• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I use a Robohelp 8 project in a C# 2008 application?

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have developed a simple Robohelp 8 Project with a few topics and a small Table of Contents and glossary.

My Robohelp program is a trial version.

How do I include it in a Microsoft Visual C# 2008 file?  I would like to click a button named "Help" that will launch the help file I created with Robohelp.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2010 Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You build the call of the help in the application. RoboHelp provides you with standard API's you can use to call the help. Look in %RH Installation folder%CSH API\CS.NET

If you are using WebHelp, be sure to check out: http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/calling_webhelp.htm

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2010 Dec 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my co-workers used Robohelp5 and, after the .chm file was generated, was able to use code in C# to open the .chm file. I understand that code and I am confident that if I had a .chm file I could launch help in a C# application.

Does Robohelp 8 create .chm files? I was only able to find an .htm file after Generate Primary Layout button was clicked. If Robohelp8 does not use .chm files, how do I open a .htm file with C# code? Or can Robohelp8 convert a .htm file to a .chm file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Indeed RoboHelp 8 is capable of producing files in .CHM format. If you click View > Pods > Single Source Layouts you will see the pod where most of the layout types are produced.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add, CHM files are produced by the Microsoft HTML Help SSL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2010 Dec 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was successull in creating a .chm file.  I used this file in my C# code and was able to launch help from that C# file!

When I viewed the .chm file, I noticed that the Glossary was not included. How do I get the Glossary to appear in the .chm file? I was able to see the Glossary in the .htm file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You need to install the HHActiveX.dll on every computer you use the CHM. See http://forums.adobe.com/message/71827#71827 for more details.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Willam, didn't see you sneak in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have the HHActiveX.dll. I will need to download the dll. What would be a safe/approved web site to download the .dll from? After I get the .dll, I assume that I will have to copy it into the directory that holds the .chm file and the C# executable.  Also, I assume that I will have to manually register the .dll using the regsrv32 command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

If you are using RoboHelp you should have the DLL because it's a proprietary DLL supplied by Adobe.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

For CHM output there are a couple of things that need to happen. You need to edit the CHM Window definition and ensure you have enabled the Glossary.

Click View > Pods > Project Set up and expand the Windows folder. There you will see any defined windows. Hopefully you see a CHM window there.

tmp1.PNG

If you don't see a CHM window, you will need to right-click and create one.

When you edit the window properties you have an option that governs whether the Glossary tab is shown.

tmp2.png

Once you have all that set, you are nearly ready for action. You need to compile the new CHM. But even *THEN* you may still have issues.

When your viewers view the CHM they may see the Glossary tab but may be blank. This is because the functionality of the Glossary is contained wthin another file named HHActiveX.dll. Anyone using your CHM will need this file to be present and registered with Windows. Your installation application should be able to handle properly registering the file. There is more in the help system for this.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to Project Setup. I opened the Windows tree, and no CHM windows were there.  I right-clicked and the only window that appeared was of the "WebHelp" variety.  How can I create a CHM window there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

The window you get is dependent upon the Primary Layout. The Primary Layout needs to be Microsoft HTML Help in order to create a CHM window.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your instructions and I was able to get Glossary to appear in the CHM file when I viewed it within Robohelp8.  However, the contents of Glossary are blank when I open Help from my C# application.

Would you please give me instructions on how I can get the Glossary populated? I did a search on my machine, a Windows 7 laptop, and the HHActiveX.DLL did not appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I too am using Windows 7 and I find that one of my peeves with it is that it often fails to easily search everywhere I like.

I just looked and the file is among the others in the RoboHelp installation folder. The actual folder will vary depending on whether you installed RoboHelp all by itself or if you installed it as part of the Tech Comms Suite.

Whichever way it was installed you should find a Redist folder inside. And the HHActiveX.dll is inside that folder as well as the RoboHTML folder.

Hopefully that will be enough to guide you to the location where you may obtain the file.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a redist folder inside the Adobe Robohelp8 estk folder.   When I opened the redist folder, there was no DLL and there was no RoboHTML folder there either. Is it possible that the DLL is hidden somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the HHActiveX.dll!  I was looking in the wrong place.  What are  the next steps?  Do I need to register it with the regsvr32 command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how you normally register a .dll, isn't it? Normally, you'd deliver this dll with your program and install it along with the dll's of the program.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's a 64 bit machine, you'll need to use the 32 bit edition of regsvr32.exe found in the counter-intuitively named \syswow64\ folder as the dll shipped with RH is a 32 bit dll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good info, Jeff!

Hey, do you you know how to launch the 32 bit version of the CHM viewer? Seems I always manage to launch the 64 bit version and when that happens, I see no flash items as there isn't yet a 64 bit version of the Flash player. But if I view the CHM from RoboHelp, the Flash bits work just dandy. So I'm guessing they are launching the 32 bit version of the help viewer.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no clue - I don't actually use CHMs, just WebHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2010 Dec 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 64-bit Windows 7 laptop.

I entered the following commands:

cd \windows\syswow64

regsvr32 C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\Redist\HHActiveX.dll

The result was an error message: "...failed to load...module could not be found"

I created a folder named "HHActiveX_location" on the C: drive and copied HHActiveX.dll to there.

I entered the follwoing commands:

cd \windows\syswow64

regsvr32 C:\HHActiveX_location\HHActiveX.dll

The result was an error message: "The module was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005"

What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

From the way you wrote this it sounds as if you did this from a command prompt.

Perhaps consider trying it this way.

If you have a keyboard with a Windows logo key, press and hold the Windows logo key, then press R and release the keys. The result should be a Run dialog.

From the Run dialog, just type

Then click OK.

My thought is that this will allow Windows to sort what it needs in order to register the file.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your instructions: Windows key+ R, and enter:

I got an error message:

error.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

One more try but with the following twist.

Try surrounding the string with quotes like this:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\Redist\HHActiveX.dll"

I find that often, spaces cause issues. No guarantees of course. Admittedly stabbing in the dark.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp