• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat X incompatible with Office 2010 x64! Along with other Problems I found!

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2010 Nov 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM VERY ANGRY AS WELL AS LOSING IT BIG TIME!!! MADDNESS!!!!

Can someone FROM ADOBE FIX THESE PROBLEMS? CAN AN UPDATE OR FIX SOLVE OUR SITUATION WITH ACROBAT X?

First off, I cannot see the plugin appear in the Office ribbon, in ANY office program. I tried everything Adobe told me to do. From trying to locate the adding through the list of disabled add-ins (which is not displayed), or the command prompts option which did not work either.

Second of all, I have this message of "Missing PDFMaker files", then after reinstalling Adobe 10 times, as well as reinstalling office 2010 x64 Bit 26 times, reformatting Windows "7" Ultimate x64 Bit 5 times, I still had no results.

Third, yet not least, the other problem is that the option to create blank PDFs no longer exists. In addition, I am unable to edit existing PDFs, even if they do not have security on them. I want a word processing feature added to Acrobat!

Can someone fix ANY of these problems, or may Adobe create an update to FIX ALL of these problems, OR AM I GOING TO DROP ACROBAT IN FAVOUR OF ANOTHER COMPANY?

I NEED HELP SOON!!!! NO TIME TO DO THIS ON MY OWN!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: Uchiha971

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Good day everyone,

With the release of Acrobat 10.1 on June 14th, we released a 64-bit version of PDFMaker.  Please refer to 'What's new (Acrobat 10.1)' and the updated CPSID_88296 for more information.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

David

Acrobat Community Manager

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that AAX is not presently compatible with X64. I suspect that will change with a future update, but not now as I understand it. You will have to run it in a 32-bit mode (not that I know what I am talking about -- I only have a 32-bit system).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From: http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfdevjunkie/2010/10/what-developers-need-to-know-about-acrobat-x.html

Support for 64 bit systems:

Adobe Acrobat X and Reader X are supported on 64 bit systems even though they remain 32 bit applications – so plug-ins will need to be 32 bit as well. However, there are some issues around browser support. If your plug-in is Windows only, you’re pretty much good to go. No changes are necessary for 3rd party plug-ins to work in the supported browsers on Windows. On the Mac, the browser plug-in is Universal (both 32 and 64bits) and your plug-ins will continue to load when in standalone mode and in a 32 bit browser but not in a 64 bit browser. The supported browsers on Windows are IE 7.0, IE 8.0, Firefox 3.5, Firefox 3.6. On the Mac, they are Safari 4 for OS X 10.5.8 and OS X 10.6.4; Safari 5 for OS X 10.6.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another 2 cents.

Time for 4 x 4 breathing (or a cold beer <g>).
Acrobat X is good to go in 64-bit Windows 7. But, it is still a native 32-bit app.
You need 32-bit Office 2010; not 64-bit.

Acrobat X and 64-bit Office 2010 —
** Office 2010 64 bit for PDFMaker is not a supported configuration but customers can create Adobe PDF using Adobe PDF Printer.
See: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/333/333504.html

Also good to read are the Acrobat X Pro FAQs at:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/faq.html

Good to know - Microsoft recommends 32-bit Office 2010 even on 64-bit Windows.
Why? There just are not (at this time) much in the way of 64-bit add-ins for Office (e.g., Adobe PDFMaker).
See Ted Way's post at: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/office2010/thread/40d17c38-90e0-48d9-8f83-d9721a24b063
As the lazy river carries our tube floats along I'm sure this will change.
But, just now, today we need to use the 32-bit Office 2010 if we want the full "juice" of Acrobat X in association with Office 2010 applications.

Create blank PDF —
Well -- actually this is a feature of Acrobat X.
Please see this Forum's thread (and Dave Merchant's post addressing the question).
"Is there a 'Create PDF from Blank' option in Acrobat X Pro?"
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/757777?tstart=0

Word Processor features —
Ahhh -- ya don't want to be putting Dexron down the oil standpipe.
Seriously though, the PDF format (as described in the PDF References and now, ISO 32000-1) describe what PDF *is* .
From these it becomes evident why PDF format and word processor formats are rather different creatures.
The PDF "Document Management – Portable Document Format – Part 1: PDF 1.7, First Edition"
(An ISO approved copy of the ISO 32000-1 Standards document) would be what to read if interested.
Scroll to page bottom at:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

Please refer to the following Adobe knowledgebase article for a summary of this issue:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/882/cpsid_88296.html

Thank you,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am absolutely appalled that Adobe has an official knowledge base article to spread misinformation.  This issue IS NOT a problem with Office 2010 x64 and the Microsoft link does not even state what Adobe claims it states. They have selectively copied parts of the information on that page to emphasize part of the guidance over the intent of the full explanation.   It is because the third party vendor (in this case Adobe) has not developed a 64 bit add in for IT'S PRODUCT - Adobe Acrobat - that the add in does not work.  Until Adobe does this there will be no add in support.  Much like the x64 versions of PS CS4 and CS5, it is on the third party add in developer to address and Adobe (in this case) is that developer.  If one wants the real technical explanation please look at the following:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

To state that it is an issue with Office 2010 x64 would be the equivalent of saying that it was Adobe's fault that 32 bit add ins did not work in the 64 bit version(s) of Photoshop.  That has not exactly been Adobe's position with its own 64 bit application over the past couple years....

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say I was amazed when I bought and installed Acrobat 10 and found it was STILL not working with x64 apps!! Flash seems to be finally there and runs well in IE9 x64, but Acrobat!!! It's a major annoyance when you click on a link only to have to save it locally and then open in in Acrobat Pro - but that pales compared to the issues we are now experiencing with our own software that needs to export data to PDF and Excel - if the customer has Office x64 installed we are goosed - even though our product will quite happily install as either x86 or x64, export to PDF will not work...

And what DID happen to creating a blank document? Can't seem to to that at all in this version!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With thanks to CT Dave - have resolved the blank page issue - try finding that in the help files if you can - click on the 'Customise Quick Tools' icon and add 'More insert options' from 'Pages'

Just click the 'More insert options' icon now on the toolbar and 'Insert Blank Page'

Thanks again for the heads up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day everyone,

Let me begin by apologizing for the incorrect information contained in the first iteration of our knowledgebase article CPSID_88296.  The document has been updated with corrected, accurate information.

The  bottom line is that we have not developed a 64-bit PDFMaker add-in that  is compatible with Office 2010 (x64).  I have passed along your  feedback on this issue to the Acrobat product team.  If they choose to  release a 64-bit add-in, I will share that information on this forum  thread.

Again, I apologize for the incorrect information in the original version of our knowledgebase article.

Regards,

David Kastendick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave_m_k wrote:

Good day everyone,

Let me begin by apologizing for the incorrect information contained in the first iteration of our knowledgebase article CPSID_88296.  The document has been updated with corrected, accurate information.

The  bottom line is that we have not developed a 64-bit PDFMaker add-in that  is compatible with Office 2010 (x64).  I have passed along your  feedback on this issue to the Acrobat product team.  If they choose to  release a 64-bit add-in, I will share that information on this forum  thread.

Again, I apologize for the incorrect information in the original version of our knowledgebase article.

Regards,

David Kastendick

I was saying if you can create an actual definite 64-Bit version of Adobe Acrobat. Not an add-in like you did for Acrobat 9 (as even with this I had problems). SO, therefore, an add-in WILL NOT fix this problem. Instead, a full 64-bit Acrobat will. I suggest also that you add both 32-bit + 64-bit versions as options in the setup as well, so that we can choose from either one within the same setup. Or create one version of Acrobat which can do both x86 as well as x64 at the same time, switching from one to the other, whenever it detects different things need different compatibility settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was saying if you can create an actual definite 64-Bit version of Adobe Acrobat. Not an add-in like you did for Acrobat 9 (as even with this I had problems). SO, therefore, an add-in WILL NOT fix this problem. Instead, a full 64-bit Acrobat will.

Other than for compatibility with Office 2010 x64 there are no identified reasons to rewrite Acrobat in native 64-bit code. Even with extremely large PDF files containing video and 3D annotations, the memory available to a 32-bit program is perfectly sufficient. Given the huge code footprint of Acrobat, and the obvious problems that an x64 build will have on the thousands of plugin developers, I can't see it happening. A proxy handler as issued for Acrobat 9 is the only practicable solution.

Or create one version of Acrobat which can do both x86 as well as x64 at the same time, switching from one to the other, whenever it detects different things need different compatibility settings.

That's not how Windows works - an appliction is either one architecture or the other, but can never be both. That's why programs which have two flavors (Photoshop, MS Office, etc.) install as two completely discrete applications with their own plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm angry about this also. I bought Acrobat X as an upgrade to 9 and I have to use PDF995 to create pdf files from Word 2010 64x. It's unbelievable Adobe missed the boat on this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2010 Dec 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I just upgraded my Acrobat 9 (which totally worked!), to find this. What's wrong with you Adobe? Taking steps back? Just move your precious bums to x64 already, it is almost 2011!

I am still in amazement to find it is not working in a new version, while it was working correctly in a "deprecate" one. Print to PDF printer, eh? Why modify my workflow, and for worse? I can understand bugs (only Lord knows how many they are!), but this?

I am hardly abstaining from cursing and calling names and keep on reminding me that I'm a civilized individual. I just wish I knew this. Who had this stupid idea and why the other brainstorming guys around him/her didn't enlighten this person about the stupidity of this action?

The big question:

Are you planning to move to x64 and offer the damn ribbon for Office 2010 x64, just like you did with Acrobat Pro 9? Are you working on this issue? Or you dream that the world will eat x32 cookies forever?

Thank you.

Oh, but let me sign: A deeply satisfied customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That's why I paid the license fee for PDF995, so I can print PDFs from Microsoft Word 2010 x64. Acrobat X pro will print from the 64 bit Word, but it took almost 3 hours to print a 326 page eBook I've written. PDF995 takes 3 minutes to print the same book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to add I am as frustrated as every other customer on this  page and hope Adobe gets their crap together on this problem.  My  company develops software and our customers don't let us get away with  lack of support for X64 Office products.

One person on  this thread commented that Acrobat 9 supports Created PDF from Office  x64 ribbon...  is that true?  I have a license for that but wasted my  money upgrading because some moron at Adobe customer service either lied  or stupidly informed me that upgrading would fix my problem....  If I  can downgrade, at this point I will.  But I am not willing to downgrade  my Office x64 because Excel runs much quicker and I have complex  spreadsheets...

Thanks and please Adobe, fix this  stupid bug.  That is what this is - a bug.  You should not release  products that don't work on existing platforms you used to support.  You  are supposed to be cutting edge...  you are ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Acrobat 9 Pro with Office x64 and the integration is present and fully functional in Excel/Word and I'm pretty sure Powerpoint too. Used these products together for months.

I didn't used the ribbon add-in from Office much, however I used very often the "Create PDF from file" inside Acrobat 9 Pro. This function is still available in Acrobat X, it works very good for txt, eps, and jpg files (tested), but doc, docx and xlsx fail miserably with the message:

"Missing PDFMaker files.

Do you want to run the installer in repair mode?"

When I first saw this a few hours ago, I thought "Well I'm sure the upgrade did not work smoothly.  I don't trust Repair Modes but hey, let's give it a shot". Few minutes later, after the repair, same message. Opened Word/Excel, guess what, gone was the PDF integration in the ribbon... and then I found this thread.

Wanted to mail Support, but after reading that this is not a bug but default behaviour... what can I say? I hope this will be fixed as it is an embarrassing bug for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Acrobat 9 Pro with Office x64 and the integration is present and fully functional in Excel/Word and I'm pretty sure Powerpoint too. Used these products together for months.

That was by accident rather than by design - it shouldn't have been installed because it really didn't work properly (a few isolated commands might go through, but lots didn't). Acrobat 9 didn't check the version of Office first, so installed the add-ons. Acrobat X does, so won't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it was a most fortunate accident for me, since it never gave any errors. I admit I used the Acrobat 9/Office 2010 x64 combo pretty rare, maybe 5 times a week or so, I use Acrobat with Indesign/print production/preflight mostly. But I did use this combo for months without problems.

OK, so no ribbon add-in in Office x64. Umm... I'm not panicking. Not scared. I'm not phased by this too much. I'll just pretend I don't know it's supposed to be there!

But what about the Create PDF from file function? What PDFMaker files are missing? Why didn't Acrobat X let me know during it's installation that it would mess up with Office status? Shit - I'm panicking right about now! Big Brother Adobe, make it work! We feed you money like crazy. Do something.

There are a lot of issues related to this incompatibility, and it's rather obvious to everyone that this is a major step back for Adobe Acrobat. That was completely unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@if7844 I had this problem with Acrobat 9 as well! Every versions starting from 9.4, had this crap

of a bug!

@razielish This is also my problem! "Missing files", I have this too! Can someone fix this problem?!

@Dave Merchant Not everyone had an excellent experience with Acrobat 9. In fact, my problem is not only X, yet 9 also did not work with Office x64! You have to explain to me why on some computers it works, while on others, It failes miserably!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am equally angry. I was using Adobe 7 and realized that it did not have full functionality with Office 2010 64bit. You can print

to .pdf but you cannot convert files in office format into .pdf using convert to .pdf or combine files in acrobat function.

I bought the Adobe X upgrade since I needed that feature urgently to get my taxes ready for my accountant. I was thorougly disappointed that this did NOT fix the issue. I would have never spent the money if I had known that ahead of time. Yes, after a prolonged search I came across the disclosure that Adobe X does not work fully with Office 2010 64bit. But: This information was not given when Adobe ran my credit card and took my money.  And then I wasted half an hour installing, not to mention figuring out on my own that it will not work.

Could you folks at Adobe please bring your software up to date? You might feel safe because you own the standard for document storage today but please consider the needs of your customers who run 64 bit. I think this it is really disappointing that this issue still has not been fixed . If there was an alternative today, I would switch. Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Series of events:

Purchased Windows 7 PC. 64 Bit OS

Installed MS Office 2003

Installed Acrobat 8.0.

While I did not have the complete functionality of converting Office documents to pdf's,

I could print documents and emails to pdfs.

I then upgraded my Acrobat to X. Still could print to pdf, but not do conversions.

I then upgraded to Office 2010, 64 bit. After upgrading to Office 2010, I cannot print,or convert documents to pdf using Acrobat X.

I cannot convert, or print e-mails to Pdf's in Outlook 2011. I cannot print or convert Word documents or Excel spreadsheets to to pdf's.

The only thing i can do is "Save As" a Word document into a pdf. I cannot use Acrobat X in Excel or Outlook at all.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we've said many times and as is made very clear on the product specifications KB article, Acrobat X is not currently compatible with Office 64-bit. There is no solution other than to be patient, and wait for an update.

Acrobat X fully supports Windows 7, both 64-bit and 32-bit, but Acrobat X itself is a 32-bit application.

Acrobat X fully supports Office 2003, so if that combination wasn't working for you then there was something wrong with the way it was installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Article states that it supports Acrobat as pdf printer.

I can print to pdf in Word, and Excel, however, I cannot print pdf's from outlook.

I also cannot do a "save as" pdf in Outlook

Message was edited by: JoseHead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

It's been over a year and Adobe has been singing the same song this whole time.  When can all of us expect Acrobat X to support "Create PDF" from within Word 2010 64bit and Excel 2010 64bit?

It's frustrating that your product is not compatible with year old technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many products do not support x64 operation, not just Acrobat. The simple solution for OFFICE is to reinstall it as a 32-bit system and use that. Many applications don't really need 64-bits for operation anyway. For many office applications, 64-bits is more of a buzz word than it is a real improvement from what I have seen. Others may have actually found different results, but I have not seen them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines