Exit

Videos stop after few seconds then continue

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system is W7 Home Premium 32 bit and IE 8

Just recently I find that when I try to play a video clip (generally BBC News

but also others) the rotating circle of dots displays whilst the video is loading

but it then plays (sound and vision) for only a few seconds then stops for about

10 seconds and then resumes playing right through to the end.  If I click on

'play again' it will play the complete video without any interruption.

At first I thought this was my system malfunctioning, but having set up a laptop

for a friend (using W7 Home Premium 63 bit and IE 8) the same thing is happening.

I am posting to this forum as it seems that many video problems are down to

aspects/settings of Flash Player.

All suggestions to resolve this problem greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you might want to go here:  http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ Then RIGHT click on the Flash logo, click on Settings, then Display Settings and UNcheck the hardware acceleration feature.

This has helped other users. Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb - thanks for your reply but on the page that link goes to there is no sign of a Flash logo.

The only logo I can see on that page is the one for Adobe.

Just to clarify my original post.  After "stops for about 10 seconds" I should have said

"then restarts from the beginning and plays through to the end."  Also my friend's

laptop has 64 bit not 63 bit!!!

Regards

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, It is Adobe's Flash Logo, a Red "F" that "spins". Did you see that? If so, that is the one. You can use that to UNcheck the hardware acceleration. However, that site will confirm that you have Flash Player Installed correctly if you can see is "spin" and it will also display the Flash Player version that you have Installed.

Hope that helps. Yes, I knew you meant 64 bit:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just tried the link again and was able to get a glimpse of the Flash logo

before it was overwritten by an Adobe advert to install Kuler - some sort of

colour theme software - but I cannot find any means of getting rid of the ad

to access the logo, which incidentally doesn't seem to be spinning.

However I have discovered that if I right click on the bottom of the video when

it is on screen, the drop down menu shows five items.  One of them "About

Adobe Flash Player 10..." goes to the same page as your link and is immediately

overwritten as above.  Another menu item "Settings..." brings up a very small window

headed 'Adobe Flash Player Settings' with a row of icons along the bottom of the

window.  Clicking on the first of these (which looks like a monitor) shows 'Display'

and below it a checked box 'Enable hardware acceleration'.  Unchecking that box

however makes no difference to the performance of the video.

It seems that the above is another means of doing what you originally suggested,

but unfortunately does not cure the problem.  Any other ideas please?

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes I just checked that site and the Kuler ad does cover up the Flash logo. It "spins" and then stops. That was easier than using a youtube video since sometimes users are having a problem with viewing videos there. Guess we'll have to find another object:-)

Are you having those problems on youtube as well as the BBC site?

Are you using a router with another computer hooked up? Are you wireless or wired?

What Anti-Virus do you use and are there any AV add ons Installed in the browser?

Do you have the Security set to Medium for the Internet Zone? (Tools>Internet Options>Security)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in answer to your questions: -

Doesn't seem to happen on Youtube at the moment, although I have

a feeling that it might have done a while back

No router in use.  Wired connection to modem

AVG (Free) anti-virus.  AVG add-ons are Security Toolbar, Safe Search

and Security Toolbar BHO

Security Level for Internet Zone shows as 'Custom' and many of the settings are disabled.

Thanks

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the answers. I am going to copy and paste the instructions from Adobe for Security Settings for the Internet Zone:

Make sure that Internet Explorer security default level is set to Medium. This level allows viewing ActiveX controls, such as Flash Player. To set browser security to Medium, perform the following steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
  2. Choose Tools > Internet Options.
  3. Select the Security tab.
  4. Select Trusted Sites zone.
  5. Select the Default Level button. (If the Default Level button is dimmed, continue to the next step).
  6. Move the slider until the security level is Medium. 
  7. Select Apply.
  8. Select the Internet zone.
  9. Repeat steps 5 - 7. When done, select OK.

Do that and see if that helps. Let me know, as some of the AVG components may need to be addressed. But I want to see if this Security Setting solves the issue for you first.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have carried out the steps as directed, and as these had no effect I

rebooted but even that did not alter the performance of the video.

On a slightly different topic, can you tell me how I can ensure that I get

Email Notifications only for this thread.  I have gone into my Adobe account

and set the drop down filter to 'Thread' but it seems to revert to 'All' with

the result that I am getting loads of emails about lots of other threads.

Thanks

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok I wasn't sure if that was an issue or not, but at least you have it set to Medium, so leave it on that setting. The Medium Setting from my understanding is so you can view Flash content.

On the email notifications: You should only be receiving those from any thread you have replied to. I just checked mine in my

account and that drop down filter is set to All items. Then when you first come to the Flash Player Forum, look to the right side and you'll see NOTIFICATIONS. Under that mine says "Receive email notifications" If yours does not, then click on it until it does. Finally, when you open your thread, on the right side you will see "ACTIONS". On mine I can see "Stop email notifications" That is how mine are set and what I see under each area. I receive only email notifications from the threads that I respond to, no others. Hope that helps.

Now to AVG. They have a LinkScanner that causes problems and many users disable it. Open AVG from the system tray icon and Double-Click on the LinkScanner. UN-check the option "Enable AVG Search-Shield and Enable Active Surf-Shield"

Then SAVE the changes.

Then I would disable the Security Toolbar, SafeSearch and the Security Toolbar BHO.

Oh, on that test link where the ad covered the Flash logo? I checked with Pat and he said just right click on the ad itself and it does the same thing!!

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the info re Email Notifications which I have set as suggested.

We'll see if that works for me!

I also made the changes to AVG settings but regret to say that there is

still no change, even after again rebooting.

Thanks

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes I hope the email notice changes works too. I had a problem several months ago as you are having and finally made the changes as I listed and have not touched them since, LOL

Well if those AVG changes didn't help, then I am concluding it is the website. I think what you are experiencing is "buffering". I have this on a site I use to live stream, but I just leave it alone and finally it starts working. It isn't due to the site nor Flash Player. It is the Router that I use since I have another computer. Never happened before the Router was used.

What is the URL of the BBC website?

Have you tried Youtube videos, or is it just live streaming?

The previous version of Flash Player was 10.1.85.3, did you have this issue with that?

Trying to determine if it's the website/Flash Player version.

Did you keep the hardware acceleration off?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is the URL for one of the BBC video clips that is pausing just after

apparently completing its download - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11946999

It will be interesting to know if you manage to view it without that initial interruption.

However beware that some BBC output cannot be viewed outside the UK because of

(performing) 'rights restrictions'

I am not sure how to get Youtube live streaming.  Most of the Youtube items I have

watched seem to work OK although some do seem to suffer from buffering problems

part way through.  I can watch BBC iPlayer (which downloads streaming programs)

without any problems.

My current version of Flash Player is 10.1.102.64 and I think it was updated only

recently.  I cannot remember exactly when this problem started i.e. before or after

updating to the latest version of Flash Player.  Yes, Hardware acceleration is OFF.

Thanks

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Well you are going to be as surprised as I was when I tell you that the site came up. Maybe the BBC lifted some restrictions for us over here, LOL Anyway, David Cameron & Ed Miliband in tuition fees clash was the video. I clicked on the video, watched the Price line ad first and then was able to watch the video with no problem.

I am using XP/SP3 with IE8 and the the previous version of FP. The hardware acceleration is ON.

That was my other computer (laptop).

Now I just checked that site with my work computer(Desktop) that does have the latest FP Installed and hardware acceleration is ON it also and didn't have any problem.

Both of my computers are 32bit.

So in conclusion, it is not the website. Or at least over here, LOL

What you may want to check is go to Tools, Manage addons and find Shockwave Flash Object and make sure it is vs 10.1.102.64 and enabled.

You can also check your Flash files by going to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back all files listed there.

I know Youtube doesn't stream, but just wanted to see if you had any video issues there.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am glad you were able to get into the BBC site.  You may probably know that the BBC are

forbidden to broadcast commercial advertisements in the UK, but I understand they are allowed

to do so for some of their foreign broadcasts - to recoup some of their expenses.

It occurs to me that because the news video was preceded by an advertisement, the video had

enough time to completely download before it started to play.  Does that sound reasonable?

I get the feeling that my problem is concerned with buffering and the video is starting to play before

it is completely downloaded; as I said previously, replaying the video (when the whole file is presumably

in memory) it plays right through without interruption.

As I stated in my first post, viewing videos on my friend's laptop is also having the same problem.

Instead of connecting the laptop into a network, I have disconnected my own desktop Ethernet

connection from my modem and then connected the laptop via the Ethernet.  That means that the

common things to both systems are the modem and the Internet connection to my ISP, which

makes me wonder if there is a problem with the modem?  It will be interesting to see what happens

when I take the laptop back to him and connect via his router.

Having checked the Shockwave Flash Object I was surprised to find it is version 10.0.045.2

whereas Adobe's 'about' page informs me that I have version 10.1.102.64 of Adobe Flash Player

installed.  I understand that Shockwave is installed as part of Flash Player so do not understand

the discrepancy between versions.  Could the different versions cause a conflict?  However

my friend's laptop shows 10.1.102.64 for Shockwave and Flash Player.

The files in the Flash folder are - Flash101.ocx, Flash Install.log, FlashUtil101_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil101_ActiveX.exe and install.log

With regards to streaming another site I go to is EarthCam - http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

and have no problems watching this.

Hope you may be able to deduce something from all of the above

Thanks

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, On the ad running before the video, that may be possible. On the modem, they do act up, but that would effect any computer using it. But I don't think the modem would have any effect on the buffering . The modem would effect the signal or power from what I have experienced anyway.

I'm glad you checked the Shockwave Flash Object, since that is most likely the problem. You see, that works with the Flash files, which are correct. But the conflict is that the SFO and the Flash files are different versions. For some reason when you Uninstalled, the SFO old version was not removed. This may have happened, if a Reboot(restart) of the computer was not done after the Uninstall and the Install.

Regarding your friend's computer, he may have a different issue, i.e. an addon conflicting.

Since your Flash files are correct, the test site detected those and you saw the animation which was made possible due to having the SFO. Even tho this is the old (very old) version, you passed the test. Now you can still see video, but the problem is the buffering:-)

What I would do is download the Uninstaller and SAVE it to your Desktop. Then download the Installer and SAVE it to your Desktop.

Close all browsers, disable any messenger service if you use any that are in your system tray(area near the clock).

Run the Uninstaller, then Reboot. Check to see if that SFO has been removed. If so then Run the Installer, then Reboot.

Then check your Flash files and the SFO to make sure the correct versions are Installed.

Uninstaller:     http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Installer:         http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

On the Installer site, use the Windows, Internet Explorer, EXE Installer

I think this is the best thing to do. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Well I have carried out your instructions and now have both SFO and FP

running version 10.1.102.64 and all files correctly present in the Flash folder.

Initially I thought nothing had changed as the first video I played (David Cameron)

stopped a few seconds in and then restarted.  However I have played some more

videos which apart from seeming to take longer to load, played without trouble.

This one http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11966449 played correctly

the first time but when I refreshed the page and played it again it had the problem.

Unless you have any more troubleshooting ideas I guess I will have to put up

with this slightly irritating problem.  Who knows it might cease as suddenly as

it began!

Thanks

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well glad you have FP Installed again and especially the SFO latest version. You have a little improvement, which is a good sign.

Now I have found that when an Uninstall/Install has taken place, sometimes another reboot helps "settle" the changes. It wouldn't hurt to try that.

One thing that we haven't covered is Java. Go to Programs & Features or Control Panel and post back all Java listings with their version numbers.

Take a look in your Manage add ons and post back the Java entries. A 2 SSV Helper does conflict so disable it if it is listed; not needed and why Java continues to Install it no one knows. Deployment Toolkit is another one that is not needed unless you are a Developer, so it can be disabled also.

To find all of the Java add ons, you will need to look under "Show" (very light text) and open all 4 sections from that drop down arrow.

BBC certainly has made some changes and Flash Player is now used more and more. Java also, when it comes to viewing Flash content.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2010 Dec 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - With regard to reboots I did so after uninstalling the FP & SFO

and again after installing the latest version of FP & SFO, and I have

done a couple of reboots since then.

In Programs and Features the only Java listed is 'Java(TM) 6 Update 22'

which at the bottom of the window says 'Product version 6.0.220'

In Manage Add-ons the five Java's listed are: -

Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper)

Deployment Toolkit                ) both of which I have now disabled

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22

isInstalled Class

Yes the Plug-in's do appear twice and seem to be identical

with File Date 15/09/10 04:50 Version 1.6.0.22

Thanks

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok on the reboots and the disabling of those 2 Java addons. The latest Java Update is now 23 and if you want to update, I would recommend removing Update 22 first and then going to www.java.com to get the vs 23. And yes, Reboot after removing the 22 and installing the 23:-)

The plugins for Java are ok, they are for different files, so leave them as is.

I don't know what else we can do, but you may want to take a look at this short thread. Whether it will help, I can't say. But it's worth a try. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/763975?tstart=0

Other than that I think we have done all I know what to do, other than contacting BBC to see if they have an answer.

Regards,

eidnolb

Let me know if you find a fix:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I removed Java update 22 (but was puzzled that the uninstall window

was headed update 19) and rebooted then went to Java.com to get

update 23 and guess what - Java recommends Version 6 Update 22!!! see

http://www.java.com/en/download/inc/windows_new_ie.jsp

Searching for Update 23 on that page results in

'We did not find any search results for: update 23 url:en'

from a page of Oracle.com

Googling 'Java update version 23' produces a number of references

to it but none from a Java URL

I would welcome you comments please.

Thanks

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sounds confusing. But you are correct, Java says 6 Update 22 is good. This link explains that the 6 Update 23 is out and it is a "bug" fix. I would think that would involve Security. There are several sites that have the info about this Update, but if Java doesn't have it on that site, then I'd just Install Update 22 back.

Sorry about the confusion, but several reputable sites had this Update and announced it on 12/8/10. It is being updated, so I would wait until the Java site offers it. You could check back in a few days. I don't know why they would put it out there and then not have it on their site.

I hadn't updated yet, for lack of time.

http://java.about.com/b/2010/12/10/java-se-6-update-23-released.htm

On what happened when you Removed Update 22 and saw that Update 19 was being removed. I had this happen to me when updating from vs 21 to vs 22. I had clicked on the Java Update icon that appeared in my system tray when updating to vs 21. Well I'll never do that again. They have a "bug" with their Updater in my opinion. So I always Remove the old version from Add/Remove (XP here) and then Install the newest version from Java. I found out that vs 22 never did Install!!! That was the first time I allowed the Updater to be used.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I have now reinstalled Update 22 and will await Java's notification that 23 is available.

I have also downloaded Google Chrome and am having exactly the same problem, so it

seems that the fault is either the BBC or something amiss on my system, and nothing

to do with which browser is being used.

If I find a fix I will certainly post it here, but in the meantime I would like to thank you

most sincerely for your time and patience in trying to help me with this problem.

Thanks

ollyoscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Yes I would have re-installed Java 22 also. Have no idea what that is all about, hope Java explains it!

The only other thing that you could try is to use IE and disable all add ons/Toolbars OTHER than Shockwave Flash Object and Java and see if that makes a difference. Then do the same with the other browsers. Sometimes add ons can cause conflicts.

If you find that you don't have a problem, then only enable one add on at a time per browser so you will know which add on was causing the conflict. If you just re-enable all of them, then you won't know:-)

Your thanks is appreciated

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines