17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2011 10:15 AM by ethanvirus

PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system

Harm Millaard Level 7

I have been wondering for some time how to increase the value of all those data we have gathered with the Benchmark Results.

I finally figured it out and there is now additional information available that will show you which systems deliver the best bang-for-the-buck, the best value for money.

Have a look here: PPBM5 Latest News

• 1. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
          JCschild Level 3

WOW that gave me a headache... lot of data to extrapolate.

very very hard to do with user supplied data i applaud the effort

far too many variables.

ideally i would do it this way (but as you mentioned in another thread you need hardware a lot of hardware)

base system (say 950 12 gig 470, 3 hdd)

then %gain vs % cost to go to 970,980, OCed 980 (change nothing else but CPU)

then go to Dual Xeons..

next change 12 to 24 to 48 gig ram same thing %cost vs gain

next drives going from 3 to 5 (2 sets raid 0) then to 7 (2 sets of 4 raid 0) on controller, then say oh a raid 5 with 8 drives/controller) (i have those numbers already)

and of course 460 to 470 to 480 to quadro... (i think most of us know that answer)

then a complete set

say base system mentioned

then to a 24gig 980 OC with 5 drives (best bang for buck IMHO)

then to a dual Xeon 3.33GHz @ 4ghz with a sonnet type external. (or 8 drive internal)

Eric is going to do the 460 to 470 video

Scott

ADK

• 2. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
            Harm Millaard Level 7

WOW that gave me a headache... lot of data to extrapolate.

very very hard to do with user supplied data i applaud the effort

far too many variables.

That was exactly the reason for the shortcuts I took and why it took all that time to come up with a sensible but meaningful approach.

Of course your approach is more accurate, but takes a lot of time and even more hardware for the testing. This was the best I could think of with the means available.

• 3. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
              JCschild Level 3

all things considered i think its not bad...

• 4. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                JaysonM-Y Level 3

wish it also had a literal price range key like 8.0 - 7.0 would be 6,000 - ???? etc.

• 5. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                  UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks Harm and Bill - good work that we all can benifit from.

Do you by the way have any oppinion on the Seagate momentus discs:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/laptop-hdd

They seem pretty good, and seems cheaper than f.ex. WD Velocity Raptor.

Thanks.

/Ulf

• 6. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

@Jason.

That is by definition impossible. Simple example: My own system with an i7-920, 12 GB memory and a GTX 480 is much cheaper than the HP Z600 DR with dual Xeon X5670, 24 GB memory and a FX 4800, yet my performance is better, so my score on BFTB is 7.2 and the HP Z600 DR comes out at a BFTB score of 1.0. If anything could be said about price relationships to BFTB scores, you would see an inverse relationship, 1 being the most costly or worst performing systems and the 7-8 range being the lowest cost and best perfoming systems, as shown in the chart.

You could have identical systems in terms of the cost (same CPU, memory and video card), but if one is twice as fast as the other the BFTB score would be much higher for the faster system. It is all about the performance per $, so tuning pays off in terms of a better BFTB score.

@Ulf.

Reviews I have seen about the Seagate Momentus disks were not very good. Performance was said to be disappointing and no reflection of the marketing promises about it.

• 7. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                      UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks for the info Harm - I'll stay away from them I guess.

/Ulf

• 8. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                        JCschild Level 3

why are you looking at laptop drives?

if you own a laptop then yes the Seagate are great the XT hybrid you linked to does not benchmark much better than standard

but i do they are worth it yes.

Scott

ADK

• 9. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                          Crist OC/PC Level 2

Dear Harm.

Will you share your O.C. config?

I guees you shoul have something like tha t.

CPU Multi X20

Block 180

Ram Multi x10

Ram Speed 1800 mhz IF (the ram multi = 10). IF NOT(IF  the ram mulit=8 ;1440 mhz.)

My question  is what is your RAM cl and frequency.

You guys should get a validation and full details from CPU Z when we send results to the ppbm.

B.R.

• 11. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                            Crist OC/PC Level 2

Hello harm. Today I got 6GB RAM dominator 7-7-7-20 1600 and a  EVGA gtx470

SUPERCLOCKED.

Will be funny the result.

If i got a W.D.RAPTOR +. so in total 3raptors and I have other wd c.green

2t. What will you do for the H.D. CONFIG????

2010/11/5 Harm Millaard <forums@adobe.com>

Look here:

>

>

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/46761/5-11-2010+20-38-42.png

>

• 12. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                              Crist OC/PC Level 2

Dear harm.  I already finishes to  tests  the GTX470 . After I have tried different O.C. I do not have left to say but  that I have grans respect by your equipment. Here I leave my results which already send to PPBM5.

Crist and MadDog OC/PC;Personal or Computer ID

GIGABYTE;Computer Manufacturer

GA-EX58-EXTREME;Computer Model

226;secs Total Benchmark Time

;Performance index

75;secs AVI  Encoding Time

61;secs MPEG Elapsed Time

85;secs H.264 Elapsed Time

5;secs Rendering Time

• 13. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                                ethanvirus Level 1

Hi Harm,

I am just working on my new computer and unfortunately I have a lot of trouble because I spent quite some money and the workflow is not smooth, although I have only some animations and a HD video, which I am already playbacking on a third resolution in Premiere.

I read on your link that "Currently the i7-950 with 12 GB memory and a GTX 470 seems to be  the sweet point for economic high performance systems if properly tuned  and overclocked."

Well thats exactly the system I have, only I did not overclock.

i own a SSD 64Gig for my system and a 1TB for all the projects.
                                I tried the PPBM5 but the statistics file wouldnt open up.

So my question is: what do I have to change in my system, so it works smooth`?

What I did already:

- set the pagefile to 18 gig (on D:, not C:)

- get the latest 260.99 Driver from Nvidia

- set the 3D performance settings for AE, PR, AME to High Performance (instead of Adaptive)

- turn off all unnecessary programs (anivir, sidebars, etc)

- of course set the MPE to GPU Acceleration (which is annoying, when images aint smooth and you cant prerender)

- give Premiere, AE and AME 9 Gig of Ram.

- set the "Optimize rendering for" to Performance.

Its really disappointing since I spent almost 2500 bucks on a system thats not doing its job.

Please help man.

• 14. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                                  Crist OC/PC Level 2

You 'll get some help. But firs understan these. Your HDD CONFIG is horrible, you are not OC, we dont even know what motherboard or RAM  are you using.

Try to give those details, be aware you have to modifed your hdd config "ask to harm or erik about it" and get ready to make OC, a simple one +- 3.8 GHZ.

How can man replay 10 question in a minute if there are only 5 to him??

How you thing is the comunication between all the components of your pc???

You need help for your hd config and there is a lot on these foro.

I'll make a O.C. GUIDE tonight for I7.

• 15. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

@ Cristobal: There already is an OC Guide: Adobe Forums: Overclocking the i7, a beginners guide

@ Ethan: With 169 entries in the benchmark now (I will update the results today) there have been no problems whatsoever in running the script, provided:

You follow the instructions to the letter.

Whenever there was a problem, it was because the instructions were not followed exactly. Possibly a wrong preset chosen in the AME export, or something similar.

When I started to design this benchmark and tested it again and again, I simply printed out my own instructions and followed all to the letter and never encountered a problem.

I suggest you completely remove the PPBM directory and all sub-directories, unzip the downloaded file again, print out the instructions and start from scratch. That will work faster than trying to see where you went wrong and will prevent corrupted data by leftovers.

• 17. Re: PPBM5: Best bang-for-the-buck system
                                      ethanvirus Level 1

Ok I just took the test again and sent it to ppbm@att.net-

I am sorry I wasnt able to answer some of the questions concering the system specs. But let me know If you need additional info.

Thanks again for the good work you guys put up.

I really appreciate it!