Exit

Recording Application Region not available for additional slides

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Using Captivate 5, Windows 7.

I'm having problems using the feature "Record application region". It is fully functional if I record a new project but if I want to record additional slides or use a project template I don't even have the possibility to choose application region. That part of the screen is not present.

This is how is looks when I create a new project.

screen1.png

And this is how it looks when I try to record additional slides.

screen2.png

My question is; how did Adobe think new slides should be created in these kinds of projects? Because, if I could have placed the recording area correctly myself to begin with - why use this function? Feel free to place the recording area exactly at the same pixel 2,3 or 4 times in the same project 🙂

Hopefully I am missing something in version 5...

Stefan

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You aren't missing anything. This is the way it works. For what it's worth, it's also the way it worked in version 4 (I just looked to be sure).

What I might suggest is creating a new project so you get the option. Then after you record, copy the slides from the new recording and paste into the project you want.

And if you feel it should really be a selectable option, please consider submitting a Wish Form to alert the development team. Link is in my sig.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

yes thats what I did. Copy background... since I already had audio etc etc. Since the function has been implemented its really only for the development team to "unhide" these features when additional slides are being recorded. We will be adding some wishes for CP 5. My collegue tried cropping a project earlier today... 🙂 Cropping from a heigth of 768 to 765 led CP to believe the project was getting larger.

Regards

Stefan

BSIP eLearning

Sweden

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, do apply the patch that was released a couple of days ago. Here you can find the link and information:

Patch for Captivate 5

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2010 Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW - I suffer from the same issue and applying the patch makes no difference.

atb/mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2010 Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but "File, Record New Project" works fine. I work with the original project open when I start the new recording. Then I just copy and paste. It works but it's not something Adobe should be proud of...

/Stefan

BSIP eLEarning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2010 Dec 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

I can understand your frustation.

I believe the logic behind Captivate's behavior is that:

All slides inside a Captivate project have to be of same dimensions. Suppose you chose 640x400 during "record new project" and Captivate did allow you to choose an application region during "additonal recording" which was (say) 120x300, then it would not be quite clear as to how to make this content fit with rest of the project. Automatic rescaling might (most definitely will) bring in lots of visual artifacts (stretched/compressed images). Without rescaling the content might be acceptable for some and may be not for others in the context of the contents in rest of the project slides.

May be you should go ahead and log an enhancement bug describing what would be the most desirable automatic action that you would wish Captivate did when it captures contents of different dimensions.

Cheers

Siva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also vote for that particular enhancement in Captivate 6 here:

http://captivate6ideas.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Allow-Application-Region-Recording-in-Existing-Projects/9...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources