Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable click box

Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a slide in a Captivate 5 project where I want the learner to choose between two options. I'd like to be able to disable the one option when they choose the other. I know I could set up branching slides for this, but would rather not so I can save file size. So I've tried setting up each click box to have a an "on success" action of Disable and then disable the other click box. So click Yes and No is disabled; click No and Yes is disabled. I am also using success captions. When I choose Yes, I just want them to see the success caption and not be able to choose No, which would bring up the other caption on top of the Yes caption. I don't want to use rollover captions because the success captions to the Yes and No questions are similar.

So anyway, it's not working. I've tried both just using Disable and as a Advanced Action, but I get the same result. I click the Yes option and the success caption appears; then I click the No option and the success caption appears on top of the Yes one.

I've tried playing around with the number of attempts and such, but I'm not getting anywhere. Is there any way to get this to work or am I just trying to make the system do something it can't?

Thanks for your help.

Laura

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Hello,

You will have to create another advanced action to be triggered when (re-)entering the slide, so that everything is enabled again, or hidden or disabled. This action will be executed every time you re-enter the slide. I call it an 'initalizing' action.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may find that you need to have a more sophisticated On Success action set up for each clickbox.

Could you give us a bit more information about what it is you're trying to accomplish?

What do you want to happen when you "disable" an option?

How have you set the number of attempts?  Infinite or a finite number?

Using clickboxes will pause the movie slide. How have you prevented the slide from continuing to play so that the user still might have a chance to click the other option and find out that it's disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to be more specific.

What I want to happen is when one click box is checked the other click box doesn't work so the success text doesn't appear. I had the attempts set to infinite and then to one and it didn't seem to make a difference.

I've also set up Back and Next clickboxes at the bottom of the screen to get to the next slide. The project is a converted PowerPoint presentation that's an ethics tutorial, so I have a couple of scenarios where I'd like them to choose if something is allowed or not. I made buttons in PowerPoint and just have a clickbox over the top of each one and then the success text below in an empty part of the slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I'd post how I figured this out in case anyone else has the same question. The problem seemed to be the success captions, so I took them out and used text boxes instead with "Not Visible" selected. Then I created an Advanced Action to Show the Correct answer and Hide the Click box for the other option: click Yes, and hide No, etc. The one thing I can't figure out now is how to have the slide refresh if someone wants to go back. I have infinite attempts set, but when I go back to the slide a second time, it still shows with the first thing I did. I can't go back and choose the other option. Not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA,

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You will have to create another advanced action to be triggered when (re-)entering the slide, so that everything is enabled again, or hidden or disabled. This action will be executed every time you re-enter the slide. I call it an 'initalizing' action.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just what I needed. It took a little bit for me to figure out what you were getting

at (I haven't been using Captivate for very long), but it worked. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I disable a click box within its own advanced action? I'll just explain the context...I want the click box to be available only for one successful click. Once it has been clicked, I want to disable it. The advanced action for this click box consists of a few variables being set, and some captions displayed or hidden. So can i include a disable command for this click box here itself (ie., within its own 'On success' advanced action)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

No problem, have done so multiple times.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2011 Jun 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.That's a big help. I wasn't sure that was happening. Now I need to

check the rest of my logic to find why the program is not behaving as it

should.

Sorry about the delayed response (I was on vacation).

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources