• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I update PDF properties fields since installing Reader 9.x.x?

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using software995.com products (free software) for several years to create (PDF995), edit (PDFEdit), and sign (Signature995) PDFs. PDF995 installs as a GPL GhostScript writer (printer driver) on virtually any software application.

Once I created a PDF using PDF995, I could launch Windows Explorer and navigate to the file location, right-click on the PDF file name, click on properties in the pop-up menu, and click on the PDF tab in the document properties dialogue. I could key in the editable fields called Title, Subject, Author, Keywords ,and Comments.

I had the ability to edit these document properties fields until I installed Adobe Reader 9.x.x and for certain noticed this diminshed functionality when using Adobe Reader 9.1.3. After installing Adobe Reader 9.x.x, the documents properties fields for hundreds of my PDFs no longer exist. I can use PDFEdit to repopulate the properties fields for Title, Author, and Keywords, however, it doesn't support the Subject and Comments fields (I don't know why). Besides, as you can imagine, this would take an incredibly long time to rekey the document properties for hundreds of PDFs.

I would like to know why has Adobe prevented the editing of the document properties fields in PDFs created with Adobe Acrobat or any other application capable of creating PDFs, e.g., PDF995, OpenOffice, etc.?

I would like to know if this functionality was purposely removed or is this a defect?

I would like to know if Adobe has a method (work-around) that will display these properties fields in existing PDFs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were filling in and saving the property fields before, you were using one of the other PDF applications that you mentioned.

Adobe Reader has never had the ability to modify these properties. In fact, unless it is a fillable form or a specially enabled PDF (enabled using Acrobat), you can't make or save ANY changes to a PDF.

So it wasn't removed and it's not a flaw. It's that way by design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graffiti,

I noted what you said in forum post http://forums.adobe.com/thread/480119?tstart=0. As a result, I printed this question I posted in the Adobe Reader Forum, using PDF995 and I added document properties fields using PDFEdit. Then I opened the PDF in Adobe Reader by right-clicking on the PDF file name, selecting properties from the pop-up window, and selecting the PDF tab. See the following screenshot. Until I updated Adobe Reader to 9.x.x, I was able to update the properties fields of PDFs created with PDF995 without using PDFEdit by editing properties fields directly in the PDF created with PDF995. I have been working with software995.com support on this very issue. Matter of fact software995.com support also said "The Adobe Reader has never permitted updating of  docinfo fields with pdfs created with pdf995." I don't know what to say to that, you both are in agreement, however, until this recent update or updates of PDF995, PDFEdit, or Singature995, I had been updating the PDF document properties fields  for months, if not years. I diligently create PDFs on a weekly basis and update the properties fields directly in the PDF file. Since the update (not sure which) I lost all of the properties field data in hundreds of PDFs.

I guess I'm tough out of luck.

PDF995-Document-Properties-Fields.jpg

Thanks,

jcubed08

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what is giving you the "PDF" tab but it isn't a function of Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graffiti,

Just so you don't think I'm nuts, because I was wondering myself.

I have been working with Software995.com Technical Support on this issue. By the way, their tehnical support and customer service are excellent. They have been very responsive, even though I use their free versions of their products. The technician I have been working with tells me that their products do not provide the functionality I have explained on this forum and to their Technical Support.

Many of the PDFs I have stored on my laptop are also on stored my desktop, so I checked to see if the functionality I have been explaining still exists on my desktop; it does. Both machines have XP SP3 Home, Adobe Reader 9.1.3 installed, and PDF995, PDFEdit, and Signature995 installed. I have used several free to try or freeware print to PDF software, e.g., Primo PDF, Cute PDF, etc., and all are uninstalled except the Software995.com software.

I can update the PDFs on my desktop machine in Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the file name, clicking on properties in the pop-up menu, and navigating to the summary tab. This little procedure is exactly what I do in my Microsoft Office Documents. See the screenshots of the document properties and tabs. Note the PDF tab and the application used, PScript5.dll Version 5.2. If it were PDF995 it would say PDF995 or if it were Primo PDF it would say Primo PDF. Note the Summary (simple and detail) tab where I can update the document properties fields (just like Office Products.

I don't know what has changed on my laptop, but I have to find out what application uses the dynamic link liberary PScript5.dll, so I can regain this "free" functionality. I would love to have Adobe Acrobate, but I don't have that kind of change to spare. If you have any clues, please let me know.

EDD-UI-Claim16-Complaint01-Reply01-General-Tab.jpgEDD-UI-Claim16-Complaint01-Reply01-PDF-Tab.jpg

EDD-UI-Claim16-Complaint01-Reply01-Summary-Tab-Simple.jpgEDD-UI-Claim16-Complaint01-Reply01-Summary-Tab-Advanced.jpg

Thanks

jcubed08

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2009 Aug 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those properties are supplied by the Windows OS and not Reader.

To view Reader properties (you can only view them), open the file then go to file>properties. The information you entered in the window you are looking at will not be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I install Adobe Reader 9.1.3 I can't SAVE PDF files.  And I can't use another software because most financial and credit card institutions have a direct link to Adobe Reader, so that you can save your monthly statements.  This has cause a major problem because I can't save my statements and use these statements at income time and verify account balances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue after I updated to Reader X.

I isolated it down to one file. In the common files directory under adobe/reader there is a pdf???.dll file that is a property sheet dll file(don't recall the exact name but it is easy to see, only 4 files). I replaced it with the old version 9.3.3 file and it came back. You have to change the attrubutes as administrator to get access to the files to replace it. I was really disappointed when this was changed because I found it very handy. Funny thing is the minute I replaced the file it started reading the file as version 10. When I move it back out, it reads it as version 9.3.3 again. Very strange! You are going to have to find someone with that file. I don't think there was to many versions of reader that allowed the pdf tab edit. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hobojoemb14 wrote:

I don't think there was to many versions of reader that allowed the pdf tab edit.

Again, no version of Reader let you edit the file properties. Even if you did, you cannot save the changes but still, it was something else allowing this and not Reader.

To be sure we are on the same page, when I mean file properties I mean the ones found in Reader after you open the file in question and go to Edit>Properties (or File>Properties on a Mac). Anywhere else is not a function of Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is c:/Program files/common files/adobe/acrobat/activex/pdfshell.dll. This was updated when I installed the new adobe reader X to version 10. When I replaced the file from the old version 9.3, the function returned and yes it does change the properties. I can now change them by right clicking the file and selecting the pdf tab. Normally it was read only. I do have acrobat 8 as well and that is it as far as pdf editors/readers. I went through the entire registry to find the pdf property sheet file that was installed with "Reader" to find the file and the change worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. That's an Acrobat file. Not sure why Reader would have installed it at all. The folder wouldn't even exist unless you had Acrobat so I definitely can't see how or why Reader would install it.

And of course, with Acrobat you can change file properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked my son's computer and he only has Reader and it has the

files as well. Reader installed the directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright. Don't know what to tell you then.

Couldn't find it on the system I looked on with only Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2010 Dec 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My son's machine is brand new and only has reader installed. The directory

and the files are there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines