• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloading Reader X without installing

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having an unusual problem with Reader 9. Some of my files print out as gibberish even though the screen version is fine. (anyone who can figure out that one...would LOVE to hear from you since no one else has been able to help me with that yet!)

Re-installing it didn't seem to help.

So I thought I'd update to the latest version.

Since I'm on dialup, I went to an internet cafe to get the file and discovered that it downloads directly to the computer making it impossible for me to control where it downloads. WHY? I run into this problem with some other software updates and it is ruddy frustrating since some of us have no choice in how we have to handle things.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a way I can get the file and specify that it be downloaded to a portable drive. That option seems to be available for the 9 versions. Is it also possible for X and where would I find it? I use WinXP and prefer Firefox but would have to use Internet Explorer at the cafe to download.

Again, I don't know why Adobe makes it so hard to find such files or to download things with more control.

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download it from here http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

...or from this direct download link http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.0.0/en_US/AdbeRdr1000_en_US.exe

...or navigate the Adobe FTP site to get any released Reader version ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/ (including MSI installers).

foresthowlingwolf wrote:

Again, I don't know why Adobe makes it so hard to find such files or to download things with more control.

It's not really hard; all these links are published multiple times a day in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2010 Dec 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll try those links as soon as I can get back to the internet cafe.

As for "It's not really hard; all these links are published multiple times a day in this forum."......I'm sure for those lucky folk who have constant access to highspeed, hanging around forums would not be a problem. But when you are on dialup, that's another story. I'm just saying,  wouldn't it be nice of Adobe if they gave people a choice right on the original download page as to where they want it downloaded to instead of making people go through forums and all that. Wouldn't it be less time consuming for everyone?

Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe publishers the files in the way they do because they think it makes it easier for the largest number of their users. The number of people that download their software to bring home from an internet cafe is probably quite small. Adobe uses download managers because they believe that is what works best for their users. Personally, I despise download managers. I know from the talk here, that I am not alone. But Adobe isn't catering to me, but to their typical user. Hopefully, the links people have provided to you will suit your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have read scores of messages complaining about the Download Mana

ger...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

foresthowlingwolf wrote:

wouldn't it be nice of Adobe if they gave people a choice right on the original download page as to where they want it downloaded to instead of making people go through forums and all that. Wouldn't it be less time consuming for everyone?

I personally detest download managers, and Adobe's one is one of the worst around (bundling unrelated software in the process).  I never use it, and I never recommend anyone to use it.

But even without this forum, the alternate download links are easy to find.  Just google "Adobe Reader direct download" or anything similar, and you will be given dozens and dozens of download locations, not only at the Adobe site, but a great number of 3rd-party download sites like CNET, Filehippo, Majorgeeks, ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2010 Dec 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that info. I will keep it in mind.

I think perhaps there is too much assumption being made that most people have all this computer savvy (not to mention, time) to figure out all these ins and outs for accessing things.

There are those of us, however, who by lack of time, resources, or our ages, just can't get into all this. Most of them probably just give up and never complain about it or, maybe are lucky to know someone who is a computer geek and can do all this for them. I used to be very up on computers when they first started becoming available for home use in the late 70's and 80's but even I've given up on trying to keep up with it all. I thought computers were supposed to make our lives simpler, not more complicated and time consuming.

Sorry, ranting there....uselessly so, I guess, since, if anything, things are going to get a whole lot more complicated rather than less so.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2010 Dec 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

thank you for your advice, especially to http://get.adobe.com/de/reader/enterprise/.

It's totally OK that Adobe offers the Adobe Download Manager as the default way for distributing the Reader.

But like Foresthowlingwolf, I would be very very grateful if Adobe would make the hyperlinks for getting the plain exe-file more obvious!

--> I don't think it would trouble the average user if there would be a small additional link for that purpose.

In the FAQ, Adobe themselves mention that option, but I didn't find it any more.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/520/cpsid_52001.html

"Users with supported operating systems/browsers who are having  difficulty can use the alternate hyperlink provided on the Thank You  page."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines