Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML help

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2006 Jun 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

Ive been looking at many example sites using robo help and Ive failed to find any that have a personalized banner. I was wondering if it was at all possible to incoporate ones own banner into robo help?

Thanx
Jizno

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please explain what you mean by "personalised banner"?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you look at http://www.RoboWizard.com, does this offer what you are seeking? From an appearance perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2006 Jun 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Thanks for the reply guys
What I mean by personalised banner, is a banner that isnt part of any template library.
More specifically a banner which could include a company logo and not just Robo help buttons :)
In essence how big can I make the top bar, and can I skin it the way I see fit?

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 20, 2006 Jun 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answers to all your questions are contained at the link that RoboWizard sent you two weeks ago.

As you read through all his workarounds, change all your "banner" references to "toolbar," and you'll be fine.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2006 Jun 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: MergeThis
The answers to all your questions are contained at the link that RoboWizard sent you two weeks ago.

To be fair, it took some clicking around to actually find anything 'helpful' on that web site. Its format isn't very user friendly - "Grimoires" is not the first place I would have looked to find information on how to change RoboHelp banners/skins, or any RoboHelp information, for that matter.

~Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2006 Jun 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jessica

LOL, sorry if the site confuses you. If you have ever used WebHelp, you should recognize the format easily. Granted, it's a pretty customized version of WebHelp. But RoboHelp WebHelp nonetheless.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 28, 2006 Jun 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jessica:

I just revisited Rick's site and I'm confused about your confusion. It took just a few clicks to understand that the top six pages were "front matter," then the very first "chapter" titled Grimoires, when opened, lists helpful stuff including free downloads of his Tips & Tricks and Skinny on Skins. Clicking the next "chapter" titled Monthly Scry reveals yet more and more helpful stuff.

Perhaps Rick's fascination with medieval "magick" has raised some deep-seated aversion response from you, but I'd hardly call his site non-helpful...nor would the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of help authors who've used his stuff over and over. What's even more upsetting about this, is that it comes on the heels of some bomb-thrower who took offense to Rick's humorous view of today's help authoring tool state. That thread became ugly, and toxic, for no good reason.

FLAME ON!!!!
Bottom line: did you find something that you can use to relieve the angst that caused you to post your original message? If not, you should restate your problem in terms that even us slugs can understand, instead of exhibiting such boorish behavior. You'll find us all a curious lot, anxious to help fellow authors use this marvelous tool. As my college professor told me in an Editing course (after I had viciously hacked up a sample submission and pretty impressed with myself, I don't mind saying), "Reverence is not compulsory in your remarks to the author; common courtesy is, however."
FLAME OFF!!!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2007 Feb 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: MergeThis
Jessica:

I just revisited Rick's site and I'm confused about your confusion. It took just a few clicks to understand that the top six pages were "front matter," then the very first "chapter" titled Grimoires, when opened, lists helpful stuff including free downloads of his Tips & Tricks and Skinny on Skins. Clicking the next "chapter" titled Monthly Scry reveals yet more and more helpful stuff.

Perhaps Rick's fascination with medieval "magick" has raised some deep-seated aversion response from you, but I'd hardly call his site non-helpful...nor would the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of help authors who've used his stuff over and over. What's even more upsetting about this, is that it comes on the heels of some bomb-thrower who took offense to Rick's humorous view of today's help authoring tool state. That thread became ugly, and toxic, for no good reason.

FLAME ON!!!!
Bottom line: did you find something that you can use to relieve the angst that caused you to post your original message? If not, you should restate your problem in terms that even us slugs can understand, instead of exhibiting such boorish behavior. You'll find us all a curious lot, anxious to help fellow authors use this marvelous tool. As my college professor told me in an Editing course (after I had viciously hacked up a sample submission and pretty impressed with myself, I don't mind saying), "Reverence is not compulsory in your remarks to the author; common courtesy is, however."
FLAME OFF!!!

Good luck,
Leon

Hello,

Boorish behavior? There is no reason to be upset and use such harsh words - what happened to the common courtesy you talked about at the end of your post? I am not trying attack or belittle anyone; I simply do not think that the layout of his web site is user friendly, and that isn't meant to be an attack or demeaning to the webmaster - I am just stating my opinion in regards to the overall look of the site. I stick to my original point that "Grimoires" is not a helpful title, and first-time users of the web site would not know at first glance that that is where the majority of helpful RoboHelp information is stored. The fact that it is the sixth link down does not help either, because typical users will click the first thing that they see in the TOC (which is a picture of a wizard and tells me nothing about the web site), and if they don't find what they are looking for immediately, they will leave and not come back.

I mean, this really isn't a big deal, it is not my web site and the web master seems happy with the design. I think "RoboWizard" is cute and I like how it fits with the domain name and I like how the site mirrors WebHelp in its design, but a webmaster bio isn't the first thing I want to see when I come to the site. I want to find answers to my RoboHelp questions, and that information is not easily identifiable in the TOC. I do not deny that the web site has a lot of helpful information, but to the non-wizarding eye, it is not easy to find, and it could be presented better.

It might benefit you, Rick, to at least have a blurb under the "Merry Meet!" RoboWizard graphic stating the purpose of the web site ("Welcome to..."), and then an explaination of each section of the site. For example: "Click 'Grimoires' to read about RoboHelp tips, tricks, and procedures, including how to apply skins, change TOC icons, add or remove book plus/minus signs, and other magical finds!" or something.

Again, this is just my opinion and you can easily disregard it; I am just giving you my opinion based on my first-time experience with the site.

~Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2006 Jun 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The robowizard site does indeed have A LOT of very interesting stuff
The only problem here is that there is A LOT of stuff
Id love to read through all of it, but this is for work and I am on a deadline
hehe
If anyone could tell me where I could find how to add a banner I would really appreciate it.
To avoid confusion a banner is a big personalized image that would be place on top of the toolbar and that would span the width of the screen.

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2006 Jul 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

II achieve something similar with a javascript file that generates my topic headers. I have used this to produce a banner at the top of each topic in the past.

The benefit being that you can change the banner in all topics by just editing the one .js file.

Let me know if you need more info,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 16, 2007 Feb 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you noticed how many postings Robowizard/Captiv8r is up to now? 4153.

Do you have any idea how many hours he's devoted to that web site and helping users in this and other forums?

No, apparently not.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2007 Apr 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, he has put a lot of time and effort into it, I have no doubt about that.

I don't believe the number of posts equates to having the most knowledge, and that goes for any message board about any subject. Someone could post very little and know just as much as someone who has posted thousands of times.

This is a pretty slow-moving board, which is why I don't come here and post more often. You don't miss much here if you're away for a few months. I am a member of a very popular band message board, and their forums move very fast. If no one responds, a post could be on page 5 in an hour. I have 15,000+ posts over there, and there are people who "only" have a couple hundred who know various things that I don't. We can learn from everyone regardless of how many posts you have.

~Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2007 Apr 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Jessica

Wow, I'm amazed that one would be able to keep up with that many posts and that much traffic. Then again, perhaps that board appeals to a much broader audience. You must admit, RoboHelp is fairly narrow in its focus.

However, as far as message boards for product support go, I believe this one moves pretty quickly. At least that's always been my experience.

I would agree with your position that post count and actual domain knowledge do not go hand in hand. I think that Leon was just trying to make a point that I've tried to be as helpful as I know how to here. And again, I offer my apologies that my own brand of WebHelp site isn't found helpful by you. To be fair and totally honest, I think yours is the only comment along those lines I've ever heard or received. Not trying to be argumentative, just stating I've not had complaints.

Hopefully you will find RoboHelp to be as enjoyable an experience as the rest of us have. After all, life's far too fleeting and short to be miserable.

Sincerely... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp