Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade to RH 8.0.2.208 on Win7 64bit not possible

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2010 Dec 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

I got a new PC at the office which runs on Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I installed RH8 (or rather the Technical Communication Suite 2) and tried to open one of my existing projects. It did no open; instead I got a message that said "The project cannot be opened because it was last edited in a newer version..." and that I should update to that newer version (my message was in German, so the translation might not be accurate). So, I did update (menu "Help / Updates"), installed 2 updates and am on my new computer now on Version 8.0.0.203. Then I tried to open the existing project again ... and was shown the same error message again! So, I compared the version with the one on my old PC (which I can still access by Remote Desktop Connection), and there the RH version was 8.0.2.208 (on a Windows Vista Business 32bit machine)!! So, I restarted my new PC in the hope that this would do some good, but it did not; I just cannot update to that higher version on my new PC. After browsing this forum I found a thread which suggested to try to open the sample projects in the TCS folder, which I did, and that worked; I could open both those sample projects and also generate them. After that, I tried to open one of my existing projects, and ... it opened!! I checked the RH version, and it still shows 8.0.0.203, and when I try to upgrade, I get the message that there are no upgrades available.

I find this a little bit strange; could this be connected with the fact that I'm now working on a 64bit operating system? I made some changes in the existing project and generated it, and this worked perfectly well ... and I hope it stays that way.

So, if anybody has a suggestion regarding the upgrade, it's much appreciated.

Wish you all a wonderful Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

Regards from Switzerland

Kurt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen something similar and it is not related to 64 bit. Somehow the version in Help > About gets out of phase with what is in Programs and Features.

If you go there, you will see you do have 8.0.2 installed. What you should do is uninstall that making sure RoboHelp is closed first. Refresh Programs and Features and you will see 8.0.1. Uninstall that too.

Now open RoboHelp and apply the two patches again. Hopefully you will find Help > About is now in sync.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks a lot for your quick reply.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you mean that I uninstall RoboHelp completely, then install it again (or what do you mean by 'Refresh'?) and I should have 8.01, uninstall that again, install it once more and then I should have 8.02.??

This sounds like a lot of work only to get the correct version number ... and, if this is really the way, I think I would skip it as long as I don't experience any problems (like crashes).

So, please let me know if I'm mistaken or not.

Regards,

Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Uninstalling what you see as 802 only uninstalls that patch. If you then press F5, you will see 801 showing. Uninstalling that only uninstalls that patch. If you pressed F5 again, you would see 800 but you don't need to uninstall that, just reapply the patches.

You can of course leave it alone but I don't know if there will be any side effects. I guess you'll find out.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp