39 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2010 1:16 PM by Darren Hall RSS

New System

Darren Hall Community Member

Hi

I am busy building a new system and have the following in mind please help me on my way.

Antec P190 with neolink 1200watt

Asus P6X58D-E

6 x 4 GB Corsair GT DDR-2000

I7 980X

2 x WD 600GB Veloci Raptor (Raid 0 for OS)

4x 1 TB Seagate Raid 0 for storage will get raid card later

GTX 480.

what will I be able to over clock to and what is the best cooling for CPU?

Is this ram good?

any other ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: New System
          wb_martin Community Member

1.2 TB (2 x 600 GB, RAID 0) is a large OS drive, although if you are using it for scratch files too, maybe not.

You might review Harm's discussion on "To RAID or Not to RAID"

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/525263

and learn more about RAID types/configurations, particularly for your planned 4 x 1TB storage array.  I would consider RAID 3, 5 or 6.

I use a Corsair H70 CPU cooler and am happy with it.

There's a lot of discussion about whether costly high speed memory is really necessary/valuable, particularly with 24 GB memory on your mobo.  You may look for more expert advice on that issue.  Be sure to check the QVL for the mobo to check memory compatibility.

Presumably you're planning on Win7-64 bit as the OS.

Good luck!

• 2. Re: New System
            Harm Millaard Community Member

1. 4.4 GHZ should be reasonably easy. CoolerMaster Hyper 212, Noctua NH-D14, Prolimatech Megahalem, etc.

2. Yes.

3. Get a raid controller ASAP. Otherwise you will run into difficulties in getting your data across to a new array, which will be a major obstacle. A 4 disk raid0 entails quite some risks. I would rather go for a single 150+ GB OS/programs disk and a 5 or 6 disk raid5, although your performance will suffer, since ICHR controllers are pretty lousy with parity raids.

• 3. Re: New System

I was thinking it would give very good performance becuase of the Raid 0 and that the drives are SATA 3 6G interface, I will raid 0 the 4 drives for storage. I can get Seagate 2TB 64mp cache SATA 3 6gps drives for half the price would this be a option for OS.

• 4. Re: New System

Thanks Harm,

dont you think a SATA3 6gps is better ? the 600 raptor is a SATA3 and the 150 is only SATA 2.

thanks

Darren

• 5. Re: New System

There is no way that a single disk will be limited by a SATA2 connector. SATA3 is mostly hype and all about theoretical bandwidth, but in practice it shows no benefits in throughput. The one advantage of some SATA3 drives is the larger cache, 64 MB versus 32 MB, but that is all. Even with large arrays there is no difference in performance between SATA2 and SATA3, because the PCI-e bus is the limiting factor.

It is about the same with USB2 and USB3. Theoretically USB3 is way faster, but in practice USB3 disks are only 2-3 times faster than USB2, because of the congestion on the USB bus and the sharing of resources, at least from the reports I have read.

• 6. Re: New System

OK great, save me some bucks one disk it is.

thanks

Harm

• 7. Re: New System

Hi Harm,

some more advice please. I can get a Intel Big Laurel RS2BL080 8 channel 6G SAS Raid 512MB at a decent price is this ok as I cant find the one you use in South Africa. What HDD do you recomend to use for the raid setup size and make.

thanks again

Darren

• 8. Re: New System
                        Scott Chichelli Community Member

i would recommend that card over the areca purely for price/performance.

i honestly see no point to the Areca cards over that one

Scott

ADK

• 9. Re: New System

Scott,

I agree with you for out of the box controllers, but you disregard the capabilities of the Areca to:

1. Increase cache memory to 4 Gb, which the Intel can't and this makes a significant difference,

2. The ability to add a BBM (battery backup module) to the Areca, and

3. The support of Raid3/30 which the Intel does not have.

• 10. Re: New System

Harm

thanks, I have just checked the wholesalers pricelist and they do have a "smart battery" for the card.  what hard drives do you recommend and what size.

thanks

Darren

• 11. Re: New System

I would suggest the WD RE4 (bit costly) or the Samsung F3, both in 1 TB sizes. Another option is the Seagate 7200.12.

• 12. Re: New System

thanks Harm

• 13. Re: New System
                                  ECBowen MVP

" 2. The ability to add a BBM (battery backup module) to the Areca"

The Intel card does have the BBM connector as well.

Eric

ADK

• 14. Re: New System

Thanks

Harm, WB Martin, Scott and Eric,

i wanted to purchase one on thursday and now they don't have stock. I start my new build today as I have all the other parts. only the HDD and raid card are missing.

this is what I have got,

Antec P190 with neolink

Asus P6X58D-E

6 x 4 gig Corsair dominator gt ram ddr3 2000

1 x WD 600 gig Velociraptor (no stock of the 150)

Gigabyte 480 GTX

Corsair H70 water cooler

1  x seagate 1 Tb (had this laying around will use just to get system going)

1 x LG Blu-ray

will get the intal raid card and drives in the next week or two. I can only get seagate 1 Tb 7200.12no stock of samsung and WD

thanks and I will give feed back once machine is completed

Darren

• 15. Re: New System

Hi

I have put the machine together and it is great so far. Can any body give me the settings for the asus mobo and 980x to overclock and how to do it.

thanks

Darren

• 16. Re: New System

Check out these links:

a general guide for overclocking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cu0I2ITDQg&feature=related

and board-specific information here:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6X58D-E&SLanguage=en-us

I would suggest routine consult of the latter link.....good luck!

• 18. Re: New System

thanks wb-martin, it looks too new for me but I will keep on trying.

thanks

Darren

• 19. Re: New System

Hi,

the machine is up and running,

this is the final spec:

Antec P190 with neo link 1200w

Asus P6X58D-E

24 gig Corsair Dominator GT Ram 2000

Gigabyte GTX 480

600 gig WD Velciraptor for OS Win 7 64 bit ultimate

1 TB seagate for Music and Digtal juice and so on

Intel RS2BL080 Raid Controller

8 x Samsung F3 (well 4 should get the other on Monday)

LG Blu-Ray

few extra Fans

4 drives are in a Coolermaster 3 to 4 cage with fan.

any suggestions on the raid setup would be appreciated.

Darren

• 20. Re: New System

Darren,

I suggest either an 8-disk raid5 or raid6 or a 7-disk raid5 with one hot-spare.

• 21. Re: New System

thanks Harm

• 22. Re: New System
                                                  Jay Knobbe Community Member

wb martin...

how do you like the h70 cooler?

I looked at the h50 and h70. Some reviews said the h50 wasn't much improvment over stock and the h70 had lots of fan noise, etc.

What has your experience been?

• 23. Re: New System

Hi Jay,

So far, I like the H70 cooler.  When I have monitored/checked temperatures, the CPU olds at 26 deg. C., and is pretty stable at that temperature, but I am not overclocking yet which is sure to put a thermal load on the processor and the ASUS Rampage III Formula mobo with 24GB onboard in general. 

I built the system in the CoolerMaster HAF-X case, and I added an extra 120mm fan to the top of the case for improved airflow.   I am only using one graphics adapter - the superclocked eVGA GeForce 470 and I haven't optimized the system fan speeds yet, so I haven't optimized system noise yet - that's all forthcoming.

Overall, I am happy with the H70.  It has a small footprint in size - I haven't had problems with space issues inside the HAF-X as some people have reported.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Bill

• 24. Re: New System

I have the Corsair H70, the problem I had was the side fan on the Antec 190 would not fit so I mounted it on the outside. my temps are not so low but our ambient temps in South Africa are alot higher today we went to 36 celcius.

Darren

• 25. Re: New System

Hi Darren,

That's a little bit toasty, but it is your summer in the southern hemisphere, right?  I suspect the best you can hope for with fan-assisted liquid cooling radiators is ambient temp, right?  36 should be OK though.

The side fan on the HAF-X is located lower on the case - over the graphics card region of the mobo, so I don't have the problem of it obstructing the CPU cooler; however, I was REALLY reluctant to stay with the tall CPU cooler assembly that shipped with the i7-980X - it just seemed too monstrous!  I do worry about my ICH and IOH temps though - they run about 46 and 48 deg. C, respectively; however, I don't know what they're supposed to run at. 

Bill

• 26. Re: New System

Hi Bill,

Yes summer it is and what a summer it is hot as hell and then it rains like hell. some days my xeon machine battles to work it gets so hot. I will start to overclock next week and try and find a good working point.

regards

Darren

• 27. Re: New System

Hi Harm,

can you help me with the following:

I have 8 1tb Samsung F3 with a Intel RS2BL080 raid card with 512mb cache

I am going with the following Raid 5 = 6.36gb (I think this leaves one drive spare)

what would be the best settings for the following?

Strip size: 8kb 16kb 32 kb 64kb 128kb 256kb 512 or 1mb

Acecess Policy: RW, Read only or blocked

Write Policy:Write through, always write back or write back with BBU

IO Policy: Direct or cached

Drive Cache: No change, Enable or disable

Disable BGI: No or Yes

I can select size for disc (R5 = 6.36TB R6 = 5.451TB R0 = 7.268 R1 = 3.634)

thanks in advance

Darren

• 28. Re: New System
                                                              ECBowen MVP

Stripe size leave default for raid selected.

Select Raid 5 or Raid 6. Raid 6 is one more level of parity over raid 5 which means you can have 2 drives fail and your raid is held together by the parity. If the 3rd drive fails then the raid is gone. This also takes the equivalent of another drive from the raid volume size so you will sacrifice more space.

Access Policy - RW

Write Policy - Always Write Back

I/O - Cached

Drive Cache - Enabled

Leave BGI

Eric

ADK

• 29. Re: New System

thanks Eric

• 30. Re: New System

Hi Eric,

these are the settings I used:

Strip Size 256KB

Read pol No read ahead

write pol always write back

IO pol cached IO

Access RW

Disc Cache enabled

test: long bench 32mb, it looks a little erattic to me

thanks Darrenintel RS2Bl080 raid Controller.jpg

• 31. Re: New System
                                                                    ECBowen MVP

Read ahead should be set to adaptive. That will help some with the fluctuations

The reasons you see the dips and so forth have to do with how Sata drives drop in performance once the capacity exceeds 50%. At 60% the lost performance becomes very significant and at 75 % the performance drops like a rock. The Higher End raid controllers like the Intel and Areca cards attempt to minimize this with cached instructions i/e why Harm always pushes people to get the extra cache on their controllers. The other side to the fluctuations is the parity. In a raid 0 you won't see near the fluctuations. It will normally look relatively flat over the array. A parity raid however fluctuates more due to the extra overhead for the parity.Now the controllers on the drives will also effect the fluctuations so an array of 1 model drive may fluctuate differently than another model array. Your readout looks normal and the low spots are likely the end of drives where the speed is normally slowest on SATA drives. This is why SCSI drives were so predominant back several years ago. They did not have the same performance drops that SATA drives do as the volume capacity is filled. SSD Drives have taken that spot in today's market.

Eric

ADK

• 32. Re: New System

thanks Eric,

I did the ppbm5 benchmark last night and it if I am reading the results correctly my new machine with 8 drives with raid contoller is slower than my old machine that had 4 drives raid 0 using the onboard intel raid controller. +- 150 sec slower on the disc test. i am going to test some more before I post the results,

thanks for the help and I will keep you posted

regards

Darren

• 33. Re: New System
                                                                        ECBowen MVP

Without knowing the configuration of the old machine and the new machine, I couldn't point to anything.

Eric

ADK

• 34. Re: New System

Hi Eric

thanks, I will send you the results when I have tested some more. On the ppbm5 results page my old machine was called Axco Productions.

Dual Quad Core intel xeon 2.33

16 gig 677 ecc ram

Intle S5000XVN Mobo

1 x 1 tb seagate OS Win 7 64

1 x 1 tb cache files music digital juice

4 x 1 tb seagates raid0 (internal raid) project files

Darren

• 35. Re: New System
                                                                            ECBowen MVP

Ya something is not setup right on the new system. There is no way the old Xeon system should bench better than the new one.

Eric

ADK

• 36. Re: New System

Darren,

With 8 x F3's in Raid5 on the Intel controller your AVI test would likely be around 75 - 90 seconds if things are properly setup. Have you tried HDTach or Atto to see what your transfer rates are?

• 37. Re: New System

Hi Harm,

yes I did. I just set the raid to raid 0 and got 802mb and raid 5 was +- 640

Darren

• 38. Re: New System
                                                                                  ECBowen MVP

The AVI test with 8 WD drives in raid 5 was in the 60's in testing here and that was with 5.0.1. It was the same as 2 raid 0 arrays on that raid controller.

Eric

ADK

• 39. Re: New System

Hi All,

I have just had Eric from ADK  help me with my machine "online' and we found the problem "MATROX MINI MAX"  the speed of the disck test was increased from 516 sec to180 sec and no waiting for media encoder to change settings. I would like to thank Eric for the fantastic help and everybody who commented.

the machine will go for tweaking and I will then benchmark and post results. I am sure it will be top 10.

thank you all

Darren