• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CS5 100% CPU when opened.

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2010 Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed the Adobe Master Suite on my work PC and the one program I need the most (Dreamweaver) hangs at 100% at all times after opening.  ALL other Adobe CS5 programs DON'T do this, and remain at a low 0-20% during idle. 

This just started happening about a a day ago, and before that was performing normally.  I have also just installed new memory (3gb) and figured it must due to faulty memory.  Yet I replaced my sticks with the old ones and still the problem continues, while all other programs work fine.

I'm assuming it's either some memory leak or virus or ... who the heck knows, but I tried re-installing the program again and booting into safe mode but both to no avail.  I also deleted the personal config file, but this also did nothing.  Also, this was not doing this before hand but only happened a day ago.  I literally have no idea what I could have done but I know for sure that my PC can run this program as I've already designed an entire site with this version. 

Are there any programs I can use to figure out the culprit or find out what is wrong with Dreamweaver.exe? 

Win 7 ultimate 32

AMD 3500+

3gb memory

1tb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 07, 2013 Apr 07, 2013

The 100% CPU issue has been fixed in Dreamweaver CS6 update 12.1 for creative cloud subscribers and 12.0.3 for non-subscribers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... been using CS5 Dreamweaver for a couple months, worked great... then recently it got really slow and became a resource hog.  Right now, it's taking about 35% of my 3.4GHz quad-core's CPU to switch between code and design views... and it takes 3 to 5 seconds.  I have 4 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM and no other apps open except Windows 7 resource monitor.  This is something new, because it wasn't happening two or three weeks ago.  I'm running ESET's NOD32 antivirus, but I have the same issues even when I tested without my antivirus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2010 Sep 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jep - same problem here.

(on Win 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit. - 4 GB RAM and SSD.)

It just happend after the html 5 update a few day ago.

Before that update dreamweaver worked fine !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  Up to date DW CS5. The CPU usage seems tied to the number of files open. Right now it is pegged at 50% (of my dual core) since I have 12 items open in code view only (no preview). As it close them, the CPU usage goes down until I have only a couple open and it is almost idle.

Clicking ANY menu in the system causes CPU to drop down to 0%.

When DW is at 50%, my entire system slows down. I have a Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, 6GB, Windows 7 64-bit. Problem has persisted across system reboots.

I would REALLY wish that Adobe get's off the butt on this one. This has been an outstanding problem for almost a year.

If adobe wishes to work with me directly, I would be more than happy to help!  They can contact me on my adobe email addr.

-Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... I just started using Dreamweaver a few months ago and it keeps spiking my CPU to 50%, even when I am not ever using it.  Adobe's tech support solution was to shut down the program.  So this has been a bug for the past year?  I thought Adobe was a reputable company, but not fixing a major bug like this for over a year, and their tech support solution to shut the program down is making me wonder.  Every time the CPU spike, the fan in my laptop speeds up, it's driving me nuts.

Windows 7 Pro 32bit

2.6GHz Dual Core Intel

2GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is strange that it has been such a long-term issue, while it seems to be reproducable. If I start DW and open my typical gamut of files, it pretty much always spikes and drags my entire machine down. Actually I make a habbit of shutting down DW before bed so that my machine doesn't act as  space-heater all night.

Do you happen to use coldfusion files / javacsript or all html/css?

-Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mainly html/css files.  Some perl and php but it seems to happen on all of them.  I can not beleive with our help they could not figure this out easily and get it fixed.  This might be my last Adobe purchase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Books.  Actually adobe did contact me for more information, and I am replying to one of their emails today, so at least they are trying to reproduce the error.  Do you also notice that as you open more files, the CPU usage goes up?  20%, 40%, then maxes at 50% (or 100% if you have only 1 core)?  Right now I have 10 files open (mix of XML, CFM, CFC) and my CPU is maxed around 50% which drags the entire system down, and yes, makes my fan go nuts.

You have Win7 32 bit, so my thought that it was a 64-bit issue goes out the window.  You find that once it his 50%, it stays there correct?

-Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Brian,

It does seem to get worst the more files I open. My CPU maxes out at around 50% (dual core) but normally only for a few seconds, 10 seconds max. That is the part that is really driving me nuts. It even does it when I have files open and I'm not even working with the program. I do not have any test servers set up which is something tech support said could cause the CPU to spike. I also have Adobe Fireworks, Photoshop and Acrobat installed. If we can figure out what is common between our 2 system, that might help them pinpoint the problem.

- Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also do not have any testing servers configured.    Question.  Have you been experiencing any file access issues on your Win7 box (in or outsite of DW)?  Ever have a hard time saving in DW (saying that it can not access the file)? Ever try to save an attachment and have it say that it could not be read from temp? How about doing something like a local SVN add or many files (hundreds) and having it continuously error out with permission issues, which go away by simply trying again?

I started out on this laptop with a 500GB drive, and now I run a 160GB solid state from Intel, and I have reinstalled since. My machine has been having strange random access issues and one thought might be that it could be tripping up DW with some cache building process if the OS has locked the file.

Also, my DW is set up for coder view, with a minimized panel on the left, and line numbers down the side of the code view.  My CPU spikes occur with in "code" view, so real-time preview is not an issue.

I have "Site Cache" disabled in my site preferences, but this issue happens across all of my sites.

I tried running DW as administrator, but I experience the same problems. It seems like my spikes seem to happen after 8 or more files are open (doesn't matter what type).

This is the second MSG that I sent to adobe:

---------------------

Well it seems to happen with any file type, not just CFMs.   Right now I  have open an XML, 4 CFCs and 6 CFMsI am seeing CPU sitting at 48%   (memory not changing, at 85MB private, 135MB working). It has been doing  this for a few minutes now.  I've left it going for 10 minutes.  I  closed the CFM files one at a time, and the CPU stayed at 40-50%.  But  as soon as I closed another specific CFM file, the CPU dropped right  down to 4% even with the other 6 files open.

I opened up another random CFM file and it spiked to 50% for a second  and back down, and I opened up a second CFM file and now it is back to  50% for a couple of minutes.  I closed the first CFM file and we're  still at 50%.  I waited a minute and it dropped down to 6% on its own.

I closed ALL files, opened up a new site, and opened 8 HTML files.  The  CPU is now at 50%.  I closed two more HTML files, and it dropped down to  4% again (with 6 HTML files open).

Just to make sure that the issue wasn't with any specific content, I  coped the SAME HTML file to multiple files: index.html, index - Copy  (2).html, etc, wit hteh following HTML:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title></title>

</head>
<body>
asdfsafd
</body>
</html>

I began opening these one by one. Again, these are the EXACT same HTML  content, and I started with no files open (DW at 0%).

Opened 1 - 0%

Opened 2 - 1% sustained

Opened 3 - 2% - 4% sustained

Opened 4 - 2% - 5% sustained

Opened 5 - 3% - 6% sustained

Opened 6 - 4% - 6% sustained

Opened 7 - 4% - 8% sustained

Opened 8 - 40% - 50% sustained

After about 1 minute, this dropped down to 5% - 9% sustained.

This then goes back up to 50% on it's own, then back down, then I just  leave it there, and in a minute, it goes back to 40-50%.

Closing a bunch of the HTML files down and leaving it at 4 files open  seems to resolve the processor spike again

-------------------------

-Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No to all your questions about file access issues. I have never experiences any file read, write, or save issues.

My DW is also set up in code view, a minimized panel on the left, and line numbers down the side. It always happens in code view. I also have Site Cache disabled.

- Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several different scenarios discussed in this thread. I have not been able to reproduce any of them.

For the scenario where "DW was normal for a while after installation, then the CPU suddenly started spiking", it sounds like a cache may be corrupted, an extension may be causing a problem, or even some combination of preferences.

Start by taking a look at this TechNote:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405604.html

Note: all of the following actions should be done with DW Shutdown!

Execute Step 4 to clear the FileCache.

If you still see the problem execute Step 12. This clears all caches, disables all extensions, and resets some preferences. If you have any extensions installed, enable them 1 at a time to try to isolate the problem.

If you still see the problem, perform Step 12 again, and also delete the Registry key which is here on Windows:

\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Dreamweaver [version]

Change preferences 1 at a time.

Hope this helps,

Randy Edmunds

Dreamweaver Development

Adobe Systems, Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 17, 2010 Dec 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above comment should clear the problem but I have to ask:

Everyone seems to be reporting problems on Core2 systems, many of which can just barely run Windows 7 out-of-the-box. Do you have at least 4GB of system RAM? I am predicting that less than 4GB will create problems, as Dreamweaver starts hitting your boot drive for virtual memory, which also taxes your CPU as it swaps in and out of virtual.

Win 7 and OS X 6+ are 64-bit systems and you ought not consider 2GB an appropriate amount of RAM any more. I am recommending a minimum of 4 GB and, on a system that you're using for serious production, 16GB—dedicating at least 3GB to 32-bit Dreamweaver and 4GB to 64-bit Photoshop. Remember, every application you run is going to take more away from the applications you're working in.

I typically have Dreamweaver, Photoshop and two browsers open when I am working, along with my email client and possibly a couple of other applications running. This is on a dual quad-core Mac Pro with 16GB of system RAM. And since I'm using CS3, everything is 32-bit and cannot see more than 4GB of RAM.

Re-reading this sounds like "blame the victim," and I don't want to come off like that in this forum, but Adobe (and everyone else) may be assuming that, for actual production work, we have dedicated a little more hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of making customers spend more money on upgrading their hardware, why not make software that is more efficient and not a big resource hog. You will never have customers complain about software being too fast and efficient.

Here is Dreamweaver CS5's system requirements:

Windows

• Intel Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor

• Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended); Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1; or Windows 7

• 512MB of RAM

• 1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash-based storage devices)

• 1280x800 display with 16-bit video card

• DVD-ROM drive

• Broadband Internet connection required for online services

So far Randy's suggestions seemed to have worked for me... thanks for your help Randy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are minimum requirements.

My commentary is meant to suggest that, if you are using Adobe's tools for actual production (like you don't particularly want to wait for a pokey computer), you should have more kit.

In order to use Dreamweaver, you don't actually have to have a web browser, but I don't know anyone who would suggest that is wise. In order to use Adobe's InDesign you don't have to actually own a printer, but it would be a good idea if you actually want to see your work on paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running 6GB over here. Monitoring the OS, with DW, Photoshop, Coldfusion, Quickbook, MySQL, Firefox, Thunderbird, Word, Excel, SQLYog, Outlook and chat programs running simultaniously, I've yet to consume the entire 6GB.  The only way I can eat it all up is if I start booting virtual OSs in VMware.

I wouldn't say that DW is particularly resource consumptive with DW only taking about 200MB-300MB of RAM on my system, and it should run OK on even a 2GB system on Win 7 64bit, though more RAM is obviously ideal.  I am not sure what you mean by Core2 barely running win7 out of the box. This machine runs a P9700 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, and typically screams with Windows 7. I've never had any install trouble with Core2 systems and Win 7.

I ran through Randy's recommended instructions at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405604.html

1. I deleted WinFileCache-530B2A19.dat with DW closed. I opened DW and opened 14 HTML files. Still the CPU Spikes to 50%, and drops off after about a minute or so but keeps spiking.

2. I did a recreate site cache and opened 16 HTML files, spikes for about a minute.

3. I went to disable the "Coldfusion" extention that comes with Adobe Coldfusion 9, but the CS5 extention manager lists no extentions for DW. Not sure what that means.

4. I didn't do a reinstall, but again this happened on my last OS install.

Question. Do you guys (who experience this problem) use snippets?  I have a bunh of them setup. Maybe that is another commonality.

-Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am using CS3 so I don't experience problems with CS5. I have too much in process right now to switch.

When I say a Core2 system is just barely able to run Win 7 I mean Core2 systems as typically sold with standard RAM, GPU and hard drive installed, not Core2 systems that have been upgraded, preparatory to a Win 7 installation. Everyone likes to talk about how cheap pee cees are and then moans and groans when the computer can't get out of its own way. Production systems need more than 2GB of RAM.

I do not use code snippets. But that ought not overtax the CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I deleted WinFileCache-530B2A19.dat with DW closed. I opened DW and

opened 14 HTML files. Still the CPU Spikes to 50%, and drops off after

about a minute or so ...

When opening 14 files, this does not sound to be out of the ordinary.

... but keeps spiking.

Do any of your pages have JavaScript or PHP? DW now has dynamic code hinting so all of that code is compiled in the background to be able to provide the necessary information. And they get recompiled during every edit. Just a thought.

Regards,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully, I think that most systems come with 4GB minimum these days, since RAM is so cheap. Ahh I remember buying an extra 8MB of ram for my 486 for some astronomical amount...

Randy, yes when I open files DW will spike momentarily, which is normal, but then immediately drop off. The problem that we are having is that it gets stuck at 50% CPU for minutes, sometimes indefinitally until you close out all but 6 or so files.

I was thinking that this might be javascript or Coldfusion related, so I created a bunch of blank index.html files with nothing in them except the boilerplate code, and then opened them until I had 8-12 open, and it still experienced the same problem.

If anyone wants to see this problem first-hand, I uploaded a video capture of me opening files, with windows task manager, here:

http://ww.splicedigital.com/misc/foradobe.zip

-Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry,

http://www.splicedigital.com/misc/foradobe.zip

-Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I began having this problem with Dreamweaver a couple of weeks ago. My software is CS5 Master Collection

My System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Dell Precision T5400 Workstation

Xeon CPU X5460 3.16GHz (4 Cores)

12GB Ram

NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 512MB

1.5TB 7200 RPM HDs

Dreamweaver would max out one core after opening at least two files. Didn't seem to matter whether the files were HTML, PHP, CSS, etc.

The problem for me appeared to be corupt prefferences. I followed these steps and eliminated the problem entirely:

Restore preferences | Dreamweaver CS4, CS5 - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83912.html

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so this is not a permanant solution. a few weeks after following the instructions listed here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83912.html, the problem returned. Surely the Dreamweaver team does not expect us to go through these steps every few weeks?

I use DW, like most others I imagine, in a production environment. I can't have it max out a CPU core just sitting there. Please tell me someone at Adobe is aware of and working to resolve this BUG!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i kinda have the same problem only after the update any GIANT changes to dreamweaver without updating the "design" view regularly the whole freaking program freezes up -.-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2010 Dec 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just confirmed that I have turned this feature off (unchecked 'Enable related files'), and my CS5 still maxes out one core just sitting there with about 6 files open on my Core 2 Duo with 6GB. Restarted since. Same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines