Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Populating cookies from a SQL Query

Enthusiast ,
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a SQL query that I know for a fact will produce 4 records without fail

What I need to do is to store the data on an individual basis so that I can use each record independantly on the following page allowing me to set up hyperlinks based on each one including it's text description (from the query - cat_tiitle , and it's uid from the query, cat_uid)

I have written some code but it seems a little primative, I am thinking that there might be a better way to do this? I know it's only a small piece of code but it has the potential to be used a LOT so I need to make sure I have this as efficient as possible -->

<!--- GET THE 4 RECORDS --->

<CFQUERY NAME="GetCategories" DATASOURCE="#datasource#">
    SELECT cat_uid,cat_title
    FROM categories
    WHERE cat_uid IN (#valuelist(Validateinstall.install_preferences)#)
    ORDER by cat_title
</CFQUERY>

<!--- SET UP 4 INDIVIDUAL COOKIES WHICH HAVE THE UID AND THE TITLE --->

<CFLOOP query="GetCategories">

<CFCOOKIE NAME="pref_uid_#GetCategories.CurrentRow#" value="#GetCategories.cat_uid#">
<CFCOOKIE NAME="pref_title_#GetCategories.CurrentRow#" value="#GetCategories.cat_title#">

</CFLOOP>

<!--- DISPLAY THE 4 HYPERLINKS --->

<CFOUTPUT>

1. <a href="cat.cfm?cat_uid=#cookie.pref_uid_1#,#URLEncodedFormat(cookie.pref_title_1)#"

class="reg_text">#cookie.pref_title_1#</a>

2. <a href="cat.cfm?cat_uid=#cookie.pref_uid_2#,#URLEncodedFormat(cookie.pref_title_2)#"

class="reg_text">#cookie.pref_title_2#</a>

3. <a href="cat.cfm?cat_uid=#cookie.pref_uid_1#,#URLEncodedFormat(cookie.pref_title_3)#"

class="reg_text">#cookie.pref_title_3#</a>

4. <a href="cat.cfm?cat_uid=#cookie.pref_uid_4#,#URLEncodedFormat(cookie.pref_title_4)#"

class="reg_text">#cookie.pref_title_4#</a>

</CFOUTPUT>

Appreciate any thoughts on making this more efficient

Thanks

Mark

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be more efficient to forgo the cookies and use the query results in your anchor tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some reason you don't use SESSION variables.  Which are like COOKIES only better!

<!--- GET THE 4 RECORDS --->

<CFQUERY NAME="Session.GetCategories" DATASOURCE="#datasource#">
    SELECT cat_uid,cat_title
    FROM categories
    WHERE cat_uid IN (#valuelist(Validateinstall.install_preferences)#)
    ORDER by cat_title
</CFQUERY>

<!--- DISPLAY THE 4 HYPERLINKS --->
<cfoutput query="session.GetCategories">
     <a href="cat.cfm?catuid="#session.GetCategories.cat_uid#",#urlEncodedFormat(session.GetCategories.cat_title)#"
          class="reg_text">#session.GetCategories.cat_title#</a>
</cfoutput>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's interesting, I did not know you could read the results of a query directly into a session like that.

The issue I have is that we are running this on a shared server, and I know that this page could potentially receive a large amount of hits.

My concern I have is that there could be problems with too many sessions on the server at any time, I have no control over the administrator settings, plus the session could expire.

I figured that a cookie was a safer way to ensure that I did not have to be too concerned about the server settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sessions do expire.  If you are trying to persist this data for days and days, the first choice would be a database, or other data store, that would store the query recordset tied to a user specific key.  You would then just store the key in a single cookie.

Working out for there, you can store the recordset itself in a cookie as long as it is not too large.  You just have to incode it, <cfwddx....> would be the old school way to encode it, there are others now adays.

Or you can continue your current option.  I would probably use a <cfloop from="1" to="4" index="i"> to consolidate that output code some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I did wonder about stuffing that cookie with more data.

You think a CFLOOP over the results is quicker than just hard coding it to display each cookie?

Output -->

<a href="cat.cfm?cat_uid=#cookie.pref_uid_1#,#URLEncodedFormat

(cookie.pref_title_1)#"

class="newhyper_wht_12">#cookie.pref_title_1#</a>

<a href="cat.cfm?cat_uid=#cookie.pref_uid_2#,#URLEncodedFormat

(cookie.pref_title_2)#"

class="newhyper_wht_12">#cookie.pref_title_2#</a>

<a href="cat.cfm?cat_uid=#cookie.pref_uid_3#,#URLEncodedFormat

(cookie.pref_title_3)#"

class="newhyper_wht_12">#cookie.pref_title_3#</a>

<a href="cat.cfm?cat_uid=#cookie.pref_uid_4#,#URLEncodedFormat

(cookie.pref_title_4)#"

class="newhyper_wht_12">#cookie.pref_title_4#</a></CFOUTPUT>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about FASTER?

But I would think it would be easier to edit and maintain, which 9 times out of 11 is the more expensive and critical aspect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

True, normall I would use a loop but with it being a page that is going to get a lot of traffic I thought for this particular situation I'd avoid the loop, and try to squeeze as much as possible

sessions were a no go due to the risk of expiring. It looks like I've actually probably got the best solution in place for my situation.

I guess I'll leave it as-is.

Thanks for the input guys, I did learn something regarding the sessions into a query, very nice!

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation