35 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2015 4:11 AM by Willi Adelberger RSS

Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

MdesignAZ Community Member

In InDesign, using the spacebar to toggle the Hand Tool stops working.

When it stops working in InDesign, it also stops in Photoshop and Illustrator.

If I close the applications, and restart the machine - this combination starts working again, however after a while it stops working again.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated - you don't realize how much you use this 'til it goes away!

Matt

===============================

iMac 27" / 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB Ram

OS X 10.6.5

• 1. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
          Michael Gianino Community Member

What if you tap the Escape key first? Does that work?

• 2. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

Tried the [ESC] key, same thing - still doesn't work.

• 3. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

I just noticed if I quit Google Chrome - it starts working again.

huh?

• 4. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                Mr. Met Community Member

Chrome must claim the space bar for some function or other.

• 5. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                  pdlavalle Community Member

Me too. Spacebar works again after quitting Chrome.

Man, Chrome, between this and your flash issues, I think it's time we go our separate ways.

• 6. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                    Miles Murray Community Member

Hi,

Have just experienced the same problem myself - only I wasnt running Chrome. However, I was running Firefox - which had a MS Silverlight page loaded (may or may not be related) - and on quitting Firefox, the problem solved itself again. So seems it may not just be related to Chrome, but it does suggest some web technology interfering with the way InDesign interprets the space bar trigger.

Just my two penneth worth!

Miles

• 7. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                      John Hawkinson Community Member

I would suggest you try changing tabs in Firefox. The last time I tried to reproduce this problem I couldn't, but if you have a good reproducible test case you should file a Firefox/buzilla bug...

• 8. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                        joerivera Community Member

I've had the same situation -- Chrome causing the problem. Quitting Chrome solves the problem every time -- I've done it dozens of times now to solve the problem across PS, AI and InDesign.

Not sure if this is the case for anyone else -- but it seemed to happen only when I was running sites like Gmail and Twitter that update constantly in the background. Maybe that is a connection, maybe not.

• 9. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

Not sure if this is the case for anyone else -- but it seemed to happen only when I was running sites like Gmail and Twitter that update constantly in the background. Maybe that is a connection, maybe not.

That technology is called AJAX, but I don't think it is the issue.

I think the source is web sites that define modifier keys in the browser -- somehow the act of doing so causes the browser to steal some keyboard handling events that it should not, and the Adobe apps no longer receive them, or no longer receive them in the same way.

• 10. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                            peter at knowhowpro Community Member

John Hawkinson wrote:

That technology is called AJAX, but I don't think it is the issue.

I think the source is web sites that define modifier keys in the browser -- somehow the act of doing so causes the browser to steal some keyboard handling events that it should not, and the Adobe apps no longer receive them, or no longer receive them in the same way.

Interesting that no OSs are mentioned. When I reported to the developer of TextExpander, a Mac keystroke macro tool, that the product stopped responding to its trigger shortcuts, the response was that some browsers caused it. Since then, I have been using Safari almost exclusively, with no recurrence. I'm not sure if newer releases of TextExpander have solved the problem, or if updated browsers no longer create it.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 11. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

I've only seen it on Macs, but I have not looked for it under Windows.

• 12. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                anninjune Community Member

just found myself suffering from the same problem: I tried deleting my preferences and that did not work.

I had Dreamweaver open at the same time - once I closed Dreamweaver everything seems fine (with InDesign) - hand tool/spacebar is working again. I'm using InDesign CS5, on an iMac, OS Version 10.6.8.

• 13. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                  dlevinson18 Community Member

I've had this problem a couple of times in the last few months. I'm using CS5.5 on a Mac running OS 10.7.3. I have Safari, FF, and Chrome open simultaneously, all the time.

The first time, a few months ago, I found a solution online that, IIRC, was to go into keyboard shortcut in InDesign, and delete the setting for Hand Tool. I could be wrong about that tho. It did seem to solve the problem.

However, it just happened again today, and after reading the posts above, I tried something else. I had just opened Paypal.com in Firefox, and that's right when the Hand tool/Spacebar shortcut stopped working. I didn't realize it right away, but after quitting FF, the spacebar tool worked again. Then I re-opened FF, went back to Paypal (in a second tab), and the spacebar tool was non-responsive again. Closed that one tab in FF (Paypal.com), switched back to InDesign, and it works fine.

So, apparently Paypal.com on FF is the issue (of course, there could be many other sites that cause the same problem). I'm not sure what it is about the site/coding that renders the spacebar shortcut useless, but that's the problem, at least for me.

For what it's worth.

• 14. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                    Larry G. Schneider MVP

It's a Mac OS security bit which blocks the modifier keys from working if there is an open port which has access. It's supposed to prevent malware from executing system events.

• 15. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

That doesn't sound right. What do you mean by "an open port"?

If you mean an open TCP port, that's clearly not the case, since hundreds of apps do that and don't cause this behavior.

• 16. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                        Larry G. Schneider MVP

I guess I mean something which has an open connection and does automatic downloads. Used to be Quicken was one which would cause this behavior.

• 17. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)

But everything from Safari to Firefox to ftp to the Adobe Updater meets that description. Do you have any documentation to suggest this is a deliberate system action to prevent malware, or is it just speculation?

• 18. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                            Larry G. Schneider MVP

Sorry just what has worked in the past. Firefox (or at least some addons) has been reported as a problem as well.

• 19. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                              DirtyFourLtrWrd Community Member

I already posted this to another thread, but I was having the same problem and found on the other thread that closing the browser seemed to fix the problem. This absolutely was the case on my iMac OS X Lion running Chrome and CS5.5. I then also discovered that I could reopen Chrome and not have the problem again AS LONG AS I didn't log in to LastPass. Every time I log into LastPass, I lose my spacebar grabber again and have to log out and restart Chrome.

• 20. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                makyo44 Community Member

It was Dreamweaver (CS5) for me too, as reported above already. Once I closed it, InDesign CS5 and its hand tool returned to normal.

• 21. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                  Gohunter Community Member

Looks like this bug still exist today. Suddenly my InDesign stopped responding with space bar as well as command and option key combinations. Upon reading the posts above, realized that the latest version of Chrome was open. Just closed Chrome and problem solved.

• 22. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                    MikeV1234 Community Member

Windows 8

Go to  Metro UI> Settings > PC and Devices > Trackpad > Touchpad - 

• Deactivate the Touchpad Delay.

Also:

I used a different wireless mouse which worked fine. The issue is possibly related to Mouse/Touch problems.

• 23. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                      Vee S Community Member

I just experienced this same issue and the only browser I had open was Safari. I closed the browser and it fixed the issue.

• 24. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                        francisco cazares Community Member

I had the same problem but using photoshop, and suddenly no longer served the tool, I realized just installed an antivirus webroot which only called off and immediately run back the to handle.

Therefore I recommend that deactives any protective software. I hope you can solve soon.

Regards!

• 25. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                          Ranjoharbri Community Member

I ocassionally have the same problem with the spacebar not operating the handtool when using Photoshop CC 2014 with Safari running.
                                                          I just quit Safari and re-open it and the spacebar/handtool function works as it should.

• 26. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                            jorjah-b Community Member

Okay, so I think I might be able to help. I'm not a tech expert, but I had this issue today. It only started happening after I had an new hard drive put in, at which point a new internet security program was installed on my computer. Before this program was on my machine, this "temporary hand tool with the use of the space bar in Adobe CS products not working" problem did not occur. So, I figured it had to do with upgrading from OS 10.6 to OS 10.7 or with Webroot {the internet security program}, since those were really the only things that changed from pre- hard drive crash to post- hard drive crash. When I was poking around Webroot, I noticed there was a "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry" button to choose. Seeing that word "keyboard" was the lightbulb moment. Coupled with the comment above from Larry G. Schneider...

It's a Mac OS security bit which blocks the modifier keys from working if there is an open port which has access. It's supposed to prevent malware from executing system events.

I figured that my Webroot {which is meant to prevent malware and such} was overriding certain keyboard functions to prevent malware from detecting my keyed entries in place that could breech security on my machine.

So, I decided to try turning that pause button on... and sure enough, my temporary space bar hand tool came back. That is the only thing that worked. Not quitting out of Chrome. I suspect the reason for that is because Webroot was still operating outside of my Chrome application being open and active. So, for those who were able to get it to work again by quitting Chrome {or Safari, Firefox, etc... any of the above mentioned}, perhaps in quitting out, it was automatically quitting some other type of security extension that is loaded in the browser that does not work independently of the browser, but only when the browser is open. Quitting the browser would quit the security extension that was preventing keystroke detection and securing keyboard entry.

Apparently, this could also be turned on in Terminal {something I discovered by researching my problem and finding an article about it}. See screen capture below.

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 4.59.49 PM.png

So, if it can also be turned on there, I imagine it's something that comes with several applications or extensions. If you are experiencing this problem, my suggestion is to find out if there is somewhere on your machine, in some running program, where this security is turned on, and then try turning it off to see if you got your hand tool back. It worked immediately for me after having tried many other things. This might also explain why it's only a temporary fix for some... why it returns, because the default of that program that has the security {Secure Keyboard Entry} is to be on. The nice thing about Webroot is that the button to pause it is always available up in my top menu bar by the date and time on my mac, under the Webroot icon. I can pause it whenever I'm in InDesign {which is where I was experiencing the "bug"}, and then unpause it when I'm not using InDesign to restart that added measure of security.

Hope this helps a lot of people with this issue. I don't seem to have found a solid answer on any forum, but this seems pretty thorough to me. Interested in finding out if others are helped by these same steps. I hope so. And if so, I hope that more applications will make it more obvious so that people don't have to dig around so much. For instance, it would be nice if Adobe saw it as a known and fixable issue and provided documentation about it... what to do or check if it happens to you... so that people won't have to hunt around as much as I did {although, that part was kind of fun and I felt pretty smart and accomplished afterward... even knew the fix when talking to a Geeksquad guy while he was not aware of the problem nor did he have any idea what to suggest}. For me, it was beyond frustrating, because I use that function in InDesign ALL the time. Hopefully Adobe will put something about this in their Help. Perhaps it's already there?? I just know I didn't find anyt

Anyway, just goes to show how much these forums help. Without this thread, I might not have thought twice about the "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry" button when I saw it.

Hope everyone gets a permanent solution to this problem!

• 27. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                              chriss23783528 Community Member

Thank you jorjah-b. This was exactly what was causing this problem for me. My IT installed Webfoot on my machine yesterday afternoon and my spacebar, shift and option keys all stopped working within Abobe CC programs. I unchecked 'Secure keyboard entry mode' and things are back to normal.

• 28. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                                jorjah-b Community Member

so glad i could help, chriss. glad someone else got this thread started and rolling so that it could help me figure it out... and thus help others.

• 29. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                                  ThinkMattClark Community Member

My issue as well...
                                                                  Hand Tool (spacebar) stopped working suddenly in Adobe CC 2014 (PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator). Over two days I tested (by closing programs and seeing).
                                                                  Safari (for me) was the culprit. As soon as I quit Safari... the hand tool (via spacebar) came back just fine.
                                                                  I just now re-opened Safari and it's still working fine (at the moment — give it some time )

-M@tt

• 30. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                                    Pariah Burke ACP

This still happens with InDesign CC 2014.1, but note that, if you launch InDesign before Chrome, InDesign maintains control over the Spacebar. Quitting and restarting Chrome if already running also works.

• 31. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                                      MariaA310 Community Member

Thank you, ThinkMattClark! Safari was the problem for me too.

I am running:

OS 10.9.4

InDesign CS6

• 32. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                                        infin80.com Community Member

I've had this happen quite a bit for many months now. As we've learned, Chrome is usually the culprit and so I quit it first. With a lot of programs open my next guess was that it must be Safari then. Quit Safari. Nope. Then quit InDesign where the spacebar was working. NADA workeee.

OK lets quit Acrobat 'cause that app is a disaster anyway and should itself be considered Malware. Nope! Still no spacebar in AI or Photoshop! So i quit Illustrator, then Outlook then Font Xplorer and every program so it's just me and CC2014 2.2 Photoshop. Nope. NO SPACEBAR=NO ZOOMING, therefore I quit. Literally. Shuttin her down. Thanks for playing everyone.

BTW I'm running 10.10.3 on iMac 3.4GHz with plenty of RAM and the latest CC2014

• 33. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                                          Willi Adelberger MVP

infin80.com schrieb:

I've had this happen quite a bit for many months now. As we've learned, Chrome is usually the culprit and so I quit it first. With a lot of programs open my next guess was that it must be Safari then. Quit Safari. Nope. Then quit InDesign where the spacebar was working. NADA workeee.

OK lets quit Acrobat 'cause that app is a disaster anyway and should itself be considered Malware. Nope! Still no spacebar in AI or Photoshop! So i quit Illustrator, then Outlook then Font Xplorer and every program so it's just me and CC2014 2.2 Photoshop. Nope. NO SPACEBAR=NO ZOOMING, therefore I quit. Literally. Shuttin her down. Thanks for playing everyone.

BTW I'm running 10.10.3 on iMac 3.4GHz with plenty of RAM and the latest CC2014

Did you install InDesign via migration or via installer on Yosemite? Migration will not work.

• 34. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                                            infin80.com Community Member

Actually for me the issue was Photoshop that had had spacebar working and then *poof* gone. Indesign worked before and after but decided to quit it in order to get it working in Photoshop. And no, Indesign, like the other Adobe products, was installed together using Creative Cloud and purchasing the entire creative suite.

• 35. Re: Spacebar to toggle Hand Tool is not working (CS5)
                                                                              Willi Adelberger MVP

If this is the case, you should delete your preferences.