Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some ADE sample ebooks (ascm) won't download

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2009 Jul 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Some ADE sample ebooks will download and some don't. How is this possible?

By clicking for an example on the ebook "sway", it will automatically download into ADE. Other ebooks, like "antonia" won't download. I get an pop-up venster to either open the file in ADE or to save the file.

The solutions I tried, and didn't work:

- to uninstall & reinstall ADE

- to save the file (ascm) and then try to open it => I get the message "Fout bij opvragen van licentie, Communicatieprobleem met server: E_ADEPT_DATABASE"

- to open the file in ADE => I get the message "Fout bij opvragen van licentie, Communicatieprobleem met server: E_ADEPT_DATABASE"

- to download the ebook "antonia" from another webbrowser

- to search the internet for days for solutions

- to contact adobe (the didn't reply)

My computer settings are:

Mac 10.5.7

ADE 1.7

Firefox

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Land1981

The Netherlands

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just want to add that I've had exactly this problem, too, a day later.

With ADE 1.71 I can download the Alice In Wonderland and Huckleberry Finn samples -- but cannot download My Antonia, or Sherlock Holmes.

For these, ADE downloaded a URLLink.acsm file, but did not download or open the book.  Also, there ADE gave no error -- simply nothing happened!!  (I eventually found the URLLink.acsm file deep in the bowels of my file system, but it's uselesss.)

(Is it because some are newer samples, and others are older samples?)

I was going to download an ebook from Wiley Press, but their test sample had exactly the same problem, and I did not want to order a $100+ book and not have ADE open it.

So I just abandoned ADE.

As others have said, this will become a huge business problem for Adobe and their partners, especially since ADE does not have a User Interface that gives a even rudimentary error or status message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2009 Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am another one suffering the same problem: just a few demo books downloaded and now I can download not a single one more. Digital Editions opens if it's closed when I download the ascm file, but it does nothing, just stays silent (how helpful!), and ignores any subsequent books I try to download. No way I would risk to buy a book with this happening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/445354

I have to download instead of directy opening the ascm files, but the downloads work. This blocking "feature" of Vista is something I hadn't seen seen before, I had no info about it. It's very cumbersome to have to unblock the files one by one, but al least I didn't have to rename them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I also read the threat you mentioned but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I have a mac computer ....... But anyway thanks ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A year later than the rest of the posts and I am having the exact same problem with the Adobe books and with ePub books from my local library.  I cannot seem to find any answers at this website.  The techie at my local library is trying to help. So far no solution.  Any solutions out there? Do the Adobe people read these posts?  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2010 Oct 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even later in time:  Same problem, except I have not gotten a single book to download from "sample

books".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2010 Dec 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had same prob with a new nook. was using firefox and changed to chrome and works like a charm although i am getting books from google(mostly free)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines