get a dialog to chose a size.

Alongside the size column is a theme column but after selecting a size there is nothing in the theme column.

Clicking Ok causes PSE to crash.

I get the same response trying to create a calendar.

Nothing in the theme column, a couple of images in the preview column. Select one of them, click ok and the app crashes.

Any suggestions as to what might be the cause of the problem?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Opening Collage Project Crashes PSE
          99jon CommunityMVP

Are you able to click on the advanced options button in collage?

• 2. Re: Opening Collage Project Crashes PSE

99jon wrote:

Are you able to click on the advanced options button in collage?

Thanks for responding.

Where is the button located?

I don't see it in the panels when "Create" is selected and its not in the dialog to create the collage.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Opening Collage Project Crashes PSE
              99jon CommunityMVP

After selecting your size and clicking OK the next dialog should offer this choice.

collage-advanced.jpg

• 4. Re: Opening Collage Project Crashes PSE

99jon wrote:

After selecting your size and clicking OK the next dialog should offer this choice.

collage-advanced.jpg

Unfortunately PSE crashes before it gets to this window.

It appears that this is a permissions issue.

The problem occurs in a user account.

If I run the app in an admin account it works.

Now I'm working on fixing the permissions.

• 5. Re: Opening Collage Project Crashes PSE

Solution:

Went to the library ( I think it would be called the root level, but certainly not at the user level)

library>Application Support>Adobe>Photoshop Elements>9.0>Locale>en_US

Changed permission to allow the specific user account to read and write, need to make sure the permissions are changed for the folder contents as well as the folder.

Application now works as expected.

• 6. Re: Opening Collage Project Crashes PSE
                    Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Just FYI, you're going to find other things in PSE that don't work right from a standard account. I don't know why adobe does this, but PSE is definitely designed to run from an admin account.

• 7. Re: Opening Collage Project Crashes PSE

Thanks.

I've run into problems with Premiere Elements, bought both apps at the same time, that were resolved with permissions issues.

• 8. Re: Opening Collage Project Crashes PSE

Postscript Note:

Adobe technical support told me that a new user account would solve the problem. Accordingly, after I had changed permissions as noted in my earlier post, I created a new user account and PSE did work correctly.

I then went back to my standard user account and removed the permission that I had added, and which had previously removed the problem. Launched PSE and it worked correctly.

I mention this because Adobe Technical Support suggested that I create a new user account and then move all my data to the new account and make it my standard account. While this is a clean solution its a lot of work.

If anyone else runs into this problem it might be worth tweaking the permissions as I did before going to a wholesale movement of data.

• 9. Re: Opening Collage Project Crashes PSE
                          GRIP54

I am glad I found this thread. I ran into this problem too with calendars and Content in the editor. I run workshops for kids, have a student account setup. The student account would crash when we went to the Create Section and did not show any of the content in the editor. I knew this had to be a permission problem since I could run the program fine in admin mode. When I did a "quick chat" with Adobe they could not help me and the phone line was a 45 minute wait! Yikes!! So, I will try this suggestion and hopefully it will work for me.

So, it seems that maybe after I change the permissions I should create new user accounts?