• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clips Not Snapping together in Pre 9

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2010 Dec 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got the program and when I'm editing in timeline and I try to put one shot after another the clip doesn't "snap" on making it much harder to clips after each other and sync them to beats in the music.  Sorry for the poor discription but I really need help.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2010 Dec 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When placing a clip in the timeline next to another, try (while placing it, before releasing the mouse-button) to get it as close as the previous clip, and it should "snap" to it. Does this work for you?

However, if you are having problems with such a basic procedure, you should use the help menu of the program in order to get help, or you should search for some basic video tutorials that will demonstrate these procedures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have accidentally turned snap off. Press the key. This toggles snap on/off.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The S key toggle has gotten a lot of folk. It's easy to accidentally hit it, and one is not really aware that they have toggled Snap. Maybe Neale can educate me here, but PrPro also has a Snap icon, that shows when Snap is enabled. One can use it, or can use the S key. At least in that program, one can see the Snap icon, and it'll tell them when Snap has been turned ON, or OFF. Does PrE 9 have a Snap icon (along with the S key)? PrE 4 only had the menu Timeline>Snap or the S key.

Also a caveat. With Snap ON, be a bit gentle, when butting Clips up. If one "slams" the Clips into each other, a Frame, or two, of the preceding Clip can be sheared off, and it goes to the end of the Timeline, where it can very easily become an "Orphan," causing the Timeline's Duration to be longer, than one intends.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2010 Dec 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No icon that I can see.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2010 Dec 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neale,

Thanks for the confirmation. I knew that there was not one in PrE 4.0, though the contemporary PrPro 2.0 had it. Some features trickle down from PrPro to PrE, and I did not know if that was one.

Then, it seems that the only way to know the Snap Mode is to go to the Timeline>Snap drop-down menu from the Toolbar and look to see if Snap is checked.

Much appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you saved my life.

Was stressing out.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Thanks! All I did was press the S key and BAM! Clips started snapping together like anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! I thought I was going to lose my mind here, but then a ten year old forum discussion saved me. Amazing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Man Saved My Time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The S key is still getting people, myself included - just now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found this in 2023, and it saved me! Pressing the S key will still make clips snap together.  With all of the changes in the last few years, glad this one still works! Thank you so much!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help i was really stuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you bro,

I got the same problem in CC 2019

You very helped me.

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks.  I used to use Vegas where s would split a clip so I probably hit it out of habit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For "splitting a Clip," you would want to do one of two things:

Position the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line), where you wish to "split," and then hit Ctrl+K to Cut

Go to the exact spot that you wish to Cut, and use the Razor/Scissors Tool to do the same thing.

Note: this does NOT affect your original source footage, but only how the Timeline will Export/Share.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the newest version - Premiere Pro CC 2017 - you simply click on the space between the two clips and hit the "Backspace" button or "Delete". This will take all the footage after that gap and snap it back to the ending of the previous clip.

Another way to do it - but this is more tedious - is to highlight all the clips you want to move back in the sequence. Then take your cursor and drag the highlighted section to the ending of the previous clip. Little triangles should appear on top and below the place where your two clips meet. This means there are no breaks in the sequence nor overlaps. They will mesh perfectly.

Again, the first method is the easiest!

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Premiere ELEMENTS forum and you responded to a post from 2010

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One easy way that I've sometimes found useful is to "widen" the view area of the split but moving the Zoom-In slider to the right and dragging the right clip to the connection point. That's somewhat of a hack, but it works in all versions of PRE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a magnet button in the editing view on the top left above your clip sequencing area. You can click it on or off. Or it is the hot key (S) when over your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines